Welcome to Gaia! ::

When I think of photography I think of nature, models, sunsets, etc.
I don't think of self-portraits as photography.
Everyday, I'm noticing more and more myspace-angel/pose pictures of girls submitted in the photography arena... and it's starting to get annoying.
When I click the photography section, I want to see beautiful pictures of sunsets, flowers, buildings, etc... not girls trying to get attention.

So gaia, I want to get your opinion on this, how do you feel about self portraits in the photography section?

ayounghare's Honey Bun

King Cutie-Pie

Self-portraits should not be in the arena. There is really nothing artistic about them at all. If people want to show off pictures of themselves, they can do it elsewhere. Now, if another human is used as a model, that's a different story.
Foxgirl_Chrys
Self-portraits should not be in the arena. There is really nothing artistic about them at all. If people want to show off pictures of themselves, they can do it elsewhere. Now, if another human is used as a model, that's a different story.

I totally agree on this, I hate to see gaia turn into myspace.

ayounghare's Honey Bun

King Cutie-Pie

Wunie-la
Foxgirl_Chrys

I totally agree on this, I hate to see gaia turn into myspace.
We're coming close.

6,700 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Forum Regular 100
I agree, but i could make an exception for self-portraits if they have photoshop elements added...and i don't mean making them look like airbrushed models
rosenrosen612
I agree, but i could make an exception for self-portraits if they have photoshop elements added...and i don't mean making them look like airbrushed models

Yeah, I think that's acceptable. Not plain old, "Hey, look at me" pictures, but stuff that's been messed with and actually required some work. Like the one I did of myself a while back where I photoshopped it to make me look like a ghost or something xD that was fun. I never posted it. I might if I get bored enough. It looks kinda creepy xD
But look at it from a difrent way... If a photograpter wants to show what he is thinking of, he could use a model or... himselfe... im doing self poirtrets to show what im feeling and thinking... so if want to share that fotos with others i cant put that into the arena?
Poprostu Nikt
But look at it from a difrent way... If a photograpter wants to show what he is thinking of, he could use a model or... himselfe... im doing self poirtrets to show what im feeling and thinking... so if want to share that fotos with others i cant put that into the arena?

I'm not talking about models. I'm talking about the girls who take pictures of themself in weird angles and something that would obviously be found on myspace just to impress guys/girls. It's annoying, shoes they are concieted, and it's not art.
I, personally, think it depends on the type of self-portrait we are talking about here.

In response to those annoying myspace angles, I get very annoyed. I don't think going in the bathroom and taking a picture of yourself is artistic in the least. If it was some half-assed "fat girl" angle shot it should not be posted.
My number one rule for self-portraits is this: If it looks like something that belongs on myspace, it belongs on myspace. Your friends will gladly tell you how "hawt" you are.

Having said that, I have no problem with artistic self-portraits, and I have seen some in the arena ((albeit few and far in between)). I myself have taken a few self portraits ((admittedly, one is posted)). I try to be artistic in the portraits I take of myself, I really do. It is not for "attention whoring" and my intention is not for people to call me "pretty" when they see them. I, as well as many other amateur photographers, do not have the luxury of having an abundance of models at my disposal. Most of my friends and family members whine when I ask to take their picture for personal ((not professional)) reasons, let alone if I ask them to have a formal photo shoot.
But I digress.

Sorry for the wall of text...>_<
in my opinion i don't consider self portraits as photography, especially myspace pictures!
but if it sends out a message, than it's acceptable. or if the person is not considered the main focus or stronger focus of the picture.

if you check out some of annie leibovitz photography. then you can kinda understand my point.

5,100 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Wall Street 200
Many artists throughout history have used the self-portrait as a mode of self-expression, photography included. After all, the best model is yourself.
I do agree that snapshots are inappropriate for posting the art arena. Anything that can be described as the "angles" is not something I would want to see described as art.
On the other hand, many of the sunsets, flowers, landscapes are also snapshots. Mediocre at best, amateur and kitschy in any case. In my opinion these are just as bad as the myspace self-portrait snapshots.
im not really into this kind of art since i do mostly abstract but i figure its still the same...art is anything from music to paintings but i agree that pics of ppl should be no where near the art catorgory

3,200 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Hygienic 200
  • First step to fame 200
I feel as though people who post pictures of themselves feel as though they need people they don't even know to tell them they are hot so that they can feel better about themselves. I feel as though you can model in a photograph as long as it is actually expressive photography instead of a look at me I'm so hot shot. All of this takes attention away from the true photographers on gaia who have the great photos yet don't have the subjects that happy little vanity whores want to see.
i have seen plenty artistic self portrait without photoshop. check out lucas samaras he does some self portrait photography.

myspace sp in my opinion are just photo so you can tell that's your friend.
btw my sig is self portrait.
beauty_of_masquerade
i have seen plenty artistic self portrait without photoshop. check out lucas samaras he does some self portrait photography.

myspace sp in my opinion are just photo so you can tell that's your friend.
btw my sig is self portrait.

Well that is a fantastic photograph darling and I would most defiantly consider that as artwork! It's interesting!

I think self-portraiture is a completely acceptable sub-classification of Photography dating way back in the genre.
Now that being said, I at least would like to see some effort put into it. I think there should be some sort of standards... I think there should be something interesting or unique about it. Self portraits don't bother me if they are photo shopped to show a message or expresses an idea.

I have one In the arena now actually... It's my first submission but I put a lot of effort into it. I didn't do a very good description though... My mind kind of went blank. It's supposed to express the extremes in personality and the inner turmoil caused by a mismatched reflection. I'm transgendered myself and I used to very difrent photo's of myself. If it's something along those lines... I don't mind at all.

I concede that the standard my space angle/mirror pics are most often cheesy and really shouldn't be put into a contest.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff