Welcome to Gaia! ::

Almost every gym teacher I ever had was abusive. Like, my high school had a weights class where they regularly drove people into fainting and vomiting on the first day. Another gym teacher I had made a kid with a broken wrist do push-ups. And when I dropped the aforementioned weights class I got put into an online gym class (yes, that's a thing) with a creepy instructor who harassed female students and tried to coerce them into meeting him alone... yyyyyyyyeah. There is something about the job that attracts sadists and creepers. >:l

There's also the awful tendency where PE classes cater to athletic students and punish/humiliate people that can't keep up. Yeah, these are anecdotes and some schools do it better than others but they're common experiences. A lot of PE classes are just s**t unless you're already an athlete. And I really really really can't get behind the idea of having your grade drop because you were sick or hurt. That's not ok. That's the main reason I don't think it should be a required credit. One bout with the flu can totally ******** you over.

I would not have as much of a problem with PE classes being required if they were... you know... better. Like, show me a PE class where you learn to exercise at your skill level without hurting yourself, where they actually teach you about nutrition, and I'd be all for that. But my exercise habits were pretty much crushed by gym classes. x___x;;; I learned to hate exercise and I'm still mad about it.

Obsessive Consumer

No. If people want to exercise, let them. If you're like me and would rather avoid the PE uniform at all costs (at least $25), then let me. :I
Mandatory exercise isn't really gonna work at all.

Although, our PE wasn't nearly as bad as puella's experiences. Just boring. You didn't really have to do anything to pass. I still tried, though, especially since hockey is so fun.
i think it should be mandatory as human beings we are dependent on our body why not be stronger and healthier?
In my opinion, it should be mandatory (for only two years, then optional) so that people have the opportunity to exercise during school. Yet, they should also improve the classes, the way the classes are taught, and which classes are offered. If the offered classes varied more (at my school, there is only 9th grade P.E., 10th grade P.E., weightlifting, and advanced P.E.), then the options would be better. Also, if people would participate (and if everyone was at a similar skill level), then the class could become a fun break from academic courses, instead of the boring class it usually is.

Hilarious Genius

1,550 Points
  • Alchemy Level 1 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Hygienic 200
awsomecopter
i think it should be mandatory as human beings we are dependent on our body why not be stronger and healthier?

the thing is it doesn't! you need an hour a day so and hour of p.e once a week does nothing
In my PE class, most people would just stand around and talk. There wasn't much exercising going on. It was a waste of time to me.

Questionable Borg

puella in somnio
Almost every gym teacher I ever had was abusive. Like, my high school had a weights class where they regularly drove people into fainting and vomiting on the first day. Another gym teacher I had made a kid with a broken wrist do push-ups. And when I dropped the aforementioned weights class I got put into an online gym class (yes, that's a thing) with a creepy instructor who harassed female students and tried to coerce them into meeting him alone... yyyyyyyyeah. There is something about the job that attracts sadists and creepers. >:l

There's also the awful tendency where PE classes cater to athletic students and punish/humiliate people that can't keep up. Yeah, these are anecdotes and some schools do it better than others but they're common experiences. A lot of PE classes are just s**t unless you're already an athlete. And I really really really can't get behind the idea of having your grade drop because you were sick or hurt. That's not ok. That's the main reason I don't think it should be a required credit. One bout with the flu can totally ******** you over.

I would not have as much of a problem with PE classes being required if they were... you know... better. Like, show me a PE class where you learn to exercise at your skill level without hurting yourself, where they actually teach you about nutrition, and I'd be all for that. But my exercise habits were pretty much crushed by gym classes. x___x;;; I learned to hate exercise and I'm still mad about it.
Ever think maybe you just didn't like the teacher? I bet if the stuff you mentioned really was going on, enough people would have complained, something would have been done.

6,300 Points
  • Statustician 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
Well thee only reason we have P.E is so we could REDUCE child OBESITY!!!!
Mayor Gravity
puella in somnio

Ever think maybe you just didn't like the teacher? I bet if the stuff you mentioned really was going on, enough people would have complained, something would have been done.

>Assuming based on incomplete info that nobody complained or fought back
>Assuming that complaining to school administrators always gets results
>Implying that since people generally complain when bad things happen, bad things can't have happened at all...??? (no srsly I'm confused but I would sure like to live in the world that runs on this logic)
>Baselessly accusing a stranger of making up stories about abusive experiences
>Probably just wants to look like a hardass

User Image

Kawaii Trash

15,125 Points
  • Noble Shade 100
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Demonic Associate 100
I DEFINITELY think PE should be mandatory (unless you take out-of-campus PE).

Why?

1. Goshdarnit, people, this is your HEALTH you're talking about. I sure as heck know that the majority of you guys don't do enough exercise (that is, ones that make you sweat and go all-out) daily.

2. I know that when you think of PE, you think of gross gyms and annoying uniforms. But that's the shallow end of the thinking pool. PE is for your own good.

3. I know this is an exaggeration, but if you guys don't exercise, and your children don't exercise, and your children's children don't exercise, where would we be a few hundred years from now? We would end up like the fat guys in WALL-E, that's what.

4. You guys might be like "Dude, chill. If i get decent grades and a good job, then who needs exercise?" Well, think of it this way: Say you get really good grades and all that jazz, and you're going to a job interview. You're pudgy, the clothes don't fit quite right, and after those flights of stairs, you're sweaty and out of breath. You enter the room. The interviewer thinks, "Wow. This guy is kinda out of shape. He must not exercise or get out of the house a lot. Just holed up behind his computer, not being sociable or contributing to the community...gee."

I know all of this has been a stretch. But it could very well happen.

-RANT COMPLETE-
No, but I do think that teaching kids about healthy lifestyle choices and habits should be. I'd prefer it if kids had a choice between doing P.E. or some kind of a nutrition/health class as an alternative if they're not comfortable doing the former for whatever reason.

Playful Player

10,825 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Forum Dabbler 200
User Image
User ImageUser Image

Yes, just like Health is mandatory at most established public schools. User Image

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff