Welcome to Gaia! ::

Cat

I feel like they serve their purpose, though.
As we live in an age that relies heavily on electronics, people who would not normally pick up a book are more likely to.
Having worked in a bookstore that sells a brand of electronic readers, I've seen this a lot.

Plus they're more portable, so better for travel.

With that being said, I would never purchase one myself.
I love the smell of new books, and the feeling I get when I place them each individually in my bookcase.
I can't imagine giving that up for a little device that holds them all in one place.

10,100 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Love Machine 150
I honestly never liked the idea when they were first being made. I loved having the actual book in hand, and the idea of searching for a specific book in a bookstore/library, to me that was the best part, hunting for a specific book then that feeling of victory once the book was found.,

I take after my grandfather in the aspect of I love reading and love having books with me. At any given time, he has like 3 or 4 books in his car. He never wanted a kindle/nook/e-reader, but now he has one specifically for when my grandparents go traveling so that way my grandpa isn't taking like a suitcase of books, only the kindle which holds just as much books.

That being said, I wouldn't mind getting one for textbooks since they're so much cheaper, but on the other hand, I would rather the actual book so I have the ability to highlight/mark my book as I want.

So would I ever go out of my way to get a nook/kindle, no. If you asked me like back in middle school if I wanted one, I would've laughed and said hell no. If you asked me today, my answer would still be no, but I wouldn't protest if I were to get one.
Ebooks can allow you to carry entire libraries at once, sync over the air, change fonts or font sizes, and preserve your purchases should anything disastrous happen to your home.

I cannot understand turning all of that convenience down, all the time, for the sake of novelties like feels and smells that the author didn't even create. Those things have nothing to do with the content of the book.

If anything, ebooks are a purer presentation of the author's words, unbound by publisher-chosen typeface or cover art, and never diminished by age and wear.

Heart Hunter

9,650 Points
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Divorced 100
  • Full closet 200
Karutan Koremanu
I mean, I get that they're nice to have, but I love having the heft and weight of a book in my hands. Plus the smell of the pages and the ink... *happy sigh* Add on to that I have LOADS of books and no desire to repurchase them all... Why don't they do for books what they do for DVDs? Buy the physical copy, get a code for the digital copy.

More people would buy eReaders if they did that.
Oh my God, yes! I've been saying this forever, but everyone just looks at me like I'm crazy, like they just can't comprehend how good it feels to actually hold a book in your hand or smell that fresh-ink smell of a brand new book that you've just opened. Without all of that the reading experience would only be half as fulfilling, if that. When the Nook first came out my Dad said, "I can't believe you don't want one of those.", as I'm a huge book nerd, so I tried to explain to him how holding some tablet in your hands couldn't possibly hope to compare to turning the pages in a real book, but I don't think he reallt gets it. Books are magical. How does one explain magic? They take you to other places, even whole other worlds, and having that book in your hand is just apart of that. *laughs* Sometimes I feel like the oldest teenager in the world, because as weird as this may sound, I've fantasized about owning my own book shop after I retire. And I haven't even started college yet! I just hope when that day comes that there will still be people who appreciate books, that they haven't been completely replaced by technology.

Partying Genius

Personally I've never enjoyed the use of electronics to read my books. I don't own a nook, but trying to read on my itouch is the same ideal. I'm not as concerned with the feel or smell of the book, although I do enjoy such things, however I find you get headaches from reading with the device similar to being on the computer for a long time. I believe it's called Computer Vision Syndrome. Has anyone else ever experienced this too?

I also dislike how everyone thinks they "need" all these books with them and carrying a "real live" version is such a hassle. Are you honestly going to read more than one book on your vacation? Does that book really add any weight to your luggage in reality? No.

Personally I'm the type of girl that carries a big purse and I can comfortably keep all I need in there and still fit a book inside there just in case I'm early to an appointment or one of my professors is late.

I understand how stream-line and convenient it's supposed to be, but in my mind it is just another way to dupe consumers and send them rushing to the store.

As one last quip I dislike how it takes away from the experience of book hunting. We can google a book, review it and press "buy" and it's on our computer. There's no feeling of the hunt for a good book, or wasting time in the library to escape chores at home. No meeting new friends at book clubs or laughing when you and a stranger reach for the same book at the same time.

Also, sorry for such a long post haha, as nerdy as it is, I love the ideal of holding a book and knowing that previous family members curled up with it and enjoyed it as I am currently doing or finding a book someone gave me in childhood and there is a sweet message with a date on the inside of the cover.

You just don't "experience" a book the same way on a nook like you do in "person."

Lavish Dreamer

26,000 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Vicious Spirit 250
  • Cool Cat 500
I didn't really want one but my mom got me a Nook for Christmas a couple years ago. But her, my sister, and a couple of my aunts have Kindles so I can't even "lend" books with any of them. I mostly use my Nook to play sudoku and get printed books. Rarely hear of someone getting their paperbacks stolen, but my sister thought her Kindle had been stolen (got it back a week later because a janitor found it in a bathroom.)

Shy Explorer

8,300 Points
  • Team Edward 100
  • Professional Snowfriend Architect 250
  • Grunnyland Dabbler 50
I never showed an interest in either the Kindle or Nook. And ever since my beloved Borders went out of business if I am going to purchase anything for reading I made it a personal mission to ALWAYS check a local bargain bookstore first. [ Since I despise Barnes and Noble.. ]

However, My mom bought her Kindle a few years ago and she loved it. It's perfect for her because she can go through books in a day no matter how long they are. [ she got through the whole Hunger Games series in three days ] So for her it was perfect. She also is older and doesn't like to deal with crowds and what not at stores anymore. She likes the convenience.

But for me I'm like that girl in the commercial for the Kindle. 'I like to bend the pages' stuff like that. I just simply prefer having a book in my hand. I also prefer to go to a bookstore and browse and read the back of a book or the first page and determine the purchase. I like going to the local bookstore and bum around for hours just looking. My mom did purchase me a Kindle Fire for Christmas two years ago. I don't use it but I have purchased some books on it. I can't say I'm a huge fan but it does have some features I like. I like that you can get unpublished books and check them out. It's interesting to read a story from an unknown author and sometimes they are quite good. I also can't use my kindle at work since the kindle fire looks like a tablet my boss doesn't like it. So If I want to do any reading at work I have to have an actual book. Which I still prefer over reading on the kindle.
I have no interest whatsoever in e-books or audio books. Nothing beats actually holding a book in your hands and turning the pages. : )

Friendly Bibliophile

8,025 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Friendly 100
  • Tycoon 200
I mostly want one because of all the "mini stories" authors have been coming out with that are a special bonus after you read a book. A sort of side-story. Every time I read a good book these days, I see the title of a shorter story about one of the side characters. Or a "insert book title here .2". And it 's only on an ebook. burning_eyes Darn it people! Quit tempting us with your gimmicks! And it's working! I want to get a an ebook!
I heart my nook. Yes, it's nice to have physical books. Yes, I like the smell and feel of a book and to actually turn the pages. Yes, it's inconvenient on planes when I have to stop reading because electronic devices aren't allowed during take off and landing.

But I live in a foreign country, and it's just too much trouble and extra expense moving books back and forth across an ocean. My first four years abroad I had to seriously limit how much I read, because print books are just a hassle in my situation. Since I bought my nook, that's all changed; I've been able to read dozens of books.

Someone earlier in the thread blamed ereader users for being lazy and not willing to go to a library or bookstore. Well, thanks to my nook I can borrow books from my local library while I'm on the other side of the world! Sorry, I'm too lazy to fly 14 hours each way just to borrow a book for three weeks.

Chatty Cat

12,000 Points
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Team Edward 100
Karutan Koremanu
I mean, I get that they're nice to have, but I love having the heft and weight of a book in my hands. Plus the smell of the pages and the ink... *happy sigh* Add on to that I have LOADS of books and no desire to repurchase them all... Why don't they do for books what they do for DVDs? Buy the physical copy, get a code for the digital copy.

More people would buy eReaders if they did that.

I had the same aversion as you did. I had 300 paper copies. And then I had to move and had to down size and couldnt carry the weight of all my books. gonk So I got myself a kindle. (partially because I read more than I breath and eat and needed to read).

With my kindle, I discovered most of the books that I owned I could get for free (the classics) which made up about 1/3 of my collection. I got my own apt again and went from 300 books, down to 150 and kept my favs and my ultimate re reads. I went from 5 bookshelfs to 3.

I like having my kindle on my person because I have over 200 books at the push of a button. I got a case for it, so I wouldnt lose the feel of having a book cover. That and I love Amazon and the discounts are insane. D: I can borrow books using Prime, and I have no intention of getting rid of the books I kept, which I just blew through my Eddings just last week.

I still visit the library and I still borrow books from my friends and still buy paper books. smile
I have no desire to get any e-reader devices. It will always be physical books for me.

6,450 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Conventioneer 300
I really didn't want a kindle, but my mom got me one so I sucked it up and used it haha, since it was a nice gesture. I mostly just use it to check ebooks out of the library, however, and continue purchasing print copies.

Conservative Gawker

5,750 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Forum Dabbler 200
There are only 2 things I must concede about e-readers: 1. they're great for reading in the dark. No need to ghetto rig a book light for your midnight literary binges. 2. They save space so your books don't fall on you every time you try to access them. But other than that, I love new book smell. I love being able to hold a book in my hands, flip back and laugh at funny passages fondly, or pass on a beloved title to another. It's even better when you find a great book at a thrift store for $1. That's not gonna happen on an e-reader. Books all the way! And lastly, authors can't sign e-books. An electronic signature is so impersonal.
i bought myself and my sister kindle keyboards and i really enjoy mine. i think im reading a lot faster becaue of the clarity and it's really comfortable to use. plus books are a lot cheaper.
i love collecting books but i already have a ton to keep in my case and anything i really appreciate i will buy the actual copy of.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff