Welcome to Gaia! ::

Apocalyptic Visionary

I used to be like you and never wanted one because I love the feel of books. But I love my Kindle Fire! heart I still buy regular books but the Kindle is so much more convenient. I travel a lot so packing a lot of books is heavy. I can have tons of books on my Kindle and it doesn't weigh much. A friend of mine commutes to work on the train. She uses her Nook to pass the time.

Apart from additional apps on the devices so you don't just have a reader like the early versions were, there are other useful things. For Kindle Fire owners, there are many books you can get for free. There is also a lending library available if you are a Prime member on Amazon. My Kindle talks to my Android phone so when I'm sitting in the waiting room at the doctor's office and forgot to grab a book on my way out the door, I can pull out my phone and pick right up from my bookmark on the Kindle. And the biggest pull is a lot of the books are cheaper - sometimes significantly.

16,925 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
I love the feel of a book in my hand and browsing through bookstores and libraries, but I also love reading at night in my bed without the light on disturbing my significant other, and having TONS of books at hand. When I left home to travel to Taiwan to study, I had a painful time choosing which books to take with me :/ However, an e-reader fixes that problem. All my books, all the time! Still love paper, but also the convenience. They can work together paper and e-paper, and they do.

Revered Plague

35,450 Points
  • Abomination 100
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
Erailea

I fear we are heading back to the age of bookless-ness however. So many book stores are struggling to survive thanks to e-readers and places like Amazon that offer books super cheap and with free shipping if a certain amount of money is spent. How can small businesses compete with that?!

You're missing the most important factor. It's the decline of people who want to spend time and money to read books that's killing the publishing industry and small book stores. Even stores that sell used books for people who don't want to spend too much just to read aren't faring well (even if buying used books doesn't really help the authors and publishers too). Most people nowadays prefer the movie/tv series adaptations of the written material. The people I know who are like that think that it's easier to understand the story that way and it takes less time to watch a movie than read a book. The same mindset can be applied when buying books. That's why online stores are becoming popular. I guess they're too busy to have the time to go to book stores to browse.

It's only natural that when changes in technology happens, a part of the industry will be affected. Businesses will be affected and only those that are willing to innovate or upgrade their services will survive. Sadly, that's business. Saying that e-readers will phase out printed books is just like saying newspapers and magazines will disappear when the Internet became popular. Printed books will not disappear completely as long as there's still a market for them.

Valiant Jackling

Ping of Death
Erailea

I fear we are heading back to the age of bookless-ness however. So many book stores are struggling to survive thanks to e-readers and places like Amazon that offer books super cheap and with free shipping if a certain amount of money is spent. How can small businesses compete with that?!

You're missing the most important factor. It's the decline of people who want to spend time and money to read books that's killing the publishing industry and small book stores. Even stores that sell used books for people who don't want to spend too much just to read aren't faring well (even if buying used books doesn't really help the authors and publishers too). Most people nowadays prefer the movie/tv series adaptations of the written material. The people I know who are like that think that it's easier to understand the story that way and it takes less time to watch a movie than read a book. The same mindset can be applied when buying books. That's why online stores are becoming popular. I guess they're too busy to have the time to go to book stores to browse.

It's only natural that when changes in technology happens, a part of the industry will be affected. Businesses will be affected and only those that are willing to innovate or upgrade their services will survive. Sadly, that's business. Saying that e-readers will phase out printed books is just like saying newspapers and magazines will disappear when the Internet became popular. Printed books will not disappear completely as long as there's still a market for them.

People turn to the e-readers because they're easier to deal with, generally cheaper than a tangible book (can't tell you why, but a lot of people take issue to used books) and they take up far less space.

Not to mention, if you go to a used book store the chances of finding what you want are slim, unless you go there just to browse. It seems to me most people already have an idea of what they want when they go into bookstores these days because they've done their "research" online. At least that's what I've found in the bookstore I work in.

The space issue is a HUGE factor these days too, especially since there are alternatives to save room. Can't tell you how many times clients have turned down buying things they want simply because they have no room for it. Or come to us wanting to sell their books because they no longer have any room for them.

Invisible Vampire

10,750 Points
  • Team Edward 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
I don't want a nook or kindle either I would just go to the library instead.
I used to be dead set against ebooks as well. That was until I bought an iPad on an impulse buy, and found out that not only could I get certain books for free, I could borrow ebooks from my library as well. Plus, it's a lot more convenient for me because I don't have to carry two books in my bag everytime I go out. And now I get to save on space as well; I really have no more space for books.

In the end, I've come to realise that the medium no longer matters for me. It's the content that matters, and I can still get that same content from an ebook. And while I have to admit, it gets annoying reading on the iPad because of the eye strain and the weight, the benefits by far outweight the drawbacks.

Tasty Snack

My eyes are ******** up enough from spending too much time staring at bright computer screens. I'll take my chances with hard copies from the recycle shop that don't require batteries or distract me with apps.

I don't care if my house turns into a fire hazard. It's worth it if I can have a library like in Beauty and the Beast. emotion_dowant

Lonely Lunatic

12,425 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Pet Trainer 150
  • Fluff Rehab 200
Personally I think the only good thing about a Kindle/Nook is the free books they offer or finding a book the library doesn't have or you can't find on Amazon or the book store.

Obsessive Shopper

17,425 Points
  • Novice Egg Hunter 50
  • Determined Egg Hunter 150
  • Unstoppable Egg Hunter 250
It's always nice to have a book in your hands, but an e-reader gives me access to so many books that I couldn't get before... Not to mention the ones you can get for free!
When I want to read a book, I'll do it whichever way, and I used to read in my laptop, which was terrible for my eyes. With my reader is just like reading a real book.
I got it for Christmas a year ago and it was the best present I ever got in my whole life. heart

Savage Fairy

13,250 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Super Tipsy 200
It just seems a really cold and impersonal way of reading a book...

Savage Fairy

13,250 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Super Tipsy 200
Valkyrie Queen
My eyes are ******** up enough from spending too much time staring at bright computer screens. I'll take my chances with hard copies from the recycle shop that don't require batteries or distract me with apps.

I don't care if my house turns into a fire hazard. It's worth it if I can have a library like in Beauty and the Beast. emotion_dowant

Yesh! This is my dream!!! To have house that is pretty much one giant library, but to also have a library twisted
I used to have a kindle and read a few books on it but wasn't really my thing. Plus somehow the screen got messed up. So I definitely prefer an actual book.
I don't want a Nook/Kindle. I love buying the actually books. I love to just collect them and put them on my shelf. Also it's awesome to just be able to go to your shelf, run your fingers over the selection of books, then stopping on the book you want. Lolz then take it to your favorite reading stop and enjoy ^.^

Tricky Shapeshifter

12,200 Points
  • Junior Trader 100
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100
  • Alchemy Level 3 100
I like physical books, but I also like finding new and exciting authors and reading their new hip books. My ipad mini is great since I could buy a book from Kobo or amazon and stream it onto my iPad device.

I am thinking of looking into my library's book streaming service, though.

Divine Anubutt

27,850 Points
  • Skilled Snowfriend Architect 100
  • Daring Investigator 50
  • WilyTrickster 50
I honestly prefer the book to a kindle >.>
I'd be very sad if the ebook drove barnes&noble out of buisness D:

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash