Welcome to Gaia! ::

I'll bite. The following really sucks, but ah well.

Quote:
In the twenty-ninth day of the eighth month of the year, a mighty tempest swept from the seas into the borders of the principality called Antheia.

It was a rare occurrence, the arrival of the Wind -- anamos, it had been christened, the fabled storm of ancient legend -- in the wake of which would come an exceptionally hostile winter, whose bitter clutch would wreak havoc on barren ground. Only once had it been recorded in recent history, and that was more than two hundred years ago; now, as myth suddenly came to devastating life, the land's embattled people were left to batten shut their doors and brace for impending calamity.

Alaerios the Forgotten saw it as he sat by the hearth of a man sympathetic to the Cause, poring over a stack of papers marked with arcane symbols. Well, not actually paper -- the pages were made of vellum, depilated skin painted over with various pigments and dyes to preserve the memories of a bygone age. They were his most treasured possession, given to him by the priests of Eirin before he had made his flight from the capital; they had found by the Akyrtheia some hundred years ago, he'd been told, and within its pages were held the secrets of a civilization older than even the Empire itself. It was a gift he would protect with his life.

This was the Council's third foray over the Tears in a year's time -- and the last, for Erian would allow no more. It was only the Sages' collective insistence that convinced him to make this exception: They needed more information to plan out their next move, Rohilin had said, and the Watchers were bound to have garnered something in the months in between visits. And so the Tall One had agreed, and now they were here: A few miles away from the edge of the Waste, where Sih and his wife -- a fellow Tourki -- lived out their lives in a breathtakingly elaborate lie.

The others were in another room, doubtlessly getting on famously -- All of them except Lysse, he thought, a wry smile dancing on his expression. She'd likely slice Sih's head off if he even dares throw a glance in her direction. But he himself had long ago sworn off Antheia's rustic brews, potent and much too potable for one of his age, so here he was: Racking his brain for answers in the gloom of night.

It was the rattling of the door that told him the anamos had come, and a curious shiver of anticipation that fluttered across his mind before vanishing into the dusk. Placing his papers a safe distance away from the fire, he drew himself up from his chair to hobble over to the entrance -- Eirin scourge the man who took my cane; an ear was planted firmly against its wood to listen to the howling winds whose fury shook the house from rafter to rafter. The Sage allowed himself a small smile.

"It's coming," he murmured, sending a grateful prayer up to whoever in the Pantheon might be listening. "The Maj be thanked, it's coming..."

Tulak Radi'n saw it as he took a draw from his pipe, skilled lips pursed to blow oval smoke-rings into the air. He was garbed in the raiment of the Empire -- for Radi'n was a soldier sworn to the Primes, ordered to this forsaken place with his unit to enforce a semblance of order -- and had been only a few moments ago relieved from watch by one of his more keen-eyed comrades; now, having been given a light by his considerate fellow, he was heading back to the tavern, which had been commandeered just yesterday to serve as a staging ground in the search for elusive Erian of blasted Antheia.

"Damn this wind," he grumbled, as the flame at the end of his pipe sputtered and went out entirely. "Can't a man get himself a smoke for even a second in this place?" And raising his eyes to the skies to lend credence to an elaborate oath, he was justly surprised by the barbed arrow that grew from the back of his neck to poke out of his throat. What would have been the curse to end all curses instead turned into an inarticulate gurgle, his attempt at speech succeeding only in sending a fountain of blood spurting forth from his mouth.

And as he fell to his knees, two white-cloaked figures stepped out of the gathering blizzard, their features masked by strips of cloth tied tightly over their skin. One carried a well-crafted bow, its string still quivering from the force of his draw -- a truly impressive archer, Radi'n couldn't help but note, to fire an arrow with that sort of precision in these kinds of conditions; the other bore a drawn sword, its metal blade dulled by a craftsman's hand to minimize its reflection in the sun. The former smashed the tip of the bow into the soldier's head, sending him careening face-first to the ground.

"There. Make it quick." The words were quick and spoken with just a trace of an accent, one that Radi'n immediately recognized as belonging to an Antheian native -- and a woman! -- but his surprise was stilled as he heard the telltale sound of metal scraping against grindstone. His fingers loosened their grip on his pipe, which tumbled limply into the snow -- not like this not like this not like this --

"Patience, Wyn," said a man's voice, coming dangerously close to his ear. The soldier's eyes frantically strove to make out the speaker, but managed to catch only fleeting glimpses of thick white fabric. Seconds later, the pale skin of his back was exposed to the cold as a knife cut through his leather armor and the two layers of clothing he was wearing underneath.

"His friends may come anytime," rejoined the first -- "Hurry and make your mark, before they discover this filth's fate."

"They will not come." Her companion was brutally calm. "The tavern-keeper is our man. He will doubtlessly keep the Imperials occupied -- for that is his duty, just as we have ours. Now turn away; shoot anyone who draws near. You will not want to watch." And even as the archer's faint footsteps faded away into the distance, unspeakable pain shot through the soldier's nerves, the knife ripping through his skin to trace with its tip elaborate lines on his flesh.

His screams came as a feeble whisper. Snowflakes melted as they touched the steaming blood spilling ever so slowly from his wounds.

He would die slowly, but he would die, and when his comrades found him the markings on his back would tell them all they needed to know: The Keepers had come, and with them taken yet another from their ranks.

Radi'n felt the wind cutting into his newly-opened wounds as his spirit drifted away into the night.

Prince Deilus of Antheia saw it as he lounged in his lavish study, his oiled fingers picking hungrily at a succulent roast his servants had brought from the kitchens. "Lucky they put the windows in when they did," he rumbled, smooth bass punctuated by occasional rattles of cleariron -- the Empire's newest and most sought-after luxury, providing an unhindered view of the outside while shielding it from the elements. "I wouldn't want to have to sleep underground again like I did the last time a blizzard came through." Yellowing teeth clawed viciously at a particularly stubborn bit of meat.

"You eat too quickly, my liege." The disapproval of Arklat ges'Heit was voiced (as usual) in his mincing tenor, which the Prince had come to recognize as a dog would his master. "More of that, and you might ... choke. And that eventuality would certainly be a pity, wouldn't it?"

A fat hand dropped his half-eaten meal onto his bronzed plate. "How often have I told you not to sneak up on me like that?" Annoyance found its way into Deilus' words as he turned to face the Imperial ambassador. "It's unnerving."

"My apologies, sire." Even now, so far away from the eyes of the Court, the diplomat was obsequious as ever. Deilus was starting to think it had been born into his blood. "But I would remind you that you were the one who sent for me."

"Ah. Of course." Damn, why couldn't I have waited until after supper? "A letter came by post today. Apparently it's from the Primes themselves, their names be blessed by the gods -- I put it on my desk, next to my quills. You might be interested in its contents."

The ambassador's eyes drifted over to the table. "You opened it?"

"But certainly. I would remind you that it was addressed to me and not you -- though -- " The Prince sighed, eyeing his platter. He'd have to get another from the kitchens; the meat must be lukewarm by now, and he hated lukewarm meat. "Though I wish that it had been. Apparently the Empire is displeased with our lack of progress in catching the ... outcast."

Arklat had already snatched up the letter; his brows furrowed in anger as with deliberate precision he ripped it from end to end. "Fools," he spat: "Do they think we can simply snap our fingers and bring him to justice? He knows the wilderness better than all of our troops combined, that self-proclaimed princeling -- we've been on his heels for nineteen years and still haven't found a trace of him!"

"That," noted the Prince, "would be the lack of progress the letter refers to." He smacked his lips in appreciation, taking a sip from a goblet of wine. "And eager as we are to bring him to justice, it'll have to wait. Trained as our hunters may be, they're simply unequipped to operate in a storm of this intensity."

The ambassador turned slowly on one heel, its thick edge screeching loudly against the keep's polished stone floor. "You know, sire," Arklat began, and honey dripped from every word: "I'm starting to think you're not all that keen on finding this Scion." The flickering candles in the study cast a menacing shadow over his hollow face.

"You doubt my intentions? Then replace me and have someone else installed as Prince. But ware! for if you do, the Primes will without a doubt have you declared a failure as well." Deilus smiled broadly, leaning back against his brocaded divan. "We are ill-starred men, you and I, the b*****d children of unlucky days -- Oh, don't sulk like that, Arklat. Have some roast? It's good, if a little cold."

The gale sped over Vaie's Crown, covering the promontory that marked the end of the world in a blanket of powdery snow; over Raine's Tears, slowing and then stopping it altogether as it turned water to ice; over the Fthoran Waste, dimming evanescent lightbushes and plunging the wilderness into darkness. It barreled across plains and highlands and the leveled remains of primordial forests, over hills and ridges and the proud heights of solitary mountains, through hamlets and farms and the cramped streets of occupied Areyti -- and those that witnessed its passing were chilled to the bone.

The wheels of fate had been set into motion at last.
Dammit.

There's supposed to be some semblance of formatting in that monster I posted, but I didn't bother putting in the tags and I'm too lazy to edit it. Assume that thoughts are in italics.
Take care of that one aluethyn im lazy.
hurry up Alue he doesnt want to wait forever.
Hah. That makes two.
Man the guy who started this thread must be a slow reader, eh lyght?
Lyght
I'll bite. The following really sucks, but ah well.

Quote:
In the twenty-ninth day of the eighth month of the year, a mighty tempest swept from the seas into the borders of the principality called Antheia.

It was a rare occurrence, the arrival of the Wind -- anamos, it had been christened, the fabled storm of ancient legend -- in the wake of which would come an exceptionally hostile winter, whose bitter clutch would wreak havoc on barren ground. Only once had it been recorded in recent history, and that was more than two hundred years ago; now, as myth suddenly came to devastating life, the land's embattled people were left to batten shut their doors and brace for impending calamity.

Alaerios the Forgotten saw it as he sat by the hearth of a man sympathetic to the Cause, poring over a stack of papers marked with arcane symbols. Well, not actually paper -- the pages were made of vellum, depilated skin painted over with various pigments and dyes to preserve the memories of a bygone age. They were his most treasured possession, given to him by the priests of Eirin before he had made his flight from the capital; they had found by the Akyrtheia some hundred years ago, he'd been told, and within its pages were held the secrets of a civilization older than even the Empire itself. It was a gift he would protect with his life.

This was the Council's third foray over the Tears in a year's time -- and the last, for Erian would allow no more. It was only the Sages' collective insistence that convinced him to make this exception: They needed more information to plan out their next move, Rohilin had said, and the Watchers were bound to have garnered something in the months in between visits. And so the Tall One had agreed, and now they were here: A few miles away from the edge of the Waste, where Sih and his wife -- a fellow Tourki -- lived out their lives in a breathtakingly elaborate lie.

The others were in another room, doubtlessly getting on famously -- All of them except Lysse, he thought, a wry smile dancing on his expression. She'd likely slice Sih's head off if he even dares throw a glance in her direction. But he himself had long ago sworn off Antheia's rustic brews, potent and much too potable for one of his age, so here he was: Racking his brain for answers in the gloom of night.

It was the rattling of the door that told him the anamos had come, and a curious shiver of anticipation that fluttered across his mind before vanishing into the dusk. Placing his papers a safe distance away from the fire, he drew himself up from his chair to hobble over to the entrance -- Eirin scourge the man who took my cane; an ear was planted firmly against its wood to listen to the howling winds whose fury shook the house from rafter to rafter. The Sage allowed himself a small smile.

"It's coming," he murmured, sending a grateful prayer up to whoever in the Pantheon might be listening. "The Maj be thanked, it's coming..."

Tulak Radi'n saw it as he took a draw from his pipe, skilled lips pursed to blow oval smoke-rings into the air. He was garbed in the raiment of the Empire -- for Radi'n was a soldier sworn to the Primes, ordered to this forsaken place with his unit to enforce a semblance of order -- and had been only a few moments ago relieved from watch by one of his more keen-eyed comrades; now, having been given a light by his considerate fellow, he was heading back to the tavern, which had been commandeered just yesterday to serve as a staging ground in the search for elusive Erian of blasted Antheia.

"Damn this wind," he grumbled, as the flame at the end of his pipe sputtered and went out entirely. "Can't a man get himself a smoke for even a second in this place?" And raising his eyes to the skies to lend credence to an elaborate oath, he was justly surprised by the barbed arrow that grew from the back of his neck to poke out of his throat. What would have been the curse to end all curses instead turned into an inarticulate gurgle, his attempt at speech succeeding only in sending a fountain of blood spurting forth from his mouth.

And as he fell to his knees, two white-cloaked figures stepped out of the gathering blizzard, their features masked by strips of cloth tied tightly over their skin. One carried a well-crafted bow, its string still quivering from the force of his draw -- a truly impressive archer, Radi'n couldn't help but note, to fire an arrow with that sort of precision in these kinds of conditions; the other bore a drawn sword, its metal blade dulled by a craftsman's hand to minimize its reflection in the sun. The former smashed the tip of the bow into the soldier's head, sending him careening face-first to the ground.

"There. Make it quick." The words were quick and spoken with just a trace of an accent, one that Radi'n immediately recognized as belonging to an Antheian native -- and a woman! -- but his surprise was stilled as he heard the telltale sound of metal scraping against grindstone. His fingers loosened their grip on his pipe, which tumbled limply into the snow -- not like this not like this not like this --

"Patience, Wyn," said a man's voice, coming dangerously close to his ear. The soldier's eyes frantically strove to make out the speaker, but managed to catch only fleeting glimpses of thick white fabric. Seconds later, the pale skin of his back was exposed to the cold as a knife cut through his leather armor and the two layers of clothing he was wearing underneath.

"His friends may come anytime," rejoined the first -- "Hurry and make your mark, before they discover this filth's fate."

"They will not come." Her companion was brutally calm. "The tavern-keeper is our man. He will doubtlessly keep the Imperials occupied -- for that is his duty, just as we have ours. Now turn away; shoot anyone who draws near. You will not want to watch." And even as the archer's faint footsteps faded away into the distance, unspeakable pain shot through the soldier's nerves, the knife ripping through his skin to trace with its tip elaborate lines on his flesh.

His screams came as a feeble whisper. Snowflakes melted as they touched the steaming blood spilling ever so slowly from his wounds.

He would die slowly, but he would die, and when his comrades found him the markings on his back would tell them all they needed to know: The Keepers had come, and with them taken yet another from their ranks.

Radi'n felt the wind cutting into his newly-opened wounds as his spirit drifted away into the night.

Prince Deilus of Antheia saw it as he lounged in his lavish study, his oiled fingers picking hungrily at a succulent roast his servants had brought from the kitchens. "Lucky they put the windows in when they did," he rumbled, smooth bass punctuated by occasional rattles of cleariron -- the Empire's newest and most sought-after luxury, providing an unhindered view of the outside while shielding it from the elements. "I wouldn't want to have to sleep underground again like I did the last time a blizzard came through." Yellowing teeth clawed viciously at a particularly stubborn bit of meat.

"You eat too quickly, my liege." The disapproval of Arklat ges'Heit was voiced (as usual) in his mincing tenor, which the Prince had come to recognize as a dog would his master. "More of that, and you might ... choke. And that eventuality would certainly be a pity, wouldn't it?"

A fat hand dropped his half-eaten meal onto his bronzed plate. "How often have I told you not to sneak up on me like that?" Annoyance found its way into Deilus' words as he turned to face the Imperial ambassador. "It's unnerving."

"My apologies, sire." Even now, so far away from the eyes of the Court, the diplomat was obsequious as ever. Deilus was starting to think it had been born into his blood. "But I would remind you that you were the one who sent for me."

"Ah. Of course." Damn, why couldn't I have waited until after supper? "A letter came by post today. Apparently it's from the Primes themselves, their names be blessed by the gods -- I put it on my desk, next to my quills. You might be interested in its contents."

The ambassador's eyes drifted over to the table. "You opened it?"

"But certainly. I would remind you that it was addressed to me and not you -- though -- " The Prince sighed, eyeing his platter. He'd have to get another from the kitchens; the meat must be lukewarm by now, and he hated lukewarm meat. "Though I wish that it had been. Apparently the Empire is displeased with our lack of progress in catching the ... outcast."

Arklat had already snatched up the letter; his brows furrowed in anger as with deliberate precision he ripped it from end to end. "Fools," he spat: "Do they think we can simply snap our fingers and bring him to justice? He knows the wilderness better than all of our troops combined, that self-proclaimed princeling -- we've been on his heels for nineteen years and still haven't found a trace of him!"

"That," noted the Prince, "would be the lack of progress the letter refers to." He smacked his lips in appreciation, taking a sip from a goblet of wine. "And eager as we are to bring him to justice, it'll have to wait. Trained as our hunters may be, they're simply unequipped to operate in a storm of this intensity."

The ambassador turned slowly on one heel, its thick edge screeching loudly against the keep's polished stone floor. "You know, sire," Arklat began, and honey dripped from every word: "I'm starting to think you're not all that keen on finding this Scion." The flickering candles in the study cast a menacing shadow over his hollow face.

"You doubt my intentions? Then replace me and have someone else installed as Prince. But ware! for if you do, the Primes will without a doubt have you declared a failure as well." Deilus smiled broadly, leaning back against his brocaded divan. "We are ill-starred men, you and I, the b*****d children of unlucky days -- Oh, don't sulk like that, Arklat. Have some roast? It's good, if a little cold."

The gale sped over Vaie's Crown, covering the promontory that marked the end of the world in a blanket of powdery snow; over Raine's Tears, slowing and then stopping it altogether as it turned water to ice; over the Fthoran Waste, dimming evanescent lightbushes and plunging the wilderness into darkness. It barreled across plains and highlands and the leveled remains of primordial forests, over hills and ridges and the proud heights of solitary mountains, through hamlets and farms and the cramped streets of occupied Areyti -- and those that witnessed its passing were chilled to the bone.

The wheels of fate had been set into motion at last.

Sigh. I thought I got over all these long ones... Well First off, I like what you've got. I didn't read it all because my eyes hurt from the length. ARGH! Anyway, good vocabulary and sentence structure. Didn't see much problem with grammar except maybe a comma and a colon misuse. Dialogue is very good, an example to those that need much help in the area as it is not trite. I love the description, it is very well done and I can see the things happening. I'm going to give you a 9 because though I liked it, it was freaking long!!!! Good otherwise

rating= 9/10
Minus one for length? That was the introductory post for my kingdom, which is supposed to be fairly long; others are about a page or so, typed. Fear.
Lyght
Minus one for length? That was the introductory post for my kingdom, which is supposed to be fairly long; others are about a page or so, typed. Fear.

LOL! Fine I'll give you better. Not ten because it wasn't so beautiful that it made me cry.
Editted Rating= 9.1
I agree, Aluethyn shouldnt be deducting for length, in fact, i think that you should be allowed to post another long entry and make her read it.
Khent
I agree, Aluethyn shouldnt be deducting for length, in fact, i think that you should be allowed to post another long entry and make her read it.

I think you are a b*****d... stressed
Aluethyn
Khent

I think you are a b*****d... stressed

If the shoe fits, eat it.
The red-head crouched among the brush of the forest floor, instinctivly pulling the muddled gray hood of her cloak over her head. Within the suddle wash of the trees and the soft grays of the ground, she blended in perfectly. She grew instantly quiet, and froze completely; merging wholly with the dully colored background. She waited silently for her prey to show itself.

Her patience did not go unrewarded. Within minutes she noted movement off in the distance. 'Too far away now, but it's only a matter of time...' She smiled to herself and waited for it to draw closer. She could see patches, moving indefferently throughout the brush. The key was not to look for a difference of texture or color, but for movement. Locate the movement, you'll end your search.

She nocked an arrow silently, keeping her movements slow. She was about to bring it up when she heard something flying low above. She glanced up, slightly miffed at the distraction. There was a blur above her. 'Dragon...' She raised the bow to her eye and took aim, but not drawing yet. There had been more around lately, as well as more people as colonies popped up here and there. Not being one who really wanted to have anything to do with either, she kept her distance; but lately, doing so had proven more difficult As of right now, she did not appreciate the fact that her current hunt could be interrupted--lumbering giant or not.

'Maybe they won't bother me..' she thought wishfully, as she drew, aiming expertly for the eye. She let the arrow fly, as simutaneously her elven ears picked up movement in the distance, somewhere behind her. She grimaced at the thought. The arrow hit its mark perfectly, and she rose to inspect the fallen.

She picked up the bow with her, more out of necessity than anything else. If there was any other option, than she would take it to the bow... but sneaking up to prey actually proved much harder; and they moved much faster than humans for that matter. Though her daggers worked in a pinch for throwing, it was not their primary use. The short sword she carried also proved just as useful; so she had begun using a bow again after she had recently decided to 'retire' from her old occupation.

She had been forced out actually, she failed a job, but she had been set up. They had intended to kill her, and take out one of their enemies using her as their tool before they disposed of her. Two birds with one stone, so to speak. But, she did them one better. She let the girl escape, besides the embarrasing fact that she got away as well. She hadn't touched a bow since she was a kid, but it melded into her hands perfectly. Whenever a battle was imminent, she had the consistent habit of dropping it in an inconspicuous spot before jumping somewhere hidden. When it came to battles, she still preferred close range.

She smiled as she saw the perfect hit--a painless death. She bent down to pick up the critter. A forest rabbit, and seven pounds at that--a good catch. As she was bending down, there was a mix of a roar and a growl behind her. "Speak, you who would follow a Sky Dragoness!" She must have jumped six feet. She cursed, the rabbit in her hand, then promptly dashed away to a find an adequate spot, once again pulling the hood back over her head. She didn't know much about dragons, but she had heard stories. Wouldn't it be able to sense her? She didn't have much choice. She dashed away, then cursed strings to herself when she realized her mistake.

There sat her arrow, with fresh blood still glistening slightly in the sun, wide open in the middle of the clearing. Her eyes widened in awed silence. Why hadn't she heard it coming? It was a damn dragon, for god's sake!! There stood the feircest dragon she had ever seen. It's fangs bared, horns glistening... Her? All she could see was it's head, and an enourmous one at that. How big was it, exactly?

Her eyes stayed frozen on the arrow, how could one not see it? And, as if by cue, a rumbling, behind where her position had prevously been. The movement she had heard before--grew louder, it was getting closer. She crouched lower, making herself as small as possible. The dragoness was not focused on her, something bigger had it's attention, her eyes fixed towards the source of the noise. She watched silently; the dragoness may not be the biggest of her problems.
-------------------------------------------
Sorry. stressed super long. I know you don't want to read all of it, and yoush probrably don't have to to get a good idea of my level. I always write super long entries when introducing my character.
Heh. I'm down with that.

Not nearly as long, but whatever. It's the continuation, anyways.

Quote:
When Erian woke, the storm had already passed.

The moon was hidden, and for once the courtiers outshone the king -- sparkling stars (as diamonds spilled across richly purple cloth) reveling in the absence of their master, every so often they winking out before reappearing in a flurry of color.

It was only an hour or so before daybreak by his reckoning, judging by the light seeping through the edges of the door -- beams of murky purple fading to blue as they struck the floor, tracing the faint outline of a portal on tightly packed dirt. A misshapen mockery, thought the man, thrusting aside his covers with a push of his hand; with another, he stood, relinquishing the comfort of Sih's well-crafted mats to pad silently towards the house's only entrance.

He had indulged himself too often these days, and it was good for a man's constitution to breathe the morning air, to freeze half to death in snowdrifts, to go numb in the biting wind; and now, having been stirred by a feeling he still couldn't quite identify, Erian had followed obediently in its wake. His hand reached out for the lock, making sure to effect as little noise as possible --

"Going somewhere?" There was a hint of humor in the distinct -- and distinctly feminine -- voice.

His fingers relaxed on the iron stay he had hammered onto the frame just the other night -- for safety's sake. "Lysse." By the gods she's quiet. "It's early. You ought to be abed."

"With you making that sort of ruckus? You'd bring the roof down on top of us." The slender swordswoman stepped out of the darkness to join him, a flick of a finger lighting the candle she had brought from her cot a room over; welcome heat spilled over the two of them, casting flickering shadows on their spotted white cloaks.

Erian laughed -- softly, to avoid disturbing the ones still sleeping. "In other words, you were up before I was," he observed, "and stayed your own sojourn to surprise me with your prescience. I'm old, but not yet senile."

Her expression was blank as she slid the latch sideways, opening the door and gesturing for him to go first. "It creaks. I'll ask Sih to oil the hinges when he gets up." Any semblance of wit had disappeared entirely from her words. "Go on."

The man hesitated, though a booted foot had already crossed the threshold. "You're not coming?"

"You said it yourself. It's early, and I ought to be abed." And a firm hand pushed him out of the way before closing the door behind him; Lysse's footsteps were barely audible as she disappeared deeper into the farmhouse. But the fact that they were audible even through these thick walls gave Erian pause.

That woman, he thought, picking himself up from where he had landed, a rueful smile lighting his scarred visage. It's been nearly twenty years, and I still can't understand her. Heaving a sigh, he leaned back against solid wood, staring out over the vast expanse of ice that stretched for miles before him: A sight possessed of a serene and dangerous splendor, weaving its hypnotic weft on vision's willing warp.

Indeed, there is introspection to be had in such tranquility, forcing itself on those who do not often find solace in its hold, and here in the peace before the dawn (as before every dawn) he will pay silent homage to the fallen -- and to those yet to fall, whose souls have not hitherto crossed the final portal of the world.

Her name was Kyria and she had been a handmaiden to Ydris, Mistress of the Gateways before the Kampla'Tral took her into their keeping. Fifteen when first initiated into the Link, sixteen when given as slave to Likh At'lan, she had spent more than a quarter of her life in captivity -- and now, marching with a patrol of burly Imperial soldiers across the frozen lands of her home, she felt in the back of her mind a sudden ominous premonition that she would not like what would transpire once they reached their final destination.

It turned out to be a small homestead about two hours' walk from Areyti, nestled between a small hill and a fenced-off field devoid of plants. The leader of the patrol raised a clenched fist into the air, halting his men a few feet from the door as from the middle of their ranks a robed figure emerged, his braided beard rimed with congealed sweat from the arduous journey.

And At'lan, At'lan the Cruel, At'lan the Lecher who had inducted her into the ranks of womanhood far before her time -- At'lan her master entered her mind.

Kyria had become familiar with his subtle touch over the years, but she had never grown used to it. There were some in the ranks of the Controllers who snapped their slaves in half with the sheer brutality of their Linking; there were others who slid in ophidian, snake-like, making their presence known like a viper from the grass. At'lan was one of the latter, and while his presence rose from the back of her brain to take control of her neural pathways, she felt an involuntary shiver run down her spine as her eyes snapped shut and her muscles relaxed.

Mind-rape, she had once heard it described. Truly, there was no other term.

Thus she did not fight when the first flows of Maj swirled in front of her, when she (with he) called forth the free-flowing manastrands of this broken world, when she forged flame from nothingness and curved it about her slender fingers -- for she had become a mere spectator in a mortal shell, left to watch helplessly as At'lan called forth yet more fire from the great conjoined Spirit that had given her power beyond measure. And she could not cry out in despair or agony when of his volition she raised her arm to ignite thatch and straw and the sacred wood of her homeland --

Many more houses would be lit on that day, flaking ash and crisped corpses speaking to atrocities beyond name and measure. "Retribution," the Prince would call it, "against those who perpetrate acts of terror against the legitimate rule of a benevolent government." Others would call it something decidedly different.

Yet like there is majesty in winter's frozen desolation, there is a certain seductive beauty to be found even in the midst of such horror. In days to come those unfamiliar with the destruction would tell tale of a hundred glowing beacons that lit the sky with a hundred suns, and the story would spread from the markets to the taverns to a thousand halls of a thousand homes. For it was a sign from Ygeia child of Ydris, this dawn unheralded by the sun, this crimson banner of unnatural change --

And it would burn in their memory like a dagger in their heart.

You guys probably don't care for me posting so much junk, so just tell me and I'll remove myself from your thread.
Khent

If the shoe fits, eat it.

Aluethyn calmly unwraps her scythe and steps toward the unsuspecting Khent as he is laughing his head off at his apparent wit. In the next moment and a swing later, his head rolls onto the grass.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff