Welcome to Gaia! ::

the_rand0m_one
Anime DOES mean animation! I know that! I'm saying that it generally refers to animation made in Japan though! Anime refers to any animation made in Japan, regardless of how it's drawn!! The Japanese call their cartoons "animations" in Japanese, "anime". So really, they are still cartoons, just like any one from America. But since one would want to distinguish it from American cartoons, we REFER to the Japanese animation as ANIME. That is my point. The End.

Sorry I was only correcting you about this ''DEFINITON=Japanese. Animation. ''

Magical Girl

26,725 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Battle: Mage 100
  • Invisibility 100
It must come from Japan to be called anime. It's not just a drawing style. Anime is short for animation but it is used to refer to Japanese animation so yea, what I'm saying here is that Japanese animation has to have come from Japan. I know most of you don't understand me domokun .
anime is really just the shortened version of the word animation as its rather long to type and say, its much easier to type/say anime. Anime is a word with a denotation and a conotation.

Its denotation, or direct meaning (definition) is animation, be it from whatever country America, Japan, hell even Germany for that matter.

The connotation (associated meaning) is Japanese Animation.

So Teen Titatns is an anime but its american. Teen Titans, however, is not a Japanese Animation.

Really there is no "wanna be anime" because any cartoon is an anime by definiton.
KagomeYoukai
It must come from Japan to be called anime.

Why?

If the Japanese didnt create the word and its meaning why should it have to come from Japan to be called anime?

Can we call any other american cartoon anime?
Its not hurting anyone and its not wrong.
Karasu_Kibo
KagomeYoukai
It must come from Japan to be called anime.

Why?

If the Japanese didnt create the word and its meaning why should it have to come from Japan to be called anime?

Can we call any other american cartoon anime?
Its not hurting anyone and its not wrong.

nyu...I have to agree with Karasu Kibo there...american cartoons are anime...to be Japanese anime it has to be from Japan me thinks...but anime doesn't have to be from Japan...it could come from South Africa and be called anime so long as its a cartoon
cherieai
I took a japanese class a couple of years ago and my teacher asked us what anime is. well, anime is basically japanese animation. teen titans is not an anime, or a wanna-be anime because it is not an anime at all -- it is a cartoon show. i think a cartoon would be considered anime only if it is created by the japanese.
they dont HAVE to come from japan gees...
Everyone's post I read here seems to be missing the point. Anime isn't all about art style or how something looks. If you could pay attention to some good animes, like X or Evangelion or something else of that matter, anime has a certain amount of intrigue and depth that most cartoons in America don't have.

And I know what you're thinking: "Why are you making this kind of difference when you hope to create your own manga?"

Maybe it won't be released in Japan first, but it won't matter, because I have faith in the depth and intrigue my manga carries. And who knows? Maybe it will be imported to Japan. But that's far and away from here.

Next time, try to pay attention to what real anime offers, and compare it with the look-alikes. You'll see what I mean.
Kao Zorrus
Everyone's post I read here seems to be missing the point. Anime isn't all about art style or how something looks. If you could pay attention to some good animes, like X or Evangelion or something else of that matter, anime has a certain amount of intrigue and depth that most cartoons in America don't have.

And I know what you're thinking: "Why are you making this kind of difference when you hope to create your own manga?"

Maybe it won't be released in Japan first, but it won't matter, because I have faith in the depth and intrigue my manga carries. And who knows? Maybe it will be imported to Japan. But that's far and away from here.

Next time, try to pay attention to what real anime offers, and compare it with the look-alikes. You'll see what I mean.

Actually no, your doing exactly what you said was wrong.

Anime means cartoon, plain and simple.
MochiPuchiko
I think it has to come from Japan and everything, ya know? Teen Titans and Totally Preps are just wanna-bes. domokun

I agree
Anime has to come from Japan. Otherwise it isn't anime xD
Kawaii_Moon_Goddess

Why>?

Anime means Cartoon, any cartoon not just ones from Japan.
Anime is the Japanese word for animation.
Karasu_Kibo
Kawaii_Moon_Goddess

Why>?

Anime means Cartoon, any cartoon not just ones from Japan.

So if anime and cartoons are the same why do they need two different names? whats the difference between say DC and Maverl Comics and TokyoPop and Viz??
Hmmm... Then why is the American Anime Expo called the Anime Expo and there is hardly a trace of any animation outside of Japan? Because outside of Japan, we take anime to mean any and all Japanese animation.

We don't live in Japan, so why use anime like they do? The same with the word otaku. In fact, thanks to the American usage of otaku, the word in Japan is no longer associated with geeks who rape and kill little girls who look at loli-con and hentai all day.

And I prefer to say anime to mean only Japanese animation because a)I don't like most American animation, that's what the term cartoon is for and b) I'm lazy and I don't like saying Japanese animation and the term J-anime pisses me off.
umm...... i think its from japan cause most of the time it has japense beginging and ends

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff