Welcome to Gaia! ::

Familiar Raider

6,800 Points
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Tipsy 100
I'm confused. I look more native american than anything, but people see me as black.
how the hell does this work??

Familiar Raider

6,800 Points
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Tipsy 100
like, if i ask anyone what i am, the say, "oh, you're black."
I'm like, "No, i'm Native American mixed with Black..."
"Yea, you're black."
"b***h, don't be racist."
just an fyi, everybody and their grandmother claim to be part Native American in the US even though the blatantly look just black or white

Girl-Crazy Marshmallow

We live in fundamentally racist society that still operates on the "one drop" principle, even if that is never vocalized or acknowledged, pretty much.

It sucks, largely because it's so ingrained that anyone called out will probably refuse to see it, act like you are crazy and/or have just called them actively evil, not called them out on the conversational equivalent of having something in your teeth.

Aged Shapeshifter

10,750 Points
  • Grunny Rainbow 100
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Elocutionist 200
Corporal Brown
I'm confused. I look more native american than anything, but people see me as black.

when filling out forms where it asks you your race... which box do you check?

Familiar Raider

6,800 Points
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Tipsy 100
stormylane
Corporal Brown

when filling out forms where it asks you your race... which box do you check?

Usually native american or white

Dangerous Visionary

Corporal Brown

Its because you are 100% amazing and their brains can't handle that. wink Happy Black history month and don't sweat the small stuff.

Beloved Knight

6,550 Points
  • Angelic Alliance 100
  • Battle: Knight 100
  • Tenacious Spirit 250
-------------Tutorial BEGIN---------------

When asked what your color is they mean the more current one.. like your shade.. On an ID card they have a color.. use that as a guideline. And whatever you father was..defines you ask him also. If you dont have one.. well.. er.. sweatdrop ask someone else.

Otherwise you will be chacking every box on the darn paper.. or you can use the percentage system..

50% Black
25% Irish
25% Latino

Black by Default.. But by origin you will be many things. emotion_eyebrow

------------------Tutorial OVER-----------------

Celestial Dreamer

61,850 Points
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Angelic Alliance 100
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
X sansmerci
We live in fundamentally racist society that still operates on the "one drop" principle, even if that is never vocalized or acknowledged, pretty much.

It sucks, largely because it's so ingrained that anyone called out will probably refuse to see it, act like you are crazy and/or have just called them actively evil, not called them out on the conversational equivalent of having something in your teeth.

Very much this. If you look at all dark, people will tend to call you black. If you look white but they find out your grandmother or some such was black, even if you're only like 8% black, they will call you black. As ridiculous as it is, that's generally how it goes. They should move to a percentage system or else a system that allows your "race" to be multiple things at once like it actually is.
But that's too messy and inconvenient.

Familiar Raider

6,800 Points
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Tipsy 100
Yuekazehime
X sansmerci

Very much this. If you look at all dark, people will tend to call you black. If you look white but they find out your grandmother or some such was black, even if you're only like 8% black, they will call you black. As ridiculous as it is, that's generally how it goes. They should move to a percentage system or else a system that allows your "race" to be multiple things at once like it actually is.
But that's too messy and inconvenient.

I'm sorta a mocha frappe color......
50% Native American
50% Black

Wheezing Raider

6,700 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Brandisher 100
People can't tell their feet from their hands sometimes. It's gotta be hard for you, though. And yeah, it's true. Everyone's secretly part Cherokee! lol. I'm a white mutt with some native American mixed in, and i may or may not have some Jamaican. I look very white/aisian? I identify as native or mixed cause of how Ive been cultured though. Ask any white person what they are, and they'll give you a damn blood quantum equation. Why don't people ever think of blacks as being a fraction, too though? That's what I'd like to know... I usually don't try and figure out people's specific ethnicity, but I know if i looked around, i'd be able to point out an african/jamaican mixed person from a crowd.. It's not like everyone with dark skin looks alike or anything... but some people would argue that they do. I've always thought this since I was a kid: a lot of white people don't really take a good look at black people. They don't examine their face... they don't look at their hair really close.. they don't pay attention to their features. I don't know why that is, but I'm pretty sure of it, and it has a huge impact on how we (people in general) communicate with one-another.. White people don't wanna look black people in the eye.. I don't know whether it's shame, or its fear, or condescension, or what. I point that out to white people, and they stare off into the distance and think, sometimes. No one's ever really said it was false..

Familiar Raider

6,800 Points
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Tipsy 100
Gegaish
People can't tell their feet from their hands sometimes. It's gotta be hard for you, though. And yeah, it's true. Everyone's secretly part Cherokee! lol. I'm a white mutt with some native American mixed in, and i may or may not have some Jamaican. I look very white/aisian? I identify as native or mixed cause of how Ive been cultured though. Ask any white person what they are, and they'll give you a damn blood quantum equation. Why don't people ever think of blacks as being a fraction, too though? That's what I'd like to know... I usually don't try and figure out people's specific ethnicity, but I know if i looked around, i'd be able to point out an african/jamaican mixed person from a crowd.. It's not like everyone with dark skin looks alike or anything... but some people would argue that they do. I've always thought this since I was a kid: a lot of white people don't really take a good look at black people. They don't examine their face... they don't look at their hair really close.. they don't pay attention to their features. I don't know why that is, but I'm pretty sure of it, and it has a huge impact on how we (people in general) communicate with one-another.. White people don't wanna look black people in the eye.. I don't know whether it's shame, or its fear, or condescension, or what. I point that out to white people, and they stare off into the distance and think, sometimes. No one's ever really said it was false..

Exactly!! I'm two basic things. But truly, I'm American!! Same as anyone else!! So why can't I be identified as such?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff