Welcome to Gaia! ::

Lonely Hunter

7,150 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Profitable 100
obviously twilight is the worse thing ever and is death to literature blah blah blah yada yada yada. but a thought occurred to me the other day. obviously what makes the books so bad is that nearly every body in it is incredibly stupid and mean and selfish, and the writer is completely oblivious to this and its not a love story so much as a horrible story about addiction and abuse which again, the writer is oblivious too.

But here's my thought. what if at the end of the book, edward just ate bella like he constantly says he wants to do. what if bella meets a gruesome end, what if the writer had a clue and instead of viewing this as a love story saw it as a metaphorical corsionary tale. would that then absolve the awful purple prose if it was intended to be that way. and do you think it could potentially turn it into a decent book?

O.G. Gaian

... Doesn't she meet a gruesome end? I think someone actually told me how it ends awhile back, but I admit, my attention wandered.

Anyway. What turned me immediately off about it was the melodramatic tone -- purple prose, it's called. Which, as a literary device, can occasionally work. It can even be done well. Granted, it was written for a teen audience (what that says or doesn't say about the author's maturity level is its own can of worms, IMO), and the majority of teens... I'll say that intensely emotional interactions are well within the average teenager's realm of experience. Most haven't learned yet that emotional drama and moody outbursts aren't the same thing as depth of character. *shrug*

Yeah, I shouldn't judge a book by its first couple paragraphs. And I don't. Not solely, at least. A glance at the rabidly devoted fans pretty much tells the whole story -- and even that's probably a better love story than... yeah.

Lonely Hunter

7,150 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Profitable 100
faolan

... Doesn't she meet a gruesome end? I think someone actually told me how it ends awhile back, but I admit, my attention wandered.

Anyway. What turned me immediately off about it was the melodramatic tone -- purple prose, it's called. Which, as a literary device, can occasionally work. It can even be done well. Granted, it was written for a teen audience (what that says or doesn't say about the author's maturity level is its own can of worms, IMO), and the majority of teens... I'll say that intensely emotional interactions are well within the average teenager's realm of experience. Most haven't learned yet that emotional drama and moody outbursts aren't the same thing as depth of character. *shrug*

Yeah, I shouldn't judge a book by its first couple paragraphs. And I don't. Not solely, at least. A glance at the rabidly devoted fans pretty much tells the whole story -- and even that's probably a better love story than... yeah.

nah, she just becomes a vampire which has no downsides whatsoever. in fact I'd say they're more like immortal x-men than vampires.

but what I'm asking is that the overuse of purple prose, its done badly because it makes us hate the character, but what if we were suppose to hate her. for example.

their is one part in the book where bella says that she's not verbose. now in real life nobody says verbose, hell people don't even think of the word verbose unless they're reading a thesaurus. the ironic thing is, only a very verbose person would use the word verbose.

so seeing the character say that she's not verbose, is really annoying. obviously this is the fault of the writer because she wanted us to like the character, but if she didn't want us to like the character. well if someone described themselves as not particular verbose in real life, I'd role my eyes at them and probably dislike them. its an example like that which makes me wonder, what if we were suppose to hate the character. would essentially the same bit of writing, the same sentence suddenly become a good one?

Original Gaian

8,300 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Forum Regular 100
It would have been amazing if he just ******** ate her.

Cute Garbage

19,500 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
Snowytigress
It would have been amazing if he just ******** ate her.

Would have been great if he did it 50 pages into the first book. Kill the whole saga. YESPLEASE.

Unstoppable Lunatic

16,975 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Rally Tyro 100
I like twilight.It made a good bonfire.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers