Welcome to Gaia! ::

Eloquent Humorist

11,675 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Tycoon 200
So... I am not familiar with the Gundam universe. I know it's one of the most expansive franchises of all time, but I've never taken the time to actually sit down and watch it. I mean, I saw a few episodes of Wing when I was a teenager, but that's about it.

Now, I've recently been considering getting into it, but with so much of it out there, I really don't know where to start. And thus I turn to you, AMC. If I ever do decide to get into Gundam, what is the first thing I should watch?
The original series if not sure: (0079/OYW > Zeta > ZZ (optional) > CCA)
Otherwise, just refer to this chart.
User Image

11,025 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Autobiographer 200
You should start with Mobile Suit Gundam 00. It's my favorite Gundam series.

Aged Recycler

5,300 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Converting 1 item 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
thesupremekaidbz
You should start with Mobile Suit Gundam 00. It's my favorite Gundam series.

Just be wary of S2 and the movie. But yeah you're free to watch any au shows without having to know the UC timeline. But avoid age at all cost.

mv 's Problem

Spicy Dog

17,325 Points
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Timid 100
  • Sausage Fest 200
          Star Driver.

Bunny

42,575 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Fashionable Fancy Dress: Cute 100
  • Ian's Valentine 100
New Mobile Report Gundam Wing is my favorite.
-shrugs-
Endless Waltz was also a good watch.

Dedicated Conversationalist

12,350 Points
  • Mega Tipsy 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Friendly 100
Gundam Wing
I recommend giving Gundam Wing another shot as you're already familiar with the series, but if you want to try the UC Era then that's a good start too, just go by the chart that was posted as that is a good reference guide! ^^

Btw the Gundam franchise is split into two Era's, Universal Century [UC] and Alternate Universe,
With UC you have to start at the beginning [Mobile Suit Gundam or Gundam 0079] to get the jist of the plot and follow through to Unicorn Gundam, [It's quiet a loooong storyline that spans over numerous Gundam series]

With AU you can watch any series as they all have their own plots and don't follow onto one another like the UC franchise does! ^^
[Like Wing falls under the AU Era, along with Seed and 00]

Enduring Cyclops

15,200 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Build Fighters is friendly to first time gundam watchers

mabu janai's Husbando

Handsome Hero

I found Wing to be incredibly average, coming from someone who didn't grow up with it.
I literally got into Toonami right after Wing finished airing as a kid.
Some characters are cool, but its strengths are in its sound track, mech design and secondary characters.
Overall, a pretty "meh" experience, at least on my part. Treize was the only guy keeping me around after a while.

If you want stand-alone titles, I'd try Gundam X or Turn A Gundam. They're both incredibly solid.
G is great too if you're into super robot anime and wuxia. It's a huge detour from the usual Gundam titles.

But, if you really want to get into the nitty-gritty of Gundam, get into the UC timeline.
Start with Gundam 0079 > Zeta Gundam > ZZ Gundam > Char's Counterattack.
Afterwards you can get into the OVA's, but overall, they're relatively optional (08th MS Team, 0083 Stardust Memory. 0080 War in the Pocket, Unicorn, etc.).
Then ya' got distant UC, like Victory and F91 but... meh, whatever. That becomes relevant to you the more you watch UC.

So yeah, tl;dr, try X or Turn A, or start UC time line with 0079 > Z > ZZ > CCA.
Gundam series is good... You can start with Gundam 00.
♫ There is something, that I ... ♫

User Image

I haven't watched many Gundam series tbh, since either the animation was bad for me, or I felt that the story was getting nowhere even after the 20th episode. Gundam 00 wasn't bad, but I felt that the original starter of "eliminating war" was too plain. The story didn't get anywhere afterwards either.

If I were to recommend anything from the Gundam's, it would be Gundam Seed. Unlike the others I saw, one of the main characters start out as a complete newbie to war. And for me I felt the plot grew more and more emotional and intense right down to the last episode. Char development, story, and the animation isn't that bad either. Downright to being my #1 anime despite genre really.

User Image

♫ ... fear more than death
- T.F. Baam (ToG) ♫

Timid Lunatic

08th MS Team! It's super short, but the characters are absolutely amazing. It's the first Gundam series I ever watched, and it's still my favorite!

Familiar Explorer

I watched everything on toonami as a kid but had my first taste of universal century with Gundam U.C. recently.

I liked it so much I'm scourging for more uc timeline stuff that isn't too old for my tastes. One of which is Gundam: the origin manga. It retells the first series of Amuro and Gundam.

Apparantly there's an anime in the works so I'm looking forward to that.
I know this may be to late to answer for but forget all other comments (not that they aren't good suggestions but to someone new to gundam they just don't cut it) what you need to do is read about them a summary of the Gundam anime if you would like any other anime you normally don't just watch half cocked and start from episode one you see if it would be interesting to watch and then start that is the best way to start
BUT to watch a Gundam series takes more then that you need to relieve you mind and body of any political or emotional baggage (so you can start anew with Gundam) this way you aren't dragged by the usual "oh look a dumb F**K i'm not going to continue this anymore" style of anime watching that most of the anime community (as far as I've learned) takes to watching anime
so keep calm and pilot a giant robot

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces