Welcome to Gaia! ::

Lavish Consumer

11,000 Points
  • Party Member 100
  • Consumer 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
Highlighting and notes in the margins can mean a very much loved book. It helps me savor the meaning, and adds to my reading experience. I'm looking for some special highlighters now. I don't dog ear the pages though.

Do you mark your books and does it help you remember the good parts, and what about if you find a word you don't know. Do you look it up?

Seasonal Saint

31,200 Points
  • Amateur Snowfriend Architect 50
  • Tree's the Season 100
  • Generous 100
I used bookmarks, when I still had books....sadly I'm having to sell all my possessions to just be able to afford my medications. cry

Hilarious Lover

6,850 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Guildmember 100
if I know that the book is my personal copy that I will not be letting anybody else read then heck yes I highlight underline, post it note. On a funnier note though, my great grandma writes "Bonnie read" on the inside of her books after she reads them to make sure she doesn't reread them. lol

Friendly Cat

I don't dare mark a book I love. I'm careful not to make any sort of wear, such as a wrinkle in the spine, if I love it. <3 I have a book that I'm going to give away, since it's dark and people are saying it is a bad influence on my depression, but I feel like I need to tell the new owner to treat it like gold too. sweatdrop It really should be up to her but oh, it's like... it's like a gem that's cut perfectly, and I don't want any dents to show up in it and ruin its splendid shape. heart

Questionable Prophet

I did it once with The Scarlet Letter and when I was done with the book and I scanned through it I was filled with horror.

So, post it notes are where it's at.

Lavish Consumer

11,000 Points
  • Party Member 100
  • Consumer 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
Sleepy Otaku
I don't dare mark a book I love. I'm careful not to make any sort of wear, such as a wrinkle in the spine, if I love it. <3 I have a book that I'm going to give away, since it's dark and people are saying it is a bad influence on my depression, but I feel like I need to tell the new owner to treat it like gold too. sweatdrop It really should be up to her but oh, it's like... it's like a gem that's cut perfectly, and I don't want any dents to show up in it and ruin its splendid shape. heart

My books are my babies too! I still like to make notes to personalize them.

Dapper Gekko

I don't mark my books - if I find I quote I like, I write it down in a separate place. When I was a student I finally caved and began highlighting useful phrases in books I bought for my classes, though. At first it was extremely difficult to break a lifetime's worth of conditioning, but it did make things much easier (and it wasn't like I was going to be able to sell the books afterwards for more than a buck anyway rofl )

Fashionable Shopper

5,950 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • First step to fame 200
i mark my books because there mine and sometimes somethings are intersting such as quotes
I urinate on them so other people know they are my territory.

Lavish Consumer

11,000 Points
  • Party Member 100
  • Consumer 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
Senator Armstrong
I urinate on them so other people know they are my territory.

That's terrible, are you serious?

Questionable Inquisitor

I hate writing in books. Most of the time I buy used books and I cringe at every scribble. However, if it is a book I bought for school that I don't plan on lending or selling, I will write and highlight as needed. I probably will never touch it after the class anyway.

Nuclear Werewolf

Sometimes I'll write my name on the inside cover of a book if I'm going to be bringing it places where it might be lent out or stumbled across. I try to leave my books in a generally un-marked condition otherwise, though.

That said, it's interesting to find a secondhand copy of something that someone else has written in or underlined. I especially love finding names or dedications, particularly in antique books. Lots of history in every library stamp and ink signature.

Shy Dragon

24,065 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100
oh god no! my books are like shrines, i would never defile them with pens or highlighters. the only thing i will do to them is use weird things for bookmarks. like plastic knives form my work, or random papers. i oddly enough have a good enough memory to know what i've already read and what i havent. they are all my babies. except eona...hated that book. i read it after my favorite series though so im going to try to reread it again to see if its better than i originally thought. sorry off topic. no i dont mark my books. it was driven into me from a very young age that you dont mark in books. no matter what.

Lavish Consumer

11,000 Points
  • Party Member 100
  • Consumer 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
Alberic of Krufton
Sometimes I'll write my name on the inside cover of a book if I'm going to be bringing it places where it might be lent out or stumbled across. I try to leave my books in a generally un-marked condition otherwise, though.

That said, it's interesting to find a secondhand copy of something that someone else has written in or underlined. I especially love finding names or dedications, particularly in antique books. Lots of history in every library stamp and ink signature.

I have book plates that you stamp in the inside cover in ink and then right your name in pen in the blank.

Inquisitor

19,975 Points
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
      i do! especially when it's a book i'm reading for my lit course. my copy of the handmaid's tale is annotated and marked and highlighted all over. i love it.

all my favourite books are damaged- spine cracked and all that. it's a sign they've been loved and read over and over.
      my copy of inkheart in particular is dented and bashed because when i was younger it would go everywhere with me.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff