Fiendish Nymph

41,275 Points
  • Miasmal Lake Champion 500
  • Devoted Fortune Seeker 400
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
I spy more future puppies

Shirtless Receiver

MoonRazor

Bracken twitched in his sleep, his eyes fluttering as he dreamed. He was chasing one of those things he'd heard of... deer, was it called? He was chasing a buck, but he wasn't quite sure what it looked like. He imagined himself, though - a rusty-brown picture of youth, strength, stamina... he reached the thing's legs. It was gargantuan, red-eyed, thrusting its neck wildly from side to side and rearing on its paws. Bracken leaned back on his haunches, let out a deathly snarl, let his muscles spring forward... crack.

Bracken jerked up. "What's, wha," he mumbled, staring lazily ahead. It took a moment for him to realize that he had been dreaming. Collecting himself, he swerved around in a less-than-noble fashion, looking for the source of the sound.

"Evie," he presumed, mumbling under his breath.

// sorry for how long that took, had to have an awkward convo with my suite-mate. x__x
spottedleef

Uh-oh... busted. As the twig snapped under her paw, Evie froze, eyes wide. Obviously she was in trouble now. Bracken had made it perfectly clear that she wasn't really supposed to wander about on her own, especially not in the early hours of the morning, and especially not out to where she had been planning to go - namely, the fences. Ever since the wolf had found her there and told her adamantly that she was not to go peeking around, she had felt more and more like she needed to go and see what the deal was for herself.

Of course, she hadn't exactly counted on accidentally waking her new-fake-dad up. That darned stick! She felt the breath fizzle out of her chest as she glanced down at the offending object, shaking her head. Now she was in trouble.

Then again... a light bulb seemed to spark in her mind, and her head popped up. If she was already in trouble, then... no doubt she couldn't get in much more trouble, which meant she ought to capitalize on her situation. A cheeky grin split her dainty face, and without waiting for Bracken to fully awaken, she darted away from the den.

Piroska had not been counting on being mowed down by anything so early in the morning - especially not a little pup. Every morning, the she-wolf woke with the sun and got up to work the restlessness from her legs. It was difficult for her to stay still for long. Though she had matured into a fine wolf, there was still part of a puppy's heart inside, and there was nothing she loved more than being active and moving all day long.

Of course, now that she was older, she no longer felt the need to go careening about all over the compound, and often a nice, long walk suited her just as well as a quick run.

A walk was exactly what she had been doing when, out of the blue, a ball of brown fur came skidding around a bush and plowed headfirst into her legs, rebounding backwards and sitting half-stunned in the grass.

Oh dear.

"... are... you okay?" She managed to say.

Shirtless Receiver

MoonRazor

Naturally. It was Evie. Thoughts raced in his head... you ought not to stray away from the den! You could get hurt! You could get... But no. These were paternal thoughts. He was not her father.

"Evie," he snapped, but by the time he shook the fatigue from his face, the youngster had disappeared. "Evie?" He inquired angrily. No response. Now he was getting worried. "Evie, come back here!"

Bracken stumbled forward, squinting as the sun hit his eyes. It was not often a wolf saw a sunny day; he could be glad for that, at least.

"Ev--"

He stopped. Another wolf. Considerably smaller than he, but - it had Evie. Bracken immediately raised his hackles, and lowered his body dangerously, letting loose a cat-like hiss under his breath.

Oh God. What if something happened to... no...

"Give her back," he growled.
spottedleef

Unfortunately for Bracken, his insistence that he was not her father didn't deter Evie from considering him to be exactly that. As such, she seemed to just assume that he was going to follow after her and ruin her fun with overly rationalized pronouncements about the various dangers of her chosen activities. The fact that he usually did only reinforced that train of thought.

At the moment, though, she could care less. The little pup's eyes rolled in her head, but not, as they usually did, because she was humoring Bracken's concerns. This time, it was because there were... stars? floating eerily in her vision, and everything looked kind of weird and blurry.

"Oof..." she managed to say, barely even noticing Bracken's appearance on the scene. What exactly had happened in the past twenty seconds was completely beyond her. All she knew was that... something kind of hurt.

"Oh, no, no," Piroska said hastily when the pup tried to get up, pushing her lightly back into a sitting position with her nose. "Just sit still for a little bit, or you'll fall and knock yourself silly." Common sense had always been her strong suit.

And then, just as out of the blue as the pup had been, another wolf charged onto the scene. Larger than herself, so Piroska assumed he was a male. Definitely, by the way he acted, it seemed as if he was. The sudden aggression that he displayed almost had her backing away carefully - the last thing she wanted to risk was a fight on this fine morning - when it occurred to her that... she wasn't the one being unreasonable.

"Well, hey, just a minute now!" She declared indignantly, flattening her ears and lifting her her head. "I was just trying to help. Nobody's holding her hostage, and... and how do I know she'd be safe with you?"

Shirtless Receiver

MoonRazor

Bracken's eyes narrowed. He recognized the voice of a she-wolf, even if he hadn't been around others of his kind - Evie aside - in quite some time. A sassy one... but although he sensed no harm from her, Bracken could not help but doubt Piroska's intentions.

"She's," he began to snap, but caught himself. "She's, ah, I'm her," Bracken babbled, finally settling on, "She's mine."

He lowered his hackles and rose slowly, taking a calming breath, yet his ears still lay glued to his head.

"I don't want to fight," he said, eyeing the girl up and down. Not like he couldn't take her. Suddenly he jerked his head toward the fencing in the distance. "You're not from there, are you? You know the place," Bracken asked with a bite in his tone. If she was...

He took a proud step forward, daring the she-wolf to challenge him. He neared the pup more and more, and with panic realized that she was knocked out.

"Just give me my, give me Evie back," he said, almost pleaded - for there was a sense of fear in his voice that he tried to hold back.
Guess what, Cheza? Jackal's gonna be an UNCLE.

Shirtless Receiver

Soooo.... I told you all that I was doing this gradually. wink

exclaim Congrats to our newest lovely colorist, odet amo! ;D She'll be doing the newest breeding. Let's give her a big staff welcome!

Beloved Hunter

8,075 Points
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Grunny Rainbow 100
  • Gaian 50
yeah new person

I am on semi hiatus till my new power cord arrives

Feral Kitten

12,975 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Team Jacob 100