Any time! 0.46470588235294 46.5% [ 474 ]
Total Votes:[ 1020 ]
<< < 1 2 ... 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 ... 298 299 300 > >> >>> »|

Dapper Dabbler

8,250 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Signature Look 250
  • Full closet 200
For me, a cosplayer grabs my attention. I did buy from someone cosplaying Toph the year before last before last because it was like "Oh! She's probably selling Avatar stuff!"

Though yeah, it would be a little weird to see a panelist wearing cosplay, but I don't think it seems that weird in Artist Alley.

400 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
Kaxen
>_> If I was selling like a 20-page-ish comic, would it be better to sell a short story or a first chapter of a longer story? >_> Man, I need to stop drawing so many comics simultaneously...

Or more selling dark and gloomy (the short story) or dragons vs. airplanes... (the long story)

Though I am trying to pigeon-hole my dragons vs. airplanes idea into my project for my animation class so I might have a trailer for that. Do animated trailers for non-animated stuff attract people?

Based on my own experiences, short, stand-alone type stories seem to sell better. I usually include my personal page and my devArt in case they decide that they want to look into more of my work.

Though, dragons vs. airplanes does sound awesome... xd As for animated trailers, I don't really have an answer as to how well that would work, since I've not really seen anyone try it to give you my two cents. sad
Kaxen - I'd say a short, stand-alone comic. That's what I'm planning to do. ^^; If you want to do a longer series, you'll want to build up a fan-base dedicated to the story before you start selling it in print. Maybe as a webcomic? Otherwise you might be looking at a net loss by selling it. ^^;

Starre - Wow, that's... really stupid. The person who said that is incredibly immature. "BAWWWWW! The person who is taking time out of their convention schedule to put on this free performance/make pretty art available to me is simultaneously enjoying the convention!"

I personally question the wisdom of some cosplays in the AA, simply because it can be very uncomfortable to sit around doing nothing in some costumes. But if the cosplay is comfortable, there's no reason not to cosplay. Go for it.

Dapper Dabbler

8,250 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Signature Look 250
  • Full closet 200
[Kako]
Kaxen - I'd say a short, stand-alone comic. That's what I'm planning to do. ^^; If you want to do a longer series, you'll want to build up a fan-base dedicated to the story before you start selling it in print. Maybe as a webcomic? Otherwise you might be looking at a net loss by selling it. ^^;

That's true. Well, my longer story kind of starts in media res and I've been trying to write a standalone story in the universe. (can't say there is much plot besides "we hate those guys there, KILL DEY a**!" for the majority of the entire story...)

Well, I guess what I was trying to ask, is it any good to sell a story that has potential follow-up?

Because like, my short stories, I'm probably never touching them again after I'm done usually (seeing as I spend the majority of my time on short stories shouting at myself "NOT GOING TO EXPAND THIS INTO EPIC SIZE LIKE I ALWAYS DO" ) so if anyone does want to see more adventures of Character-Such-And-Such never will.

I'm totally overthinking this puppy, aren't I? >_>

Quote:
I personally question the wisdom of some cosplays in the AA, simply because it can be very uncomfortable to sit around doing nothing in some costumes. But if the cosplay is comfortable, there's no reason not to cosplay. Go for it.

Well, it's more comfortable to sit in a costume than to walk a whole day in one. xD *never picks characters who wear thin clothes and only goes to summer conventions*
For anyone who needs a place to get buttons

i found this place online and it looks like a good place to get buttons done. You can upload your art for free and their prices are pretty low

Wacky Buttons
Kaxen
Kako

That's true. Well, my longer story kind of starts in media res and I've been trying to write a standalone story in the universe. (can't say there is much plot besides "we hate those guys there, KILL DEY a**!" for the majority of the entire story...)

Well, I guess what I was trying to ask, is it any good to sell a story that has potential follow-up?

Because like, my short stories, I'm probably never touching them again after I'm done usually (seeing as I spend the majority of my time on short stories shouting at myself "NOT GOING TO EXPAND THIS INTO EPIC SIZE LIKE I ALWAYS DO" ) so if anyone does want to see more adventures of Character-Such-And-Such never will.

I'm totally overthinking this puppy, aren't I? >_>

I don't think there's anything wrong with selling a story with a potential follow-up. smile Two things you have to keep in mind, though. The first part of the story must be able to stand alone. Someone who buys the comic at a con one year might not show up the next year, and you don't want them to get any less enjoyment from the comic just because they're not able to get the follow-up. Also, always make sure the first part of the story is available when you're selling the second part. ^^; People who bought the story at a previous convention might not make the connection between the first and the second without seeing them together, and if the second catches someone's interest who hasn't read it then they'll likely buy both.

Quote:
Quote:

Well, it's more comfortable to sit in a costume than to walk a whole day in one. xD *never picks characters who wear thin clothes and only goes to summer conventions*

In some cases, yes, it is more comfortable to sit than walk around. In others, for instance anything involving miniskirts, walking is DEFINITELY preferable to sitting.

Cheery Sweetheart

... my costume will involve a miniskirt... but having a tablecloth solves that issue. I hope.
Starre257
... my costume will involve a miniskirt... but having a tablecloth solves that issue. I hope.

That's what I'm hoping, as well. I'm doing a sexy-juutsu cosplay. >.<

@Kaxen: If you make the trailer in such a way that people realize it's a comic book you're talking about, and not an animated short, I think that'd be neat. Also, I really love to buy chapters of stories. Issues, like. I love having a bunch of books for the same series.

@Starre: Wtf? I think that cosplay is certainly an ice breaker type thing. I think that is someone is so turned off by the idea of a table-er or a panelist cosplaying, they might be in the wrong place.

Also, I've got a question for people. How reliant should I be on prints? I've done one alley before, at Kakkoi|Con, and I didn't sell a single print. I did, however, sell buttons, bookmarks, duct-tape things and buttons. Should I put more effort/finances into the smaller things? Prints are expensive...

8,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Brandisher 100
I sold a pretty decent number of prints. I really think it depends on the art, though.

Cheery Sweetheart

Yeah... I genrally only buy prints if it's really good art. If it's just a chibi or something, I'll buy a bookmark/sticker/magnet/etc.

If it's totally irresistable art (for whatever reason, cute, beautiful, funny, etc.) and they're only selling a print, I may buy it.

Or if it's fanart of a series I've very rarely seen anything of, fanmade or official. Like the Chrono Crusade picture I bought once (which was still really good, but I wouldn't have bought it if it had been fanart of a different series). I think that's pretty much the only fanart I buy at all, though, since, other than Code Geass and Haruhi Suzumiya, all the anime I like falls into that category.
Kaxen> I have the opposite experience of the other reply... my stand-alone story rarely sells (though I may respond differently after I do another one), but I can usually sell a decent number of copies of Chapters 1-3 of my comic (more of 1 than the other two, of course, but all three do go). And I don't think pricing has anything to do with it, since the stand-alone is $3 and Chapter 1 is $4 (and all three are $10.50 together). So... I think it's a strong case of "your mileage may vary." smile

Regarding Cosplay: I often find that cosplaying can both attract and distract... I do occasionally cosplay behind my table (not often, my costuming tends to be on the "oh my God are you insane to attempt that?" level of complexity for both design and getting into/out of lately), and while it does provide a bit of an "ice breaker," it also often brings people up who just want a picture of you and to block off the table for a moment (never intentionally). But I see nothing wrong with doing it, plenty of people behind tables cosplay.

muffin babie> Kakkoi|Con was kind of an oddball con... The attendees coming through the AA (and in general) were overall somewhat different from those I see at a typical convention. I wouldn't rule out prints entirely just yet (thing that normally sell GREAT for me didn't move, and I did much lower business than usual in their AA). Give them another shot. Plus, you've only done the one AA so far, iirc, so it's hard to judge from just one convention. (The first con I took my charms to, they didn't move at all initially. I changed the pricing, and they moved slowly after that... but they sell like CRAZY at every con since, so sometimes there are other factors involved beyond the merchandise itself.)

Cheery Sweetheart

I just realized I haven't even touched my resin in over a month. This is the resin I'm supposed to be making the jewelry I'm going to sell out of.

I should get on that. I'll make some tonight.

Unrelated, but important:
Should I try to get a table at Otakon? Or is it too big for an AA newbie? (If I do try to get one there, it might be my first, since I still haven't heard from Anime Next, and I registered for anime next a month or so after they released the information, so I'll probably be waitlisted.)
I have looked around and it seems that most people in Artist Alleys sell art. I was wondering if other things sell as well, stuff on the craft side?
And what kind of craft things sell the best?
Hi people I haven't been to this thread for like a year O.o
Now that I've done about 5-6 artist alleys I'mma filling out the survey whee heart

Part A- Getting the table:
1. How many months in advance do conventions usually release tables, in your experience?

It really depends some opened 10 months in advanced while others 3-6 months. You just have to make a daily habit of visiting the websites of cons that you want to attend every day to be sure.
2. How much does a table usually cost?
$50-80 US and seems to be increasing by the year.
3. How quickly are the tables reserved?
The good ones are filled in about 1day-1 week smaller cons take a few months. either way you gotta be quick.
4. What complications should one be prepared for?
Tables opening unexpectedly and filling fast. As long as you visit the site once a day you should be ok also be ready for new funky rules to pop just as the tables opening, giving you almost no chance to read before submitting your application. D:
5. Anything else?
Optional: What skill level would you suggest entering the AA at? If possible, please provide examples.
Before you join the artist alley I would suggest you submit some art to a conventions artshow and see how well it is received. Also join art websites and see if you get some comments/favorites this will show you how others view your artwork.
For artist alley, you really have to be objective think to yourself would anyone REALLY pay money for this? would I pay money for this? If your not sure if you can sell anything its best to not waste your money and time getting a table. Or you can try sharing a table with friends so that any possible loss is less.

Part B- Preparing to sell:
1. What sort of merchandise would you advise selling?
small cheap items like mini prints, stickers, buttons etc.
2. What sort of merchandise would you advise against selling?
Anything you have to charge more then 20.00 is extremely hard to sell. Also books and large prints don't seem to move veryvery fast but it depends on how well people know you and how good the item looks.
3. What sort of stuff sells best?
small cheap stuff
4. Where would you suggest going to get things printed?
I have no idea as I print at home xD
5. If printing at home, what preparations should one make?
Have lots of ink on standby, make sure your printer is clean and aligned before printing and inspect the paper for any problems before you load it up.
Stop and check it during the printing epically if you are using expensive photo paper.
Give yourself allllllot of time to get this done do not print on the day before you leave it'll be way too stressful for you.
Spot check your printouts for problems before you leave for the con and keep your prints in a nice folder or box where they wont get all messed up or water damaged.
6. How far in advance should one have one's merchandise finished?
The earlier the better. If you can have everything ready a week before, your good! Save at least 3 days before for packing and relaxing make it more then 3 days if your also dealing with a full time job, school work and or cosplays.
7. Anything else?
when preparing things If you take some time to organize and make an itemized list of what you have, how much of everything you have you'll be better off later. plus if you pull out things in an organized way you'll be less stress and look more professional.
People want to buy orginal art as well as fanart. Use fanart to bring them to your table and use orginal art to keep them looking. Don't be sad if you don't get many sales at first people tend to buy more from you the more conventions they see you at.

Part C- At the Con:
1. How early should one arrive to be sure of reserving a good table?
ummm 99% of con's these days have no extra tables for sale at the convention and also pre-assign your table before you get there. It's best to arrive like 1-2 hours before opening though to make sure you can get through registration and if your lucky to get there before most the other artists and have a problem with your table area you can request them to move you. If there isn't many people there yet they normally are more then happy to let you move where you like smile but if your last in you dont get a choice at all.
2. When setting up one's table, what sort of layout would you suggest?
If your taking commissions you need to have a table layout that shows you clearly and make the commission sign the biggest thing people can see. If your mostly there to sell merch then go for a tiered shelf system to show it off neatly. I would avoid the throw everything on a cluttered table route unless you really don't have alot to sell as it looks messy and unappealing quickly AND when its just layed around people like to touch everything and it makes it easy for people to just pick it up and walk away (5 finger discount)
3. There are some pretty bratty congoers out there. How would you suggest dealing with assholes?
I've personally gotten alot of moody or clingy or strange people. There's some jerks who will loudly say your stuff is stupid as if you can't hear them 2 feet away or people who talk to you to death about their pet dog or people who you are having a nice talk with but suddenly somehow you insulted them xD for all these people just remember to keep your cool and let it go. You cannot please everyone, someone will always dislike you and it's not the end of the world cause there's a lot of people who WILL like you and your stuff so never mind take the higher road and also remember that you do not HAVE to sell anything to anyone. For people who are talking to themselves about how stupid my stuff is I just never greet them and don't sell them anything even if they ask.
4. Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong. What issues should one be prepared for when running a table at the Artists alley?
Be prepared for the unexpected?? LOL
get an idea of what you want your display to look like and pratice it before the con.
print and bring proof of payment etc for your alley table, registration and hotel incase someone doesn't have you on the list somehow.
Pack a lunch and drink before you leave because you might not be able to get away and hungry will effect your mood and moody people don't make as many sales xD
also make sure you've read all the conventions rules and requirements, some conventions require a tax ID and such, so make sure you have it before you arrive or they might have to turn you away.
5. Anything else?
1-common sense, its your freind.
2-make friends with your alley neighboors not enemys and don't act stuck up alot of people will walk away and never want to see your stuff again if you treat them like something you stepped in. Customer Service is important not matter where you are because your selling something you need to act accordingly.
3-Do not buy a table just to have a socialization area or to show up for an hour a day and abondon it for the rest of the time. it irrrates other artits and is really disrescpectful to those who COULDNT get a table that you got one and refuse to use it. It also makes the alley look empty and boring which gives customers the impression this place inst so great and they leave as fast as they came.
4-never leave the cash box unattended and in spot easy to grab xD There was a person who's table was next to ours and left her hugh, stacked with dollars, cash box right at the edge of the table. it would have been extreamly easily for us to just lean over and make a buck. I've never do that so I mentioned it to her after some time BUT someone else might have so be careful.
5-never put merch on the side of your table UNLESS you are on the end with no one next to you. seriously this a hugh way to piss off your artist alley neighboor and try to control the crowd of people looking at your table if they start to clog your neighboors area try to ask them to move one side to keep in your neighboors good graces.
for people who sell buttons, how much do you usually charge?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff