Welcome to Gaia! ::

5,050 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Explorer 100
i completely unironically want this book

because i actually love Tyra Banks

but those NAMES, oh man...
Have you seen the Tyra Banks show? Have you seen America's Next Top Model?

That quote sounded just like the way she talks... and she said it was based on her life, so why shouldn't it sound like her?
A ways back my boss was asking everyone for book titles we wanted to see in the bookstore. My coworker was joking and said Modelland. I had no idea it was a real book until Monday when I saw it at the library. I read the prologue and laughed my a** off. The bit about the fog lifting like a push up bra...

Romantic Lunatic

I like Tyra Banks...though I'd imagine she wouldn't be the greatest writer in the world. DX

EDIT: Oh, and I agree about how that just sounds the way she talks.
It sounds almost like she's TRYING to be goofy.
Aellos
I like Tyra Banks...though I'd imagine she wouldn't be the greatest writer in the world. DX

EDIT: Oh, and I agree about how that just sounds the way she talks.
It sounds almost like she's TRYING to be goofy.

Tries, but utterly fails. All in all, Tyra managed to insult or misrepresent SEVEN groups of people in one book, though she meant offense to only one. She insulted actors, doctors, the homeless, the mentally ill, albinos, deformed people, and her own fictional civilization (which is made up of mutants) all in 550 pages.

I have many more complaints, but I recommend you read this. It's a liveblog of someone reading the book, and it neatly points out how hard it fails to achieve anything it tries to accomplish.

Still, I recommend reading it. It's so bad that you can't look away, and you wonder how this much wrong got past the editor. Then you remember who Tyra is, and you realize it probably saw so little editing. (AND THEN you read the WTF-laden acknowledgements, where it's revealed the original manuscript was 1,000 PAGES LONG.)
I read Elixer by Hilary Duff.
It was okay.
I decided 'why not try some other celebrity books? maybe I just have a bias'
So I started this one.
...da ********?
I refuse to believe that she spent five years on this book.
She can not possibly be this shitty.
I refuse to believe it.

IRL Citizen

12,750 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Bidding War 100
Tiokou of Fire
(AND THEN you read the WTF-laden acknowledgements, where it's revealed the original manuscript was 1,000 PAGES LONG.)
WHAT?!@!!? gonk gonk gonk
Sevi Rais
Tiokou of Fire
(AND THEN you read the WTF-laden acknowledgements, where it's revealed the original manuscript was 1,000 PAGES LONG.)

Yeah, I wish I was kidding about that. From the way it was written, you'd have thought this thing NEVER passed across an editor's desk at all. Wrong.

IRL Citizen

12,750 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Bidding War 100
Tiokou of Fire
Sevi Rais
Tiokou of Fire

Yeah, I wish I was kidding about that. From the way it was written, you'd have thought this thing NEVER passed across an editor's desk at all. Wrong.
It's because she's famous. I mean, you can sell any book if you're well known. Still, IS NOTHING SACRED?! scream

Off to read that review on the book. XDD
Aww, I kind of wanted to read that. The scenes from the book they acted out on Top Model looked so ridiculous.

IRL Citizen

12,750 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Bidding War 100
remigious
Aww, I kind of wanted to read that. The scenes from the book they acted out on Top Model looked so ridiculous.
I saw that on youtube and COULDN'T STOP LAUGHING. NO IDEA what they were doing! xd
Sevi Rais
remigious
I saw that on youtube and COULDN'T STOP LAUGHING. NO IDEA what they were doing! xd

Have you heard the theme song? Please note, this song is actually featured in the novel, and sounds better when not sung (though not much better...).

IRL Citizen

12,750 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Bidding War 100
Tiokou of Fire
Have you heard the theme song? Please note, this song is actually featured in the novel, and sounds better when not sung (though not much better...).
NO NO NO This cannot be REAL!!! xd xd xd

She seriously was trying to substitute models into Harry Potter.... But this doesn't even come close to it!!! O__________O

8,700 Points
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Conversationalist 100
What's sad is that even if these people could write well, no one would ever acknowledge it. Models are stupid and that's how it is, amiright?
Klaark
What's sad is that even if these people could write well, no one would ever acknowledge it. Models are stupid and that's how it is, amiright?

No, if it was Kate Moss, Heidi Klum or Jennifer Connolly, I'd have been less skeptical when the novel was announced. The fact would remain that none of them are writers by trade, hobby, or training. Fame can get you a book published, but it can't make you write well.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff