Welcome to Gaia! ::

12,050 Points
  • Befriended 100
  • Full closet 200
  • Forum Explorer 100
Ashley Vermillion
And did it ever occur to these people that often times the dub is good enough to outshine the Japanese version (when English is your first language and you are, after all, an American)?

Nominally I think the original Japanese subtitled in English is more enjoyable. Granted there are some shows that I prefer to watch dubed, or have seen sub titled and want to see if the English voice acting fits the anime or not. There are also some that I have only seen dubed and would like to hear the original voice acting and see what the original directer had in mind.

Also some times dubs are so bad that they must be distorted, there is a reason why fans of One Piece, started a campaign years ago to save the show form 4Kids. But that is a rant for another time.
Indigo Kitsune
Ashley Vermillion
And did it ever occur to these people that often times the dub is good enough to outshine the Japanese version (when English is your first language and you are, after all, an American)?

Nominally I think the original Japanese subtitled in English is more enjoyable. Granted there are some shows that I prefer to watch dubed, or have seen sub titled and want to see if the English voice acting fits the anime or not. There are also some that I have only seen dubed and would like to hear the original voice acting and see what the original directer had in mind.

Also some times dubs are so bad that they must be distorted, there is a reason why fans of One Piece, started a campaign years ago to save the show form 4Kids. But that is a rant for another time.

Though in the case of One Piece the people who hated the 4kids dub the most and who campaigned the hardest were in many cases dub fans. People who wanted the show to be dubbed by a company that would treat it with respect and do a good job. And we won, we won back in 2007. Man I just remembered the FUNimation dub has lasted longer then the 4kids dub and that is enough proof to me that good dubs work.

Eloquent Humorist

11,675 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Tycoon 200
I can't stand dub-haters. They think they're better than other people just because they watch subs.

I won't deny that there are terrible dubs out there. But the majority of them are at least decent enough to listen to without complaint. After all the work that goes into rewriting the script and matching the flaps without losing the spirit of the original script, it's a crime to shun them in favor of the original work.
          ████████████████ MONOCHROMEMINT SAYS. . .

一一一一一一一一一一一一一一一一一一一►

Well, that's pretty funny, but I know what you mean, there are some unbelievably snobby people out there who will laugh at you for just about anything when it comes to manga/anime.

Personally, I don't think there's any problem with wanting to watch the dubs, I watch both the subbed and dubbed versions of anime, sometimes I watch it in Spanish since I also speak the language.
                    At times, the buds are actually better than the subbed version, like with Cowboy Bebop.
                    That's one series where I think the English dub fit the show better.
                    Same with Baccano and I always like watching Saint Seiya in Spanish.

████████████████████████████████

Friendly Lover

7,650 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Conversationalist 100
every anime fan is a snob in some way. Some will not watch a specific genre or listen to dub or sub.

I just hate people who act like if you listen or like the dub then you aren't a real fan. I've had people tell me to use the characters from sailor moon Japanese names. Screw that I know their names but I grew up on the dub.
Otaku snobs are obnoxious hobknockers. Nuff said. For the record, I love English dubs =D

Alien Invader

The stigma about english dubbing stems from how horrible the quality was in the 80s and early 90s.
For the most part the quality of the english dubbing has been dramatically improved since then, but people still make up reasons for why the original dubbing is always superior. I've even heard people say there isn't as much emotion in english voice actor's performances and I think that is incredibly insulting.
It all just depends on the series for me personally and the amount of times I have to hear one thing in Japanese and read something else in English. emotion_donotwant
Ashley Vermillion
Any other Japanese-Americans who have to put up with this?

Ya people are dumb. True anime fans watch what they like, when they like, how they like

6,950 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Flatterer 200
I won't snub people out for watching the dub of something (except for anything with Vic Micnogna in it, dear lord how does he keep his job), but I will admit I'll happily latch onto a sub whenever possible. English and Japanese are both foreign languages to me, but while I understand English, I've been raised watching almost 99% of my shows with subtitles.

It's awkward for me not to have my eyes trail down to the bottom of the screen to read the subtitles. Even when I'm watching Doctor Who on the BBC, I'll wish there was a sub function, preferably in English as that's the language I largely think in.

I'll admit the Dragonball Z dub is much preferred to me over the sub, though. I don't watch a lot of shows with English dubs available at that time anyway, though the English dub voices just don't sound right if you're used to their voices in Japanese. It'd be like watching Harry Potter with Severus speaking in a rapid, medium tone Spanish voice while I'm used to his low, English drawl.

I don't think it's a case of elitism until the point that people start going 'it's obviously superior because it's in grorious nipponese' - even then, it's not elitism, but weeabooism.

Mega Hunter

13,000 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Mark Twain 100
Personally, I think it all comes to down to taste. If you prefer one or the other, fine. These days, dubs are getting better and better, and I find it more fulfilling to listen to a professional dub, or read the professional subtitles instead of the fansubs, which can get the meanings of certain sentences mixed up in translation.

Some times I like the dubs, sometimes I like the subs, and I don't care if people only stick to one form of entertainment.

What grinds my gears is when people dismiss a dub just because it's English. It's one thing when the dub is badly translated and acted, but it's another when the work is really well done and it's dismissed anyway just because it's not Japanese.

You know, most people in North America, speak English AS THEIR FIRST LANGUAGE, so why is it that watching an anime in a language you understand makes you less of a fan of the medium? Sometimes the English just is more enjoyable then the Japanese and vice-versa.

It's one thing if you it doesn't appeal to you, but it's another to snob out the person who does enjoy it just because you don't.

In the end of the day, these dub haters are only hurting the anime market. Anime is not a lucrative market in Japan nowadays, especially with all the reality shows taking over, so Japan needs the western market to keep it flowing and the dubbing industry is very helpful for the business. Snobbing out dubs as an abomination of the original Japanese work, JUST because it's not the original language, only alienates a form of the anime that can be enjoyed by western audiences and reduces the chances that the dubs will be made, making the title a harder anime to come by and reducing it's sales.

Also, one thing that always got me was the fact that A LOT of movies from America go off to different shores and get dubbed there as well. Are you going to call the people from those cultures non-fans just because they prefer to enjoy the show/movie in their native language?
I am an anime otaku. I like dubs better because, that way you don't have to read the screen, and also because I have watched some subs that didn't kake sense at all. (Sorry about the spelling im using a cheap kohls ipad, I also want to apologize for all the snob otakus out there)

Beloved Conversationalist

9,250 Points
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Friendly 100
  • Befriended 100
To things like this, I can only say this:

Stupid people always have been, are, and will be existing. Don't get mad, you just met one of them. Walk past them.

But seriously, that person was obviously dumb.

Besides, write your frustrations to THAT guy, because as much as we can read you ranting, that won't change anything about that dumbie.
Creativerealms
And it's even worse in some cases like the great Disney dubs of Studio Ghibli movies. Like Ponyo's dub which was hated BEFORE people even saw the trailer just because of the last name of the kids playing Ponyo and Sasuke.

This atmosphere has been true of every Ghibli dub Disney released. Even Kiki was attacked by elitists for Phil Hartman's Jiji.

Conservative Genius

8,925 Points
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Partygoer 500
Ox the Younger
Yeah, story of my life. I like very few of the dubs that are done, some because they have mastered at not only translation, but have done very well at emulating the tone that characters have. Samurai Champloo, Desert Punk, and Inuyasha are prime examples of this. A good majority of anime does not do this very well (or at all) and totally changes the fluency and emotion (or the atmosphere of the anime is what I think I'm trying to get at) of the anime. Also, in some instances, the anime features two languages being spoken (Ex: In the first episode of K ( Yes, the anime is called "K" ) the first few scenes are shown with one person speaking English, the other Japanese to emulate a real-world situation) in which if they were only speaking English, would be awkward to get that part of the scene. It really depends on the anime.
Wyrn
Ashley Vermillion

I'm Korean American. I get the damn Starcraft idiocy.

Yes, I am a gamer... a tabletop gamer. ******** off, Koreans are good for more then ******** Starcraft.

Oh yeah, and the idiots that hate Korean animation because it is not Japanese. I just ask their opinion of The Simpsons.

Seriously, idiots are everywhere.

Also Igloo does not have dubs as far as I can tell. The only thing I can find that does have English dubs are all bootlegs.

Plus, much of the animation for US and Japanese animated tv series, is animated by Korean animation studios. It's been like that for years.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff