Spring 0.11470588235294 11.5% [ 117 ]
Summer 0.29411764705882 29.4% [ 300 ]
Fall 0.07156862745098 7.2% [ 73 ]
Winter 0.054901960784314 5.5% [ 56 ]
Any time! 0.46470588235294 46.5% [ 474 ]
Total Votes:[ 1020 ]
< 1 2 3 4 5 6 3 4 5 6 7 ... 298 299 300 > >> >>> »|

[Kako]
I've added another question, though this one is optional: What skill level would you suggest entering the Alley at? Can you give some examples?

Hum, that's a good one.

I think another thing youhave to take into consideration is also the originallity of the works. If one does the usual prints and bookmarks and stuff, competition is surely fiercer as there are soo many amazing artists out there selling that.
If you can come up with something original and unique, someone with perhaps less skill but more ideas may just stand a chance! ^-^
Buttons with clever quotes always sell out fast (+_+)
True, but even the most original work won't sell if it's drawn like... well, I would link you to some examples but I don't want to offend anybody. Do you remember those really stereotypical Anime-style drawings that fourth-graders make about pokemon? I saw somebody posting on a con website about getting an AA table this year, with examples about like that. I'd like to give a warning about that, so people don't get crushed after spending all of that money.

EDIT: As a side note, I don't have anything better to do tonight so I'm making a quick little website for the guide, that way people outside of Gaia can use it. None of the links work yet, but you can find the in-progress page here:
[Kako]
I've added another question, though this one is optional: What skill level would you suggest entering the Alley at? Can you give some examples?
depends on how money desperate you are.
If you are going to a local convension with low tabling fee and low admission charge, then you can go try regardless of your skill, and at least have fun and meet other artists.

If money is a big concern, then you better either be at pro level, or pretty good with chibi fan art.

When it comes to make money, it doesn't rely on skill alone. Some times having a distinct style helps, but sometimes having a generic popular anime style helps too. Sometimes being original sells, sometimes fan art sells. There are people with similar or even a little less skilled than me, but they manage to sell more than me because they either have more fan art in their showcase, or they have more appealing style to the public.

Can't say what level to suggest. But if it helps, here's my con stats: I've been to 5 cons so far, and only made money in one of them, losing money in the rest (around $100 to $200). Those include con cost, table cost, transportation cost, and hotel cost. Most of my money lost was due to high air line price. So if you aren't sure how well you'd sell, go to a nearby con.

400 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
PART A
1. In the past, tables were available about 4 months ahead, but last year they didn't take care of that until a month and a half before the con. neutral
2. $40, though I've seen it cost a little less ($25) and a bit more ($55) at other cons.
3. Depends. They usually go within a week.
4. Hrm...probably the fact that someone might want to trade spots with you.
5. None that I can say!
OPTIONAL: I would say you should be at least an intermediate so people will notice and stop to look at your work.

PART B
1. Prints and commissions are a staple, but stuff like stickers and buttons do pretty well as they're often inexpensive.
2. As it's been said, nothing that's over $20.
3. Based on my experiences, stickers, especially chibi ones. Often cute little things like that sell best.
4. I did mine at Office Max, but I hear Staples is awesome as well.
5. Make sure you have plenty of paper and ink and your printer's working properly!
6. Well; it'd probably be best to have it done about a week in advance, but I've had it done the night before the con... sweatdrop
7. Just have confidence in your products and works! ^^

PART C
1. If you've already paid, you don't need to worry, but try to be there before noon so you can get some business going!

2. Be sure to have your prints out where people can see them; display some of your personal favourites if you'd like. Also, having your merchandise displayed neatly for all to see is a good idea.

3. I usually just humour them or focus really hard on a commission that I completely blow them off. They'll leave if you ignore them, usually...

4. First off, make sure you've got some snacks and drinks--sometimes you may be there for a while! And make sure you have enough money for change in case people pay with a $20!

5. Be sure you interact with everyone that stops by! A simple "Hi!" will do, but you can also let them know about your merchandise such as the price and such. People are more inclined to buy if you interact with 'em!

I hope that helps!

~Shadi

I wouldn't really call myself a veteran, but I have done a couple of Artist Alleys ^^

Part A- Getting the table:
1. How many months in advance do conventions usually release tables, in your experience? I think it really depends on the con... I usually only go to Anime Detour and Otakon. Anime Detour is pretty open about reservations and you can pretty much reserve a table after the con from the previous year as far as I know. Otakon on the other hand, opens their registration for the AA about 4 or 5 months in advance so you have to kinda watch the site.
2. How much does a table usually cost? Again, it depends. Anime Detour is tiny so the tables are about $20. Otakon seems to have gotten a bit out of control and was $60 last year...
3. How quickly are the tables reserved? Otakon fills up pretty quickly. I'm not as sure about Anime Detour... Although they filled up a lot quicker this year than they did last year...
4. What complications should one be prepared for? *can't think of any off hand*
5. Anything else?

Part B- Preparing to sell:
1. What sort of merchandise would you advise selling? Prints, stickers, and buttons are always hot items. Commisions are also popular. And I find that if you specialize in something other than drawing, you tend to get some extra attention ^^ The last time I sold stuff I sold a lot more of my duct tape creations and bells than stickers or commisions.
2. What sort of merchandise would you advise against selling? I guess reselling old anime paraphinalia doesn't usually go over so well... Plus it fringes on copywrite things.... I've seen people do it, usually if it's only a small collection and you sell more original artsy things no one makes a fuss, but I don't think anyone sold much.
3. What sort of stuff sells best?
4. Where would you suggest going to get things printed? Thats more something you'll have to look up in your neighborhood ^^;
5. If printing at home, what preparations should one make?
6. How far in advance should one have one's merchandise finished? I suppose it'd be a good idea to have it done a month in advance... but I have to admit that every con I've been to I've participated in a Thursday night finish-the-last-touches-on-your-merchandise/costume get together ^^; Plus, I always save something to work on while I sit at the table (another collar or a necklace usually). It gives me something to do and it kind of draws people to look at what I'm doing.
7. Anything else?

Part C- At the Con:
1. How early should one arrive to be sure of reserving a good table? I usually get there as soon as they open the doors.
2. When setting up one's table, what sort of layout would you suggest?Umm... one that makes sense? When I had a table to myself, I arranged my stuff in a way that grouped together different types of merchandise. (fabricated things, beaded stuff, prints stickers and sample art for commisions).
3. There are some pretty bratty congoers out there. How would you suggest dealing with assholes? I can't say I had to deal any really bratty people... Although if I had to, I'd most likely just tell them to get lost.
4. Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong. What issues should one be prepared for when running a table at the Artists alley? Snacks and drinks are a great idea since con food can be really expensive x___x Also, it's a great idea to have a helper who is willing to be there with you most of the day. That way if something goes wrong and you need to leave the table for some reason (need more change, need to print more of something, or forgot something back at the hotel) you or your partner can leave and take care of the problem and there's still someone to tend the table.
5. Anything else? Make sure you bring change beforehand. *forgot last year so we kept sending different helpers to the concession stand to break our larger bills* Also, bring a camera ^^ I didn't get around much since I spent most of my time at the table, and I wanted to get lots of pictures of cosplayers. As it turns out, your table is a great place to take picutes of peopls ^^ A lot of cosplayers will come by throughout the day~

Thank you!
Thank you all *_* It's really useful to get different people imput on these matters! smile
I'm just sorry i do not have much to contribute >_<
yumegari
Thank you all *_* It's really useful to get different people imput on these matters! smile
I'm just sorry i do not have much to contribute >_<

Don't worry about it. biggrin Based off of this and what you find when you do it yourself, you can contribute more and make it more helpful.
Any home-printing tutorials would be nice as well, if anyone finds the time!
[Kako]
What do you mean by that? It's pretty much a click of the "print" button.

Though if you are asking for what's a good brand printer, I'd say Epson. It's better than HP or Cannon when it comes to stay true to the color on your computer screen. And more ink effecient.

Also, all printers tend to print things a bit darker than it appear on screen. I usually adjust my image a tad brighter, then print one copy, see if it's what I want before I print it in mass.
Look
[Kako]
What do you mean by that? It's pretty much a click of the "print" button.

Though if you are asking for what's a good brand printer, I'd say Epson. It's better than HP or Cannon when it comes to stay true to the color on your computer screen. And more ink effecient.

Also, all printers tend to print things a bit darker than it appear on screen. I usually adjust my image a tad brighter, then print one copy, see if it's what I want before I print it in mass.

It isn't always. There's getting the right paper, aligning it correctly, ect. I used to have a really crappy home printer, so maybe I'm just paranoid.
[Kako]
It isn't always. There's getting the right paper, aligning it correctly, ect. I used to have a really crappy home printer, so maybe I'm just paranoid.

I guess you are asking for printing tips rather than tutorials. Tutorial gives me the impression that the person doesn't know how to set up the printer and print it from computer.

I don't know about aligning the paper, since the ones I've used all have placement holder that will keep the paper straight. Though I hear you on choosing the right paper. Epson's glossy photo paper tend to look brighter with the color, but takes up more ink compare to their matte photo paper. And it's best to use the same brand photo paper as your printers. I've tried printing on National Geographic's high glossy photo paper through my Epson, it's a disaster. The print would peel off because it's too glossy, on top of that it takes up twice as much ink as Epson's glossy paper.

Another thing to take into consideration is the bleed margin if you are to print borderless. Things near the edge of the picture will be cut off when printed borderless. The bleed margin will vary, I think it's usually somewhere between 1/8 in to 1/4 inch, need to double check on that.

Sutefi's Husband

Noob

6,775 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Brandisher 100
This is such a useful thread. *_*

xD I'm going to be doing Artist Alley at Anime Expo too this year for the first time and it's been really helpful!

I've always done the glossy print thing, but matte sounds much better now! Especially since I found that if I accidently spit on the photopaper and wipe it off.. the ink comes off.. Dx I'm guessing this happens with all prints? Is laminating the work recommended and cost efficient? And where could you get it done if you don't have the machine?

I'm guessing I can't do prints at home though, I have a crappy HP inkjet, so the print quality is very streaky. My friend suggested Costco to me, has anyone ever had anything printed from Costco? Is it cheap and is the quality good? I don't really want to go to Staples or Office Max or Office Depot.

I've also heard of:
http://www.paper-forest.com/index.html
The prices seems reasonable, but I'm also checking out the sites that Look suggested. =)

Is it wise to have large and small prints of the same image? Or would that just force people to buy the larger or smaller depending on preference or price?

I plan on selling the 8x10 and 4x6 postcard size. And bookmarks, are smaller or larger ones preferred? I find that I like smaller bookmarks that don't stick out of books, but that might just be me. What about tassles, would people be interested in tassled bookmarks? xD

Eee! And one more thing, how well do people take to... "Write your name, address, email address, if you have a paypal account, number, and description of the commission on this clipboard if you want to order a commission." That way.. you can accept commissions, but do them after the con, but the people will have paid first? And refunds can always be given through paypal, etc. O_O; And then the artwork will be mailed after it's finished?

And one more thing, do a lot of people sign up for Gaia commissions if those are offered as well? XD

I have too many questions, sorry. Dx I just want to fill in some holes with questions that might be useful to everyone. xD
DarkishStar
This is such a useful thread. *_*

xD I'm going to be doing Artist Alley at Anime Expo too this year for the first time and it's been really helpful!

I've always done the glossy print thing, but matte sounds much better now! Especially since I found that if I accidently spit on the photopaper and wipe it off.. the ink comes off.. Dx I'm guessing this happens with all prints? Is laminating the work recommended and cost efficient? And where could you get it done if you don't have the machine?

I'm guessing I can't do prints at home though, I have a crappy HP inkjet, so the print quality is very streaky. My friend suggested Costco to me, has anyone ever had anything printed from Costco? Is it cheap and is the quality good? I don't really want to go to Staples or Office Max or Office Depot.

I've also heard of:
http://www.paper-forest.com/index.html
The prices seems reasonable, but I'm also checking out the sites that Look suggested. =)

Is it wise to have large and small prints of the same image? Or would that just force people to buy the larger or smaller depending on preference or price?

I plan on selling the 8x10 and 4x6 postcard size. And bookmarks, are smaller or larger ones preferred? I find that I like smaller bookmarks that don't stick out of books, but that might just be me. What about tassles, would people be interested in tassled bookmarks? xD

Eee! And one more thing, how well do people take to... "Write your name, address, email address, if you have a paypal account, number, and description of the commission on this clipboard if you want to order a commission." That way.. you can accept commissions, but do them after the con, but the people will have paid first? And refunds can always be given through paypal, etc. O_O; And then the artwork will be mailed after it's finished?

And one more thing, do a lot of people sign up for Gaia commissions if those are offered as well? XD

I have too many questions, sorry. Dx I just want to fill in some holes with questions that might be useful to everyone. xD

Good questions ^__^ I also am curious about the print size business O_o

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces