Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pretty Pea Princess
Arcobelano
Pretty Pea Princess
Arcobelano
Pretty Pea Princess
Arcobelano

Whole thing could of been avoided if she weren't so trusting. But that would be completely out of character of her.

edit: wait...season 2 needed a plot.

Trusting family is bad?
Second, Tarrlock's is at fault for not telling Korra.
Either way, Korra is going to know about it sooner or later.
Angry spirits is unavoidable.

Just because someone is related to you doesn't mean you have to trust them. I mean korra could of done a little digging around and snooping. But as we all know she isn't the type to play spy.

Where is she doing to dig? The tundra.
For the most part, Korra's uncle did tell the truth.
He just left out some main details.

Leaving out information can be worse than outright lying.

That's why Korra turned her back against her uncle.

Well, that and a hostile take over. What I found fairly interesting was how similar the current conflict in LOK is to some fairly recent events in world history.

Cluttered Businesswoman

Arcobelano
Pretty Pea Princess
Arcobelano
Pretty Pea Princess
Arcobelano

Just because someone is related to you doesn't mean you have to trust them. I mean korra could of done a little digging around and snooping. But as we all know she isn't the type to play spy.

Where is she doing to dig? The tundra.
For the most part, Korra's uncle did tell the truth.
He just left out some main details.

Leaving out information can be worse than outright lying.

That's why Korra turned her back against her uncle.

Well, that and a hostile take over. What I found fairly interesting was how similar the current conflict in LOK is to some fairly recent events in world history.

LOK is written in the present.
What else can I say?

Lavish Husband

I'm done with the character.
I wasn't throwing fits everytime I talked to people when I was her age.
Only time I've seen a person like Korra was on T.V on reality T.V shows.
And, a lot of those are atleast mildly scripted for drama.
I feel so bad for Mako. I could never take that.
I would've told her no, already, that I wouldn't be treated that way. neutral

Korra is an inherently flawed character, that's why it's frustrating to watch her.
At first, I thought I wouldn't find people who felt the same,
that everyone else was a non-thinking follower of the show.
I'm glad that's not the case.
Not meaning to insult those who genuinely still like Korra, though I'll never understand why.

Codebreaking Genius

12,700 Points
  • Statustician 100
  • Nerd 50
  • Team Edward 100
I'm still watching for now, but I may not finish the series. It's all gone MEH.

Cluttered Businesswoman

Gray Flashbacks

Korra is an inherently flawed character, that's why it's frustrating to watch her.

This trait of Korra's makes her so much more interesting.
I did not sign up to watch a Mary-sue.

Lavish Husband

Pretty Pea Princess
This trait of Korra's makes her so much more interesting.
I did not sign up to watch a Mary-sue.

Since I'm going off the second season, how about I tell you that, in the first season, she was a mary-sue.
Also, there are ways of having a flawed character be incredibly grating.
Obviously, every character needs flaws, but that's not all they need to keep them from being a bad character.

"Introducing the new Avatar. As a baby she’s already busting through walls and bending three elements
(can’t do air yet).
Flash forward and she’s defeating skilled benders in duels and is known as being incredibly strong.
First appearance in Republic City and she trashes three benders from a notorious gang.
With no history of Pro-Bending (the sport) she carries her team to the finals.
What am I getting at? She’s damn strong from the onset and displays no real character growth."

"More, Korra has the attention of the only two male leading characters her age.
Why? I don’t know. She hasn't done much to get their attention.
Bolin likes her because he likes any female attention
(he goes on about how she came to see him as a fan
and is characterized as someone who enjoys the company of women).
Somewhere during the series, that personality got erased and replaced with the sad little brother
that couldn't compete with his big brother for the girl he loves."

"What does this mean? Korra is a Sue. ---
A Sue is too ideal to be plausible, and makes for a horrible character because an underdog achieves goals,
a perfect character just exists and everything works out for them."

"Strong from the very moment we are introduced to her, has the only two male main characters in love with her,
treated special because of her status as Avatar, can bend multiple elements, and manages to steal another girl’s man,
as well as steal a kiss from him when she knew he was in a relationship, but not get in trouble for it.
Everything just works out for Korra. She’s the freaking Avatar. She’s special.
Her one flaw is that she can’t connect to her spiritual side, which is never a complication in the story,
and eventually she does anyway so she can bring in a deus ex machina."
-- The Skeptical Prophet

I would write it out myself, but I already found this article long ago and it says everything I would need to already.
For the later series, they stripped her of her Sue-ness, but made her unbearable in the process.
I, personally, as a writer, don't see how they can handle writing for Korra's character anymore.
And the first season just felt like a fanfiction. Still feels like a fanfiction.
Go read some, examine the female main characters. See how they force conflict. Now tell me Korra isn't fanfiction.

Cluttered Businesswoman

Gray Flashbacks

Except Korra wasn't a mary-sue.
Even through, Korra 'mastered' the physical side of bending, she couldn't grasp the spiritual side.
She spent the entire season learning airbending and still hasn't completely mastered it (+ spiritual side).
Korra is far from perfect and her flaws are completely relevant to the plot of the story.
This.
Korra should be strong after undergoing vigorous training for thirteen years. It would strange if she's not.
The members of the Triple Triad aren't very strong. They're pathetically weak. I doubt that they trained vigorously at bending for thirteen years.
Korra had a lot of trouble with Pro-Bending. She had a tough time working together with her team.
The thing is the concept of Pro-Bending is not hard to understand. You defeat the other team by knocking them into the water.
Also:

Quote:
Korra was known as a prodigy in the physical side of bending. That's why she is considered such a strong bender.

Korra didn't carry her team to the finals. A lot of it was Bolin and Mako. Remember, Bolin helped win a crucial match by winning the tie breaker. Without Bolin's win, the team would have lost. Furthermore, Korra's character was developed during the pro bending matches. One time, she was separated from Bolin and Mako and was all on her own. She had to utilize air bending movements in order to dodge incoming attacks. Before, during Tenzin's training with the airbending gates, Korra had extreme difficulty weaving in and out of them. Korra realized that she needed those air bending skills and made use of them in the pro bending match. Before, she had angrily stated that she doesn't need air bending but she proved herself wrong.
~ Janice
Again, Korra has spent the past thirteen years of her life training vigorously with skilled benders. Most of the participants did not receive the training Korra did in her childhood. Korra may be strong physically but it is evident that she's weak spiritually. Being an avatar is not just about the physical side of bending.

There's a logical reasoning to why Korra started out so strong in the beginning.
She was trained vigorously under Order of White Lotus.
Not to mention, her waterbending teacher was Katara, only one of the best waterbenders ever.
Quote:
There are many reasons why Bolin likes Korra, "Shes strong, I'm strong, she's fun, I'm fun, she's beautiful, I'M GORGEOUS."
~Janice
The thing is Bolin is that he's practically in love with almost every female character.
Bolin had a crush on Korra, Asami (somewhat?), Ginger, and Eska.
Korra isn't exactly treated 'special'. Lin did not even trust Korra despite Korra being the avatar.
Korra had to work for her trust. Initially with Mako, Korra had to prove herself that she was worthy to be on the Fire Ferret.
Quote:
Korra never stole Mako from Asami. Mako and Asami's relationship was falling because Mako and Korra had a stronger connection, they knew each other for longer and spent more time with each other.
~Janice

The whole meaning of being an avatar is the ability to bend multiple elements.
Korra has the flaw of never listening to others. She's arrogant and hotheaded. She fails to stand in other people's shoes and consider their reasoning. That for one is a detrimental flaw.
She almost lost her father. At the same time, because of her temper, she is now stuck in a spirit's stomach.

Quote:
Korra is not in any way a Mary Sue. A Mary-sue is an overly perfect character with no major flaws what so ever. Korra has flaws, she's impulsive and aggressive which nearly got her bending taken away in episode 4 had Amon not decided to save her for last. A Mary-sue can also be considered over powered which Korra is certainly not. She hasn't shown to have any spectacular bending abilities of which can be compared to previous Avatars. She can't move massive chunks of land like Avatar Kyoshi. She can't bend all four elements at the same time like Avatar Roku. She can't voluntarily go into Avatar state like Aang. She wasn't feared like Avatar Yangchen who stopped war for an entire generation after she had died. She is also incapable of bending sub skills such as metal, blood and lightning. Also, it's not like she is a master at every element she bends. This is shown when she first air bends, as she uses strong punches and kicks instead of circular movement to knock her opponent down. The only reason why she was able to push Amon away was because they were fighting in a narrow hallway in which Amon was not able to dodge.

As of now, I would consider her one of the weaker Avatar's because she has yet to fully contribute to her role as the Avatar. If she were to be a Mary-sue then she would have already did something astounding to make her the best Avatar the world has seen.
~Janice

Personally, you should take own advice.
I think Korra is perfectly fine.
There are still fourteen (?) episodes left which allows her to develop.
Keep in mind that LOK is half as long as TLA, meaning the development will be more rapid.

Hilarious Genius

14,900 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Alchemy Level 2 100
  • Timid 100
Games_Dean
I don't know about anybody else but right now she's really irritating me.
Do you Agree, Disagree. Whatever
xd

she'snot completely irritating me. i like her, but i think she's too hot-headed whch leads to a lot of annnoyance

Kawaii Transform

I have met several children and teenagers who act the same way Korra does at times. Parenting and the environment you grow up in fosters different behaviorism. As others have pointed out, Korra being thrust into "you're going to save the world" mode from being a young child got to her head. Anyone who is isolated far from any other life (aside from your tribe, and those who train you) would probably adjust the same way she has.

I will admit that sometimes I dislike Korra. I don't think labeling her a mary sue is correct though, as someone else pointed out, mary sues often do not have flaws. I think what we have is a character who is very stubborn and headstrong because of her upbringing. However, I can relate to how Korra feels and her frustrations. From her perspective, not only did her father get thrown into jail for something he did not do, but her own uncle used her and betrayed her trust/faith. Sure, she was quick to drop Tenzin, but I account that for her inexperience. Often, the people who are sheltered can be quick to jump at any opportunity present, if they aren't satisfied with their current situation. She was feeling unhappy because she wanted further training from Tenzin, only to be told, "You are not ready." Whether she may or may not have been ready is irrelevant.

Anyway, getting back to her perspective. Not only were her parents put on trial, her father thrown in jail, and her faith in her uncle destroyed, everyone she turns to basically refuses to help. It's been tossed around in the season that the avatar should remain neutral, but I think almost anyone in her shoes (when it is about your own family) would probably drop that mindset quickly. So she goes to the president because she doesn't know who else to ask, and he blatantly refuses to help her. I can understand that not every government official can do things (The USA probably wouldn't have jumped into wars previously if we weren't attacked somehow). But after dealing with that frustration, Mako sidesteps her the same way he is doing to Bolin and then dumps her because she is frustrated with his neglectful attitude. Then after all of this, she ends up having to deal with everything on her own, gets eaten by an angry spirit, and loses her memory.

Korra has had it rough, and while I am excited for her amnesia (and potential character development because of it), I think everyone needs to cut her some slack.

Gray Flashbacks

In the spirit of friendly debate, I offer my own opinion above.

I can agree with most of what you said. Except for the fact that, you imply with your statement, people who like Korra (and her behavior) are non-thinking followers of the show.

I don't think stripping Korra from "mary sue" tendencies has destroyed her character.
Nope, I find the show and character more interesting now. It is a lot of pressure being the Avatar, something others can't quite understand, so of course she is going to struggle and have an attitude at times (also she is young and needs time to really grow. Going to take more than just less than a year living outside the compound where is mostly just trained to really grow as a person, people seem to forget that. It can take years for a person to really grown and change drastically. It isn't something that happens over night, especially when you are dealing with problem after another. Stress is a difficult thing to handle, even more so when you have so much pressure on you since a very young age).

Now we have a chance to see her grow and her mistakes makes her seem more human. Avatar's are powerful, but they were meant to be humans and make mistakes in order to really help the people and relate/sympathies with them. People have different personalities, which makes each Avatar unique.

Like others said, environments, different situations, parenting, etc...all shapes a person. Korra being sheltered most of her life and only known to be the Avatar made it difficult for her once she left and went to republic city.

Aang was the more lighthearted and carefree one and Korra is the more headstrong. We see their flaws and personalities, we also seen Korra admit her mistakes, which is a sign she is growing and learning. Now with the new episode, It think she will really have a chance to really grown and learn about Korra as a person and not just Korra as the Avatar. Once she learns who she is, then is when the real changes take place.

I think this what book two, spirits is about, for her to really learn and connect with her spiritual. It took her a long time to able to go into the Avatar state, but she still has a ways to go to master it. She is good with the physical side of being the Avatar (she train for years with the physical ascepts of bending, aside from airbending and had only been able to airbend for about six months now), but this has always been her major weakness and the most important part of being the Avatar, as the are the bring of the human world and spirit world.

Of course Legend of Korra is going to be different from AtLA as Aang didn't know bending besides airbending and was traveling the world, focusing on that, as well as the show being a lot longer which means more fillers with the other characters and can afford to take a bit more time (LoK was originally meant to be just a short sequel so show how much things has changed from the original series. They orignally only give 12 episodes and didn't know if they would get the green light to continue when book one first ended. They already had to change and cut things out because of that).

I think the main problem is that people need to take a step back and look at the characters to really understand them and why they act the way they act and do the things they do. People aren't doing that and I think that is causing most of the frustration as they don't truly understand the character.

People claim they could write a better story, but they never make it to have their works published (most fanfics fail as they often lack understanding and the characters and stories become too unrelatable and bland. How are the characters affected by how they are raised or dealing with different situations. Are the making mistakes and failing and times and learning from it eventually or do they just accomplish things and seem to have no flaws or unaffected by things? Do you build things up slowly?).

Greedy Capitalist

She's rash, but too rash...I don't like that.

At least Jet was a semi-controlled kind of insanity.
she's such a brat oh my god i want someone to knock her off of her avatar pedestal

Distinct Gawker

5,200 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • First step to fame 200
I like her. I get annoyed, but I like her. Actually,I like her more than Aang during AtLA. Does that tell you anything? I'm not going to repeat the good points that have already been stated about why she's A GOOD character, 'cause I have nothing to add.
What's bothering me right now is how badly Korra just f**ked up right now.

Wan the first avatar did the world a favor by sealing Vatuu away and sealing the doorways to spirit world. But now that Korra has opened the doorway, she had just invited the possibility of 10,000 years of darkness to the world. If humanity thought the 100 year war was bad then that would be a cake walk by comparison to what's coming.

As theorized by others if Unalaq is planning to become a dark avatar and Korra fails to stop him or the 10,000 years of darkness then that is literally one giant piss on all the hard work of the avatars before her.

I could literally see all her past lives being like 'WTF Korra?!'
Well first off I don't know why she would've been so trustworthy of Unalaq in the first place, having only been recently betrayed by Tarrlok months prior.

Hopefully this season is setting up a big conflict that will carry on with the other seasons as well, like how bringing down the fire nation was the main focus of all the Last Airbender books. Perhaps the spirits get released into the real world and Korra must find a way to lead them all back into the spirit world the same way Wan did?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff