Welcome to Gaia! ::

I've been wacthing Cartoon Network alot this summer and I was thinking about the old shows that use to come on and what comes on now. IN particular the shows like Teen Titians and really anything that comes on Miguiz. And I noticed how little kids (Anyone under 13 in my book) call those shows Anime. I personally dont think of them as Animes in any way. Maybe a wannabe anime but no there not. I mean look at the Teen Titians comic or Teen Titians Go! for that matter maybe those whould of been an Anime but nothing thats made in America count as Anime simply cause Anime is Japanese Animation not the stuff they make here in America.

So anyway what does the rest of the world think on that. Is Anime simply a Japanese stlye or must it come from Japan?
I think it has to come from Japan and everything, ya know? Teen Titans and Totally Preps are just wanna-bes. domokun

Sex Symbol

15,525 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Battle: KO 200
  • Conventioneer 300
I personally view "anime" as a shortened version of the word "animation". So, to me, anime and cartoons mean the same thing.

According to the dictionary, anime is a style. As long as the cartoon has the "style", it's anime. Country of origin doesn't matter.

Of course, many people consider anime to simply mean "Japanese cartoons". sweatdrop

Edit: Also, I don't believe there is such a thing as "wanna be" anime. Art is influenced by many factors. Just because an artist is influenced by the work of other artists doesn't mean that (s)he's a "wanna be".
Well, I would just call Teen Titians an American anime. I mean, what about Avatar: The Last Airbender? It looks so much like Japanese anime. Though I still wouldn't call it Japanese anime but maybe American anime.
i tell my friends that anime is japanese animation. it originated in japan, so ya. if it is made by americans its not anime. so i think anime is supossed to come from japan

6,950 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Clambake 200
KaosMage15
I've been wacthing Cartoon Network alot this summer and I was thinking about the old shows that use to come on and what comes on now. IN particular the shows like Teen Titians and really anything that comes on Miguiz. And I noticed how little kids (Anyone under 13 in my book) call those shows Anime. I personally dont think of them as Animes in any way. Maybe a wannabe anime but no there not. I mean look at the Teen Titians comic or Teen Titians Go! for that matter maybe those whould of been an Anime but nothing thats made in America count as Anime simply cause Anime is Japanese Animation not the stuff they make here in America.

So anyway what does the rest of the world think on that. Is Anime simply a Japanese stlye or must it come from Japan?

Totally agree with you. 3nodding
anime is a style: it came from japan but that doesnt mean it can only be made there. Of course, I think Americans havent fully grasped the true meaning of anime-the complicated stories and characters, and especially the style. Anyone that calls Teen Titans anime doesnt know what theyre talking about: it has anime attributes but the storyline and main art is nothing like traditional anime. Its not an "anime wannabe", american animators just cant grasp the style yet. But there are some very traditional anime american shows coming out like the boondocks I thought the art on that was pretty close to anime
to me anime is from Japan. And true anime came from manga books, which I LOVE! Plus I consider InuYasha the best anime. It has everything!

Scurvy Pirate

Morbid Gnome
I personally view "anime" as a shortened version of the word "animation". So, to me, anime and cartoons mean the same thing.

According to the dictionary, anime is a style. As long as the cartoon has the "style", it's anime. Country of origin doesn't matter.

Of course, many people consider anime to simply mean "Japanese cartoons". sweatdrop

Edit: Also, I don't believe there is such a thing as "wanna be" anime. Art is influenced by many factors. Just because an artist is influenced by the work of other artists doesn't mean that (s)he's a "wanna be".

Darn, beaten to it. I'm in agreement with this.
InuYasha_Fan_4
to me anime is from Japan. And true anime came from manga books, which I LOVE! Plus I consider InuYasha the best anime. It has everything!
I agree with the inuyasha part its a complete package of genius and its my favorite series ^^ and full metal alchemist is the same way
persoanlly i belive that when describing some thing as anime it is made in japan

this is true especially of manga as i tend to make the distinction between manga (japan) and manhwa (korea) even though often the only way i can tell the difrence is by notig the sound effects use korean text not japanese (though this can be confusing if you are reading scanalated material from korean releases of japanese manga)
Kayeni
InuYasha_Fan_4
I agree with the inuyasha part its a complete package of genius and its my favorite series ^^ and full metal alchemist is the same way

Yay! I am glad you agree with me! Alot of people dont like InuYasha. BOO them...
fyi....teen titans' an anime..... i saw this thread dat have allt he proof but i forgot wat its called....but im sure it is rolleyes

Distinct Hunter

8,200 Points
  • Pie Feeder 50
  • Pie Enabler 100
  • Pie Hoarder by Proxy 150
I share Morbid Gnome's belief that any animation can truthfully be called Anime, but mainly because the Japanese themselves use it to refer to any animated show, no matter the style used or the country the show originates from.

For those of you who define anime as being a specific style, I challenge you to define the telltale characteristics of this artistic style. I am willing to put good money on it that your list of elements will exclude many Japanese shows and include a lot of western shows that were not influenced by Japanese animation.

Big O and Azumanga Daioh are both anime, but look absolutely nothing alike. The same goes for Sailor Moon and Cowboy Bebop.
I took a japanese class a couple of years ago and my teacher asked us what anime is. well, anime is basically japanese animation. teen titans is not an anime, or a wanna-be anime because it is not an anime at all -- it is a cartoon show. i think a cartoon would be considered anime only if it is created by the japanese.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff