Welcome to Gaia! ::

Shonen Heros

I agree. I would kill them if they werent invincible 0.35897435897436 35.9% [ 14 ]
I agree a bit.... 0.17948717948718 17.9% [ 7 ]
*shrug* Its whatever 0.25641025641026 25.6% [ 10 ]
What are you talking about, shonen heros have plenty character! 0.20512820512821 20.5% [ 8 ]
Total Votes:[ 39 ]
1 2 >

.....and fired into the sun. Because Im a shonen hero. I can only be killed by God himself.

As an avid reader and writer, I find the mega-powerful young boys, with copy and paste personalities {fiercely protective, silent serious, apparently went through puberty without discovering the opposite sex} and no human weaknesses other than whatever dark force is inside them to be extremely irritating.

I will use the well-known punching bag Ichigo Kurosaki as an example.

I do not understand why he is so popular. He has very little personality outside of being ready to recklessly throw himself into battles to save his friends. He is powerful, serious, and silent < very few characters can talk openly with him. He has a an inner demon he stuggles to surpress. And is arrogant without realizing he is......just like 100000000000000 other shonen heros.

But the mega powerfulness is most annoying. During his battle with He dies no less than 3 times between the begining and his battle with Uliqiorra and he either

A} "aww man,. this enemy is too powerful and im about to die....OMG NEW POWER *obliterates mega strong enemy despite being nearly dead*

B} *insert inspring speech from friend or screaming from Orihime. Ichigo zombie arises* ITS OVER 90000 *obliterates enemy*

....its to point where I skim his battle because I know exactly whats going to happen. And i dont care about his character because, how can i care about a character with little development who could probably survive the universe exploding.

not to mention his fighting style is more repeptive that pop songs. The whole time he flings around varied versions of Getsuga, and makes inspiring comments weve all heard before.

I can understand some of his appeal. he represents the character we all wish we could be. This perfect, powerful, good-looking well-liked person. Hes popular because guys can fantasize about being him and girls can fantasize being with a guy like him...or being a female version of him. I suppose thats the appeal of many shonen characters they represent what we wish we could be.

But that doesnt make them any less annoying

Your thoughts?
I feel the same way, because like in Zero no Tsukaima, I really didn't like that main character. They just made him into this strong character in a few episodes that all the ladies love without any character development. Or like in other shonen anime. They start out to zero to hero that can defeat the enemy with god-like abilities with some made up power that they got, even though in the last episode they didn't know how to properly use a sword.
Bump. Let's talk

Aged Codger

Battle shounen is a relic of the past.
Souma is now best shounen hero.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
i can't stand heroes in general. i'd rather have the main character fail in a realistic way than bend all of reality just to win and you're like what the ******** dude no just die

Vermillion Bibliophile

Alkaide
Battle shounen is a relic of the past.
Souma is now best shounen hero.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Follow him to hell and back, I would!

Oh, as per the whole...thing up there, that would be a typical form of plot armor that can be found in most any series nowadays, that is a battle series and has the genre "shonen" slapped onto it.

Quotable Genius

I've always thought the whole
"randomly gets powerboosted 9000000x because part of plot and logic sucks hue" business just sort of stuck to shounen
Like hey let me just die oh look enemy jghmiwgkalk,on and then boom .-.
power level *over roof* *over rainbow* *over idk Venus*
Doesn't irritate me a lot I guess, but I can't help but facepalm at the thought

Fashionable Raider

6,450 Points
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Cart Raider 100
  • Citizen 200
That sounds like a Mary-sue......... lol
Or a Gary-sue if it's a man.
Blood Red Drainer
That sounds like a Mary-sue......... lol
Or a Gary-sue if it's a man.

Exactly./ Many shoneen heros are gary sues where they have no physical flaws and call pull powers from thin air.

I dont care, but a 5 year old boy whos never held a sword in his life, cannot train for a few days, and then magically defeat and immortal who has been training in the sword his whole life. No. Just no.
minor renaissance
i can't stand heroes in general. i'd rather have the main character fail in a realistic way than bend all of reality just to win and you're like what the ******** dude no just die

Thank you. In Bleach, the main character dies. I mean dead. I mean, a hole the size o the moon in the center of the chest, and his heart, lungs etc, gone...then his ove intrest starts screaming help and he suddenly come back to life as a hollow.

Ok, whut.

No.

Die.

Premium Gaian

I can agree with you a bit : ) But I wouldn't mind pointing out that the only reason Goku, from Dragon Ball Z ever lived was because they brought him back to life by wishing, and because they got a cure to the poison he got from that android lol (Or was that part of the damned filler?? That Cell saga got a bit confusing for me, because they did a few fillers involving the androids).
I guess I can agree. Typical cut out template. neutral

OpZeroFilms's Kouhai

Eloquent Genius

22,800 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Little Bunny Foo Foo 100
  • Senpai's Notice 100
foxfaery
apparently went through puberty without discovering the opposite sex}

This part of your post bothers me.
Are you suggesting that boys haven't really gone through puberty until they are sexually active?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff