Welcome to Gaia! ::

Selling at Cons is best during the...

Spring 0.11470588235294 11.5% [ 117 ]
Summer 0.29411764705882 29.4% [ 300 ]
Fall 0.07156862745098 7.2% [ 73 ]
Winter 0.054901960784314 5.5% [ 56 ]
Any time! 0.46470588235294 46.5% [ 474 ]
Total Votes:[ 1020 ]

Anime Detour is roughly "midsized," being in the range of a few thousand people attending. (In Detour's case, I believe it was 3500 this year, as they're still capped.) Most other well-known cons will be that range (ie Anime Iowa, Ohayocon, etc).

There's also smaller ones, like NoBrandCon, and I think Anime Nebraskon still fits here too, that are around to under 1000 attendees or so. I actually really enjoy those ones, they're a different feel from midsized.

There's large ones (for the midwest, that's Anime Central) with 10-20,000 attendees, which are a different feel as well. And then there's the ones in a class all by themselves, like AX. smile
Quick question, how do most anime conventions (around a few thousand in attendees) assign their tables?

I'm a little peeved that my local convention, Kawaii-Kon has about 5000 attendees but still assign tables by pre-reg on the last day, leaving a meager 10 tables at most left for general sales for those who didn't have tables in the last convention. Wondering if this is just something I have to deal with all around and suck it up or send a suggestion for a better system. x_x
Of the ones I hit, most of them announce AA reg opening up on their forums or via email list at some point during the prereg period for badges... I haven't been to one that sells tables for next year during the current year's con.
if its to ask about rules and regulations its best to check out each con's forums because all are different, constantly changing every year and hell up untill the last min the con can change on you so keep on your toes

Cheery Sweetheart

A few days ago, I was going through the business cards people gave me at cons in the past year, and I came across an unusual one.

I think I got this one when I saw a woman with an interesting hat (or something), so I told her I liked it and asked where she got it, and she said she made it. She told me I could order a piece from her website and gave me her business card.

The problem with the business card (at least I see it as a problem), was the title under the name. It isn't "crafter" or "accessory designer" or something close to what she does. It says "Steampunk Pirate Captain".

I was wondering what you guys thought of this. Keep in mind that she wasn't in the Artist Alley (at least not at this con), and since I never went to her website, I don't know if it was mostly crafts for sale or something else (if it was mostly, say, an RP website in which she played a steampunk pirate captain, it would be fairly appropriate).

But say there was an artist making new business cards to hand out in Artist Alleys, and considering putting something like "Mad Scientist" or "Knight in Shining Armor" or some other phrase like that as their job title? Would you say they should or advise against it?

On one hand, in the world of artist alley artists there are no formal job titles the way there are in more structured jobs. If a banker or lawyer called themselves a "pirate captain" on their business cards, they'd probably be fired, but we more or less don't have bosses, at least not in this sector of our lives. Some people could really want to use that freedom to whatever extent they can imagine and call themselves the role they would have in a fantasy/SF world, and the fact that it's an option is honestly part of the beauty of the job. Plus there would be a demographic of people at any convention who would see this as an awesome, creative thing to do, and be tons more likely to buy from the artist for it.

On the other hand, is it really the most professional thing to do? Sure we have that freedom, but one of the reasons lawyers and bankers and such have job titles given to them by their firm, company, etc. is because those titles let the clients know what they do. A title like that has nothing to do with drawing, or making comics, or handmade crafts, etc. so it probably won't help the customer's mind associate the product with the artist, unless it has a picture drawn by the artist (or a photo of an example of the type of crafts they do), which it should, but even then...

Maybe this is just me, but I find it kind of silly. It makes me feel like the person thinks on some level that they are in that world. Even though there are conventions and such that emulate those types of worlds, a business card should be able to stand outside of that and still be an accurate representation of what you do. I feel like putting something you're clearly not, on your business card doesn't show you to be the type of professional most people want to deal with.

*did not intend for that be to so long* Sorry.

tl:dr; Fantasy business card titles, good idea/bad idea?

PS: No offense to the Steampunk Pirate Capitan who I got the business card from, if you read this, I'm sorry I used you as a jumping-off point to a more hypothetical situation. Please forgive me. sweatdrop
Quote:
Quick question, how do most anime conventions (around a few thousand in attendees) assign their tables?

I'm a little peeved that my local convention, Kawaii-Kon has about 5000 attendees but still assign tables by pre-reg on the last day, leaving a meager 10 tables at most left for general sales for those who didn't have tables in the last convention. Wondering if this is just something I have to deal with all around and suck it up or send a suggestion for a better system. x_x

This is how Georgia's Momo-con has been working up until this year, they had sent out an email saying that next year will be a first come first serve basis because so many people (me included!) had been asking after tables.

Doesn't hurt to ask right?
@Fiammetta Rey

in my opinion I always find cards that do that kinda stupid so I throw them away unless the art was really cool. Its not so much that I find it unprofessional I just find it weird that you decided to print this up and confuse others by the 'weird title'. why waist your time doing that? just say artist or crafter or comiker or what ever describe what you actually do. Not what LARP character you are.

Shadowy Phantom

Fiammetta Rey: I think it's basically a waste of a business card. If I'm looking for an illustrator, I'll look through my collection for cards that say "Illustrator." If I need a cosplay item made, I'll look for cards that say "Crafter" or "Costumes" or something like that.
When I'm looking for something specific, her card would never show up as a viable option for me. The best she'll get from me is a site visit during those rare times that I go through my business cards for fun. And even then, unless it says "Illustrator" or something similar, I don't usually bother since when I look through my BCs for fun, it's to see pretty art.
Fiammetta - For an artist's card, it's pretty stupid. Even putting something like "Illustrator, craftmaker, and Sky Pirate" is kind of iffy if you're trying to use the cards professionally. On the other hand, there are cosplayers that are best known for their work within a particular genre, like VladislausDantes on dA. In situations like that, it's probably best to have two business card designs, one that you can be silly and imaginative with and one that you truly use professionally.

Dapper Dabbler

8,250 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Signature Look 250
  • Full closet 200
I've been running in circles trying to decide on a business card design.

I've recently talked myself into getting plain black cards with a big empty space next to my info so I can doodle all of over it. My constant hatred of my art three weeks later, averted! Custom doodles for random passer-by also (I did that a lot last year except with horrid flimsy unprofessional looking paper)

Dunno if I should go through with it though. @_@ Does it look unprofessional to doodle all over one's business cards?

Shadowy Phantom

Yes it does. If the art is really, really awesome (think those awesome ATC artists on dA xP), then it is forgiven, but if you can't do that on every card, get a printed design.

If you lack confidence in your art to the point where you can't pick a piece to represent you, then it may be too early for you to be trying to look professional anyway. Just hold off on getting BCs for now :/
Or get ones that have a nice little border and a light background, so that they still look finished and you can hand them out, but you can also doodle on them if you want ;D

Enduring Elder

14,675 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Megathread 100
Kaxen
I've been running in circles trying to decide on a business card design.

I've recently talked myself into getting plain black cards with a big empty space next to my info so I can doodle all of over it. My constant hatred of my art three weeks later, averted! Custom doodles for random passer-by also (I did that a lot last year except with horrid flimsy unprofessional looking paper)

Dunno if I should go through with it though. @_@ Does it look unprofessional to doodle all over one's business cards?

The best thing to do is to put a logo on it and your contact information. Anything else will get in the way. Also, don't use perforated business cards. It's best to get yourself some quality stock.
you could also print 100 of them at a time

Distinct Prophet

Does anyone have any experience or knowledge of sealing/varnishing/whatevering origami?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff