Welcome to Gaia! ::

Sparkly Gekko

Hello! It has come to my attention that I either suck at searching for stand-alone novels in the urban fantasy section, or they aren't all that popular. I was wondering if anyone has some recommendations? Nothing with love triangles, please.

Questionable Worker

8,575 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Bookworm 100
  • Unfortunate Abductee 175
Sparrow Hill Road by Seanen McGuire is about an urban legend turned reality. It's really good and a stand alone, though I think it crosses over with a series by the same author. But you don't need to read the series to read and enjoy the book. I've not.

Also Indexing by the same. Fairy tales crossed with the FBI. Again, also good and a standalone. But I wouldn't object if she carried it on.

I'm going through a Seanen McGuire phase at the moment. sweatdrop

I think they're both urban fantasy...if you mean urban fantasy in the sense of a masquerade type fantasy society living along side a contemporary setting type place.

Sparkly Gekko

Strangerthan
Sparrow Hill Road by Seanen McGuire is about an urban legend turned reality. It's really good and a stand alone, though I think it crosses over with a series by the same author. But you don't need to read the series to read and enjoy the book. I've not.

Also Indexing by the same. Fairy tales crossed with the FBI. Again, also good and a standalone. But I wouldn't object if she carried it on.

I'm going through a Seanen McGuire phase at the moment. sweatdrop

I think they're both urban fantasy...if you mean urban fantasy in the sense of a masquerade type fantasy society living along side a contemporary setting type place.
That's exactly what I mean by urban fantasy. Thanks very much for your recommendations! smile

Angelic Muse

15,675 Points
  • Angelic Alliance 100
  • Divine Donator 100
  • Forum Regular 100
I don't have any specific novel to recommend because so far I have mostly read his short story collections, but Charles de Lint writes some great urban fantasy. Most of his novels are set in the same imaginary town, but you can read them separately and in any order.

Sparkly Gekko

FindingJackie
I don't have any specific novel to recommend because so far I have mostly read his short story collections, but Charles de Lint writes some great urban fantasy. Most of his novels are set in the same imaginary town, but you can read them separately and in any order.
I actually quite enjoy short stories as well, so thank you. I'll add him to my list. smile

Blessed Sex Symbol

7,450 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Partygoer 500
  • Tycoon 200
I'm not the best with stand alone novels, but a fantastic Urban Fantasy series is The Dresden Files. It is action packed, utterly hilarious, and super enjoyable. I love those books.

Wheezing Fatcat

5,600 Points
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Person of Interest 200
Not really a stand alone, but the White Trash Zombie series by Diana Rowland. You could probably start from any of the books and still know what's going on. She does a pretty good job with getting you on track with what's going on without taking time away from the actual storyline.

Also books by Neil Gaiman, A. Lee Martinez, Christopher Moore and Jesse Petersen are always good go-to's for stand alone urban fantasy. 3nodding

Space Werewolf

Try "London Falling" by Paul Cornell. Its sequel "The Severed Streets" was published recently, but I haven't read it yet.

O.G. Gaian

As Jackie said, Charles de Lint. The Newford stories are all entertwined, inasmuch as the main characters all know each other, but each of the novels is its own narrative.

American Gods by Neil Gaiman's another one. Some Stephen Kings would probably fall into the category, too (though I'd only call them "urban" because they're set in what's supposed to be contemporary reality, as opposed to an alternate reality that looks vaguely like medieval Europe...).

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff