Welcome to Gaia! ::

Noa Qep
If I'm talking about something and I'm wanting to use its Japanese name, I say "anime."
If I'm talking English and I want to use its English name, I say "cartoon."

That's the only real difference I use. I understand other people and feeling strongly that anime only connects with things made in East Asian countries like Japan and South Korea and such, though.

That actually makes sense.

Enduring Cyclops

15,200 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Tackle and Tickle
Mahzuki
Tackle and Tickle
First in Japan Anime means any animation/cartoon. Not as most thing that it is animation with Japan as it country of origins.

Questions.

If the Anime is made by a pure Japanese company with only Japanese employee's, but was located in the United States would it still be an Anime.

If a Korean Company based in Japan made an Animation it country of Origins would be Japan would it then be an Anime.

If a Japanese company made an Anime, but outsourced parts of the creation to companies not in Japan would it still be an Anime.

If a Japanese American made an Anime in the United States would that still be an Anime.

If a Japanese American mad an Anime in Japan would that still be an Anime.

If an Non- Japanese but was born in Japan and has Japanese citizenship made and anime does that make it an Anime.

If an U.S. company collaborate with a Japanese company to make a cartoon (Iron Man, Wolverine) for the United States audience.

What if a Japanese company makes an Anime not for Japanese audience, but for western audience.

I live in Japan And I don't get that whole "Anime comes from Japan!"
I watched Afro Samurai and It was awesome!
(Afro Samurai was made in America right? Samuel L. Jackson was the Voice actor for Afro)

Yes. People in Japan think anime is any animation.

I know that.
I didn't read my own post lol sorry sweatdrop

Eloquent Humorist

11,675 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Tycoon 200
If you want to split hairs, then yes, you technically have a very good point. Ananime is the Japanese word for animation, so technically, the word could be applied to either product.

The problem isn't the word itself, but the categorization. American and Japanese animations are vastly different products, in regards to execution, content, marketing, production, and so on and so forth. They follow different rules, appeal to mostly different markets, and no matter how the line may blur, that line will always be there.

If it were an issue of calling American cartoons anime, that would be fine. But I highly doubt anybody would care if it was just about the name. It's about the categorization, people wanting to talk about western cartoons in anime environments while arguing semantics the entire time. Or, they're just protesting that their favorite show is good enough to be considered an anime, while bringing up the technical definition whenever somebody challenges them on it.

Admittedly, it's a mucky topic.

Wealthy Streaker

8,025 Points
  • Overstocked 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Tycoon 200
The roots are stilll japanese as 99% is based on manga by japanese authors on visual novels by japanese companies. A exception is Freezing where the author is korean, but unlike other koreans he draws real manga and not manhwa.
So don't create a problem, where isn't one.
Dubs suck a** is why. It isn't as popular over here so not as many people care to make good ones.

mv 's Problem

Spicy Dog

17,325 Points
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Timid 100
  • Sausage Fest 200
Strictly using the term, anime is only from Japan. Other animations that are not from Japan are not called anime.

Lupine Spirit

14,950 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • The Wolf Within 100
  • Team Jacob 100
Ryumance
Strictly using the term, anime is only from Japan. Other animations that are not from Japan are not called anime.
strictly speaking anime is just the term used in Japan for cartoons that replaced the use of the term "manga eiga" for cartoons sometime in the 70's. inside Japan it refers to any types of animation made anywhere in the world and is used interchangeably with the English word cartoon. much like how inside Japan manga and comikku/comics are used as synonyms.

it's only in slang usage outside of Japan there's any difference between anime and cartoons.

Ruthless Businesswoman

9,500 Points
  • Market Browser 100
  • Bidding War 100
  • Profitable 100
        To me, despite having all different drawing styles, it's more of an art form so when someone calls an American made cartoon an anime I know what they're talking about.

Creeper Bunny

I agree that anime seems to refer to more of a style.

But, you know, usually when I here people talk about animations and cartoons in English, they refer to them as "animations" and "cartoons". You know, like 'Miyazaki's animated feature The Wind Rises' or 'Disney's animated hit Frozen'. They don't shorten it to anime.

I feel that 'anime' is a very Japanese connotation on the word animation, which wouldn't be used in English (at least American English). So, as it came over, it just naturally got associated with Japanese animations (I think some people thought of it as a shortened version of Japanimation, actually?)

It's just a cultural thing, I guess I'm trying to say. Japanese connotation of the word is for all forms of animation, while western refers to a specific type. That's how I'll probably always think of it in my head, at least.

For your questions, I thought of some examples:
- I'll always think of Avatar and Teen Titans as more cartoony that anime-ish because of the humour, even though they look like Japanese animation and TT was made by a Japanese director. They just have that feel.
- I consider stuff like Code Lyoko anime. It's French, but it really feels like anime.
-I always thought of RWBY more as an animation, rather than an anime or cartoon. The style of animation could fit into either catagory, but I feel like the humor wasn't like that of anime and I just can't call it a cartoon. I dunno, I guess it felt too experimental to me.
-Tekkonkinkreet, a movie produced in Japan by and American, is anime. It has the that charm, with the approach to the story.

I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing to have anime, cartoon, and animation have different meanings. It just gets confusing.

Side note: I don't know how other cultures use the word anime, so I used "American English". I remember seeing someone from the Middle East or India say they used anime for animation.

Eloquent Humorist

11,675 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Tycoon 200
"What are you into?"

"I like anime."

"What kind of anime? Spongebob, Ninja Turtles, Archer, something like that?"

"No... No. I'm talking about eastern anime. You know, stuff from Asia."

"Oh... There should be a shorter term for that stuff."

"There used to be, before people started picking at it."

Versatile Lunatic

Anything animated is technically an anime. No if ands or buts. Where do you think the name comes from.
I call Anime from Japan Japanimations or Japanime :p

Wheezing Gekko

I just use Anime to classify Japanese Cartoons because that's more than a mouthful when the same meaning could easily be conveyed to people, and because the term "Japanimation" just sounds BAD.

Wrathful Shade

Because they're petty and fickle.

To me, anime is a style, regardless of where it comes from.

Eloquent Humorist

11,675 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Tycoon 200
XrosHeartless
Because they're petty and fickle.

To me, anime is a style, regardless of where it comes from.

Do you consider Panty and Stocking to be an anime? It uses a very distinct Tartakovsky style.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff