Welcome to Gaia! ::

Fashionable Genius

6,875 Points
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • First step to fame 200
roxie112
i dont know why- i notice that in the media too

Taylor swifts songs arent that good yet they are so popular- coldplays songs are amazing and they dont have as much popularity as Taylor Swift

so yeah i dont know why that is- perhaps jealousy. or perhaps taylor swift just markets easier

Corporate things sell better. Popular work (no matter what it is) appeals to the mass aesthetics, because they're spoonfed it by the people who have the money, and those who have the money sell what they know will appeal to the largest demographics.

Invisible Gekko

8,275 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Invisibility 100
HeezDeadJim
OK...it seems most people read my bit wrong. In no way shape or form did I say that using Photoshop/Painter isn't art. Nor did I say there weren't ANY good PS/Painter artists...so don't assume that I write off anyone that uses these tools (i have a WACOM also). That "other" site is a blessing and a bane. It has a lot of great photography and traditional art...but yet it also houses a lot of users that crank out mediocre art and brag about it.

I was merely giving the Original Poster an example of a tendency in another popular art site that we are seeing in this one. My previous post wasn't about which media is superior. Use what you're comfortable with and enjoy doing it. But keep the bragging to yourself.

This is the reason why I try to avoid forums. There's always someone/people that misinterpret what someone else says...and it becomes a big mess of each person attacking and defending each other.

So I'll close with what I said in the previous post: "All good/great artists were bad artists at some point"
No need to avoid forums. It's easy to misinterpret text, especially over the internet. All you need to do is find another way to convey your point.

All the good/ great artist learned early on that criticism is in no way meant to hurt, but help. Most of the new young artist (especially on gaia and deviant) seem to get real butthurt over someone pointing out the smallest of mistakes, and often defend it with a really bad excuse. Other bad artist then flock to their aid and defend them, so they feel that their argument is justified and continue to make the same mistakes with the same excuses, and never grow. (that feels like a run on sentence... Oh well.. )

Half the time it has nothing to do with artistic skill and everything to do with what Naruto character you drew..
Cyrille Laurell
User Image

You make me sick...

♥ I've been fooling around the pic. post thread for a few days now.
I find LOTS of bad artists, that receive many , maaaany praises. And then, I see people who are really talented, and only receive comments like "It's ok. You need to be better at randomthinghere"

What makes this bad artists so popular? I think it's really unfair for people who actually CAN draw. I don't believe they should call bad artists that draw like 5-year-olds to be "REALLY TALENTED!"

:l What do you guys think about this?

PD: Sorry if I am being offensive. I am just pointing out what I think.. ♥

... Because I adore you so

I totally understand.
And most of these bad artists just copy off of their favorite animu anyways. It gets really annoying.
But, that's what people around here want to see, I guess.
HeezDeadJim
OK...it seems most people read my bit wrong. In no way shape or form did I say that using Photoshop/Painter isn't art. Nor did I say there weren't ANY good PS/Painter artists...so don't assume that I write off anyone that uses these tools (i have a WACOM also). That "other" site is a blessing and a bane. It has a lot of great photography and traditional art...but yet it also houses a lot of users that crank out mediocre art and brag about it.

I was merely giving the Original Poster an example of a tendency in another popular art site that we are seeing in this one. My previous post wasn't about which media is superior. Use what you're comfortable with and enjoy doing it. But keep the bragging to yourself.

This is the reason why I try to avoid forums. There's always someone/people that misinterpret what someone else says...and it becomes a big mess of each person attacking and defending each other.

So I'll close with what I said in the previous post: "All good/great artists were bad artists at some point"

User Image

You make me sick...

Sorry for misinterpreting your message XDD;; ♥

hm i eally never though about...hm...
Noob artists who can't handle anything other than being praised should grow up. Commenters should learn how to give constructive comments.

Other than that, I don't have anything to say. Most has already been said here already (and I agree with about everyone), so I won't go and repeat it. heart
While encouragement is something *every* new artist needs when they first start out, we (The ones who actually appreciate the art and not just look for a pair of eyes and a nose) need to see that after, say, 2 pages of meaningless praise, it's time to get serious. And while it's mush easier to say "It looks great ^^" rather than "You might want to change ______, because, while you've got the idea, it looks like ______", we've got to get tough on these guys. Because you can't eat a marshmellow by waiting for it to melt in your mouth; you've got to chew and swallow (Stupid analogy, I know. But I want marshmellows right now >> )

Chatty Phantom

I'm coming to butt into your conversation now....>.>

I've seen some amazing...thread layouts...that are on top rated forums and then you go to look at the examples and your eyes start burning. It's quite disappointing.

And about the whole, they give good comments to people who aren't per se' good
They should get the comments that best suit their abilities...so they can..I don't know...improve maybe?
If someone told me my eyes were lopsided I'd focus on that and make it better next time. If someone told me it was amazing..when they really didn't mean it, I wouldn't see what I messed up
No, you shouldn't be mean and start cussing people out because it's bad, but saying it's amazing and extraordinary when it's not is just as bad...at least that's how I see it
If you feel like what your saying about their work is mean...don't say a single word..just forget it and move on to another thread/artist (whatever)
User Image

You make me sick...

♥ I totally agree with what you are saying xD
Tho, we all like compliments, critiques are way more useful :l And n00bs don't get that D; Artists that can't take critiques shouldn't even be artists in the first place -w-♥

xXxXNeverMoreXxXx

n00b artist's attract other n00b's, those n00b's then asspat.

I really dislike the PP now that it is flooded with kid's who just whip out some lined paper and draw something in like a minute, then post it assuming they are an art prodigy. Then when you critique on how they should practice and draw on un-lined paper you get a response like "you're just jealous" "Let me see you do any better" or "You're mean (or sometimes I get flamed or see others get flamed)". I hate when good art appears in the PP and then goes unnoticed die to the lack of fanart or anime in it D:
Because they don't really try, so they get more art done than those that really try, therefore they have a more productive, lower quality of art. And generally, they're more open do drawing whatever someone wants.

That seem like a good thing?
User Image

You make me sick...

♥ It would be nice to see all kind of artists try more :l

It's either because the good artists want something to look at that's worse than their art so they feel good about their own one.

wink
Raidation
It's either because the good artists want something to look at that's worse than their art so they feel good about their own one.

wink
User Image

You make me sick...

Ahaha XDD
Awesome theory.♥

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers