Welcome to Gaia! ::

Distinct Genius

9,950 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
How much layering do you need in the original avatar arena do you need so it can be consider good? How much is bad?

Toxic Transmutator

Yazaa
How much layering do you need in the original avatar arena do you need so it can be consider good? How much is bad?

I can't really say that 3 items is just right and 5 is way too much - it really depends on the items, and the effect you want to archive. The best layering is the one that you don't really see because the items kind of flow into each other - and that's the hardest to do, too, imo.

Distinct Genius

9,950 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
Utopia
Yazaa

I can't really say that 3 items is just right and 5 is way too much - it really depends on the items, and the effect you want to archive. The best layering is the one that you don't really see because the items kind of flow into each other - and that's the hardest to do, too, imo.

oh because some of the avis i was looking have a little to much layering that doesn't look right are scoring high but those who have little layering and have elegant flowing to them are not. Is is the voter's choices or opinion??

Seeker

12,050 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Elocutionist 200
It's really up to the voter what they think about it.

Shameless Shounen

20,975 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Hero 100
  • Demonic Associate 100
Simple Avatars have won before but they made good use of the descriptions~

Distinct Genius

9,950 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
IVIiku

ok i want to enter, i tried once and it didnt work. but i don't know how to layer like the best of them??? Can someone teach me how to layer

Toxic Transmutator

Yazaa
IVIiku

ok i want to enter, i tried once and it didnt work. but i don't know how to layer like the best of them??? Can someone teach me how to layer

I don't think that can be taught, to be honest - it's trial and error.
You could check out this thread, though. It's all about matching and layering items that fit each other.

Distinct Genius

9,950 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
Utopia
Yazaa
IVIiku

I don't think that can be taught, to be honest - it's trial and error.
You could check out this thread, though. It's all about matching and layering items that fit each other.
thanks I go check it out now

Dangerous Rogue

10,750 Points
  • Mega Tipsy 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • First step to fame 200
To be honest its sadly a very subjective concept since while some drool over clutter, you have plenty who simply hate the concept as well.

Personally I think a project needs a little bit of layering, balancing, cohesiveness, theming and CHARACTERIZATION to make them relatively stand out in the spotlight. I honestly don't like a great deal of monochromatic avi's that simply think that excessive layering justifies the fact that its a fairly simple management of items to begin with.

Distinct Genius

9,950 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
GalavantMan
To be honest its sadly a very subjective concept since while some drool over clutter, you have plenty who simply hate the concept as well.

Personally I think a project needs a little bit of layering, balancing, cohesiveness, theming and CHARACTERIZATION to make them relatively stand out in the spotlight. I honestly don't like a great deal of monochromatic avi's that simply think that excessive layering justifies the fact that its a fairly simple management of items to begin with.

Ok im trying to do that now but for some reason it not coming together like it suppose to. Maybe you can help. Give me constructive criticism and suggestion. I would post it in another thread by I fearful a certain groups would "stone me".

Dangerous Rogue

10,750 Points
  • Mega Tipsy 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • First step to fame 200
Yazaa
GalavantMan

Ok im trying to do that now but for some reason it not coming together like it suppose to. Maybe you can help. Give me constructive criticism and suggestion. I would post it in another thread by I fearful a certain groups would "stone me".

I'm not really one to help in that regard in originals. For originals I'm extremely subjective to entries in the fray, it's not like cosplays where I can judge the quality from a reference therefore I really only vote or comment on something I find vaguely interesting or very well presented. To be honest when it comes down to it, I'm not good for critiquing original designs because I find the whole concept very subjective towards everyones personal taste and can't form a legit professional opinion on the matter because I don't believe in one.

Not to sound rude no offensive, but I have to necessarily understand or appreciate the design//theme before putting my own two cents into it.

Distinct Genius

9,950 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
GalavantMan
Yazaa
GalavantMan

I'm not really one to help in that regard in originals. For originals I'm extremely subjective to entries in the fray, it's not like cosplays where I can judge the quality from a reference therefore I really only vote or comment on something I find vaguely interesting or very well presented. To be honest when it comes down to it, I'm not good for critiquing original designs because I find the whole concept very subjective towards everyone' personal taste and can't find a legit professional opinion on the matter because I don't believe in one.

ok but is it was cosplay would that be a problem or are you good in that subject area??

Dangerous Rogue

10,750 Points
  • Mega Tipsy 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • First step to fame 200
Yazaa
GalavantMan
Yazaa
GalavantMan

I'm not really one to help in that regard in originals. For originals I'm extremely subjective to entries in the fray, it's not like cosplays where I can judge the quality from a reference therefore I really only vote or comment on something I find vaguely interesting or very well presented. To be honest when it comes down to it, I'm not good for critiquing original designs because I find the whole concept very subjective towards everyone' personal taste and can't find a legit professional opinion on the matter because I don't believe in one.

ok but is it was cosplay would that be a problem or are you good in that subject area??

With a cosplay it's very cut and dry. I can tell you what item works, or what doesn't because in the end you'll be judged by those standards.

For originals however what people view as good or bad is entirely subjective with the exception of a few guidelines and sadly you'll be judged by that sense of purely biased flimsiness. You first got to visualize and focus on what it is that you yourself want for your original design to become, and then you iron it out to your own appeal through the process. Sadly it's not up to me to tell you what it is that you want because honestly I'll probably won't ever fully know or understand your process.

Distinct Genius

9,950 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
GalavantMan
Yazaa
GalavantMan
Yazaa
GalavantMan

With a cosplay it's very cut and dry. I can tell you what item works, or what doesn't because in the end you'll be judged by those standards.

For originals however what people view as good or bad is entirely subjective with the exception of a few guidelines and sadly you'll be judged by that sense of purely biased flimsiness. You first got to visualize and focus on what it is that you yourself want for your original design to become, and then you iron it out to your own appeal through the process. Sadly it's not up to me to tell you what it is that you want because honestly I'll probably won't ever fully know or understand your process.

can you look at my avi in the arenas and tell me what you think of it. Here is the link Click Here

Moonlight Lover

19,600 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Alchemy Level 9 100
  • Champion 300
This thread may help you out.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers