< 1 2 3 >

I guess that depends.

OpZeroFilms's Kouhai

Eloquent Genius

22,800 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Little Bunny Foo Foo 100
  • Senpai's Notice 100
It depends on how it's done. In the case of Naruto, it just seems like the final chapter was there for fanservice more than story.
Peacemaker Kurogane is a time-skip of Peacemaker, and it shows the main character older and more experienced. In that case, it's a good thing because the reader wouldn't want to read three years worth of him bringing tea to his boss while learning how to fight with swords. It's more efficient to skip all that.

Kawaii Shounen

The Yami Bakura
bittersweet music
well it depends, at least in tokyo ghoul it gives you a feel of suspension.
well.. the first manga ended ''open ending'' sort of.
in naruto, I know what you mean, but that time skip didn't explain s**t
The ending was completely bullshit, like how can he forget about characters.
in fairy tail, well... I personally started to dislike the manga ever since the S rank
test for mages started but hey, I think that time skip (when they froze in time or w.e)
wasn't THAT BAD... does code geass count as having a time skip?
well it's not like it affected the story.
User Image

Hay gurrrrl!
Yeah, I guess that counts as a timeskip in code geass.
Yeah, its like the author just wanted Naruto to be over, so he told the ending and ran, without saying what led to those conclusions in the first place.

halo yami good to see you back : 3
are you gonna hang out for a while in gaia?

exactly, people don't understand my frustration in the naruto ending,
they all think it's about the couples, which I understand I guess
that was also the trigger but, it was more the holes he left.
btw did you saw the last naruto?
I thou to see it on theaters, but the tickets are so damned expensive for only
1 hr and 30 minutes, i rather prefer wait and download it when it comes.

Friendly Lover

7,650 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Conversationalist 100
I can say that it depends on the reasoning and how the author handles it from the time skip to the next part where they have to explain what happened during the time skip. I have seen some authors handle it well and others who completely confused everyone on what the hell was going on.
    Time skips can work well with series, but I think where they go wrong is when they're used as a tool for lazy writing. All too often it's used as character development without giving the reader/viewer a taste of the work and struggle it took to get to that point. It's why we often root for the underdog in many series.

It's the journey, not the destination. If we wanted the destination, we can all just wiki it.

Destructive Bunny

Timeskips at the end can be rushed, lazy and just plain terrible. Like the series is running out of time what's the fastest way to wrap it all up.

The manga Soul Eater and Vampire Knight comes to mind, the first is just one bad boob joke and the later has the rare talent of skipping over all the happy bits and leaving you depressed....

Shopper

A lot of the time, it helps cut fillers out (like in One Piece) and adds a lot of mystery to shows that leave you craving answers. I like them, personally. As long as they're explained.

Unbeatable Noob

16,700 Points
  • Hunter 50
  • Statustician 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
sTRANGE GoofY wEIRdo
I think in the cases of of Fairy Tail and One Piece were fully justified. Fairy Tail needed it to give us the events with the dragons, as well as giving us more guilds. The second have us a change to the characters as well as being a good chance for personal growth and power increasing.
One Piece's time skip gave us character growth, power increasement and more possible enemies. It also gave Luffy a chance to gain a mentor and allowed him, Zoro and Sanji to learn Haki.

Naruto's first time just did the same as One Pieces, and gave us some cool stuff. Sadly though that didn't last as Naruto became a ditto and the second time skip was just lazy. Hell, they could have had a whole story arch of Hinata and Naruto, and Sakura and Sauske finding who they wanted. But instead we get a glorified movie teaser.
Bleach did it the worst. A cheap lazy way to give Ichigo a quick power boost, and then take it away. The second didn't even make sense as the series should have ended with Rukia disappearing infront of Ichigo as he lost his powers and them saying goodbye to each other. Infact, have the final page just be where Rukia was standing with the simple words Good Bye. But we instead got this ******** of a final arc.

The most lazy way was fairy tail. Going in a beach to become stronger. It was just a crappy way to show fan service. And when they ******** up by going into a reverse Hyper Bolic Time chamber they used some a**-pull called the Second origin to make them stronger. BULLSHIT.

Besides Ichigo TRAINED in his timeskip and it was in no way quick when he got his fullbring powers. And the final arc has been pretty good. Or did you considered Yama getting sliced in half and, kommaru ripping out his heart to become human and toshiro becoming a zombie ****** of an arc.

The timeskip in One piece wasn't the best. I liked franky but he turned full robot I didn't like it. Also Brook didn't get stronger all he did was sang in front of people and learned an ability or two. Not really much.
Luffy barely changed as a character. If I were to compare him from chapter 1 to the current chapters I would say in terms of character development NOTHING happened.
Of course there will be new enemies and him and his comrades gain new powers and abilities. That's the WHOLE point of a time skip that doesn't need to be justified or be impressed about.
There has been three arcs in one piece after the time skip so far. the first two arcs were decent and the current arc is pretty good. But I am not a fan on the current things that happens how we see fodder fighting against eachother. The anime is butchering one piece with all it's crappy animation and stretching content in the manga that were suppose to be panels to half an episode in the anime. That's not Oda's fault but toei animation. Which could affect sales.

I do agree about Naruto though
ImmaEffinAngel
sTRANGE GoofY wEIRdo
I think in the cases of of Fairy Tail and One Piece were fully justified. Fairy Tail needed it to give us the events with the dragons, as well as giving us more guilds. The second have us a change to the characters as well as being a good chance for personal growth and power increasing.
One Piece's time skip gave us character growth, power increasement and more possible enemies. It also gave Luffy a chance to gain a mentor and allowed him, Zoro and Sanji to learn Haki.

Naruto's first time just did the same as One Pieces, and gave us some cool stuff. Sadly though that didn't last as Naruto became a ditto and the second time skip was just lazy. Hell, they could have had a whole story arch of Hinata and Naruto, and Sakura and Sauske finding who they wanted. But instead we get a glorified movie teaser.
Bleach did it the worst. A cheap lazy way to give Ichigo a quick power boost, and then take it away. The second didn't even make sense as the series should have ended with Rukia disappearing infront of Ichigo as he lost his powers and them saying goodbye to each other. Infact, have the final page just be where Rukia was standing with the simple words Good Bye. But we instead got this ******** of a final arc.

The most lazy way was fairy tail. Going in a beach to become stronger. It was just a crappy way to show fan service. And when they ******** up by going into a reverse Hyper Bolic Time chamber they used some a**-pull called the Second origin to make them stronger. BULLSHIT.

Besides Ichigo TRAINED in his timeskip and it was in no way quick when he got his fullbring powers. And the final arc has been pretty good. Or did you considered Yama getting sliced in half and, kommaru ripping out his heart to become human and toshiro becoming a zombie ****** of an arc.

The timeskip in One piece wasn't the best. I liked franky but he turned full robot I didn't like it. Also Brook didn't get stronger all he did was sang in front of people and learned an ability or two. Not really much.
Luffy barely changed as a character. If I were to compare him from chapter 1 to the current chapters I would say in terms of character development NOTHING happened.
Of course there will be new enemies and him and his comrades gain new powers and abilities. That's the WHOLE point of a time skip that doesn't need to be justified or be impressed about.
There has been three arcs in one piece after the time skip so far. the first two arcs were decent and the current arc is pretty good. But I am not a fan on the current things that happens how we see fodder fighting against eachother. The anime is butchering one piece with all it's crappy animation and stretching content in the manga that were suppose to be panels to half an episode in the anime. That's not Oda's fault but toei animation. Which could affect sales.

I do agree about Naruto though

To be honest, I'm not even sure if anything actually did happen with the whole second origin thing. They say the characters got stronger, but I just didn't see it. Lucy's fight with Flare though definately gave her a much needed boost out of pure fan service fodder.
And that beach episode does actually have a bennifi out side of fan service. Wendy gets that book and learns more dragon slayer magic. I forget though if she actually was one of the ones that had their second origin opened or not though.

Luffy is Luffy, do you know how mad fans would be if he changed? Brooke learns more musical attacks and does actually get stronger, and Franky.... okay yeah I prefer pre-timeskip Franky. He's still corky, but not the corky I liked.

And Bleach takes a 3 month period, crams it into one minute, magically makes Ditto stronger, he beats the bad-guy in no time at all and then looses his powers, only regain them. This is the very definition of poor writing.
Yamamoto goes all bad-a** only to loose in the lamest display I've witnessed in a long time for almost no benefit to the story. People gain powers they never had in a bad way, whole things are completely retconed or made to make so sense in retrospect, and have I mentioned yet that Ditto transforming into a quincy too now is the dumbest plot twist since the one awesome fight in Twilight was just a dream?

Unbeatable Noob

16,700 Points
  • Hunter 50
  • Statustician 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
sTRANGE GoofY wEIRdo

It was confirmed and showed that second origin gives you a power boost but it still doesn't justify it or excuse it for being a poor excuse of a power up and then Hiro mashima adds when you're in the process of unlocking the second origin you feel immense pain. I am pretty sure he knew that was a cheap way to getting a power up and decided that getting a power up shouldn't be completely easy.
Also the beach training was mainly use for fan service. Since they only trained for a day. And also why a beach? Couldn't they have done it on a mountain in a forest filled with monsters in an abyss? It was just a regular beach for them to train. They could have gotten more progress training at home since at the beach we see them playing volleyball. I am not sure either if Wendy did the second origin as well.

Most of the crew mates had little to know character development. I am not saying Luffy should have had a 180 in his personality but he should have at least became more mature. Oda could have shown change in luffy without changing the basis of his character,
For example: I don't know if you watch Young Justice but there is a character called Conner Kent
who was a hot headed idiot and he and his friends were attacked. When he heard one of his friends knew about it before hand he rushed and attacked aqualad. Later in the season when one of friends was attacked his other friend he tried to calm them down to try and asses the situation. He was still a hot headed idiot but he was more calm and shown he has grown. Not sure if I explained this right, sorry if I didn't.
How did Brooke train exactly? He just performed at concerts. Maybe he did get stronger because he trained when he wasn't performing but he could have done that when he was at the straw hats.

When you say three months period. in one minute I am assuming you're talking about the dangai?
They did this in Dragon ball z when the Z warriors train in the Hyperbolic Time Chamber they got strong enough to beat the enemy. And it wasn't "magically' ichigo TRAINED. He was fighting. It was explained they converted his immense spiritual pressure and turned into physical strength, And he didn't BEAT the enemy, Urahara did. Ichigo overpowered Aizen. He helped in his defeat but Urahara sealed him away. If Urahara wasn;t there Ichigo would have died. And Aizen would have walked away. I was impressed with this and shocked how Kubo wouldn't let Ichigo take the spotlight since he was known for his cliches.

Why are belittling Yammato's death. Was whitebeards death lame because he got killed by Blackbeard from his bullet and then get his corpse hijacked him? Yammato got cut in halfed. And his legs were still standing even when he was cut in half JUST LIKE WHITEBEARD. Which shocked ALOT of people. Even when he got cut in half he clutched Juha Bach's leg while still holding his sword because he wanted to fight at his very last breathe. How can anyone call that lame?
What powers they never had in a bad way? Would you please explain
hole things are completely retconed or made to make so sense in retrospect Please explain as well. THe only thing I can remember Kubo retcon was the bankai thing. But I admit it bothered me as well but I think kubo gave a explanation which did make sense.
I am assuming Ditto is ichigo. He never transformed into a quincy it was foreshadowed he was quincy from the start,
awesome fight in Twilight was just a dream?That made no sense please elaborate

Unbeatable Noob

16,700 Points
  • Hunter 50
  • Statustician 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
sTRANGE GoofY wEIRdo
Out of curiosity what is your favorite battle manga?
ImmaEffinAngel
sTRANGE GoofY wEIRdo

It was confirmed and showed that second origin gives you a power boost but it still doesn't justify it or excuse it for being a poor excuse of a power up and then Hiro mashima adds when you're in the process of unlocking the second origin you feel immense pain. I am pretty sure he knew that was a cheap way to getting a power up and decided that getting a power up shouldn't be completely easy.
Also the beach training was mainly use for fan service. Since they only trained for a day. And also why a beach? Couldn't they have done it on a mountain in a forest filled with monsters in an abyss? It was just a regular beach for them to train. They could have gotten more progress training at home since at the beach we see them playing volleyball. I am not sure either if Wendy did the second origin as well.

Most of the crew mates had little to know character development. I am not saying Luffy should have had a 180 in his personality but he should have at least became more mature. Oda could have shown change in luffy without changing the basis of his character,
For example: I don't know if you watch Young Justice but there is a character called Conner Kent
who was a hot headed idiot and he and his friends were attacked. When he heard one of his friends knew about it before hand he rushed and attacked aqualad. Later in the season when one of friends was attacked his other friend he tried to calm them down to try and asses the situation. He was still a hot headed idiot but he was more calm and shown he has grown. Not sure if I explained this right, sorry if I didn't.
How did Brooke train exactly? He just performed at concerts. Maybe he did get stronger because he trained when he wasn't performing but he could have done that when he was at the straw hats.

When you say three months period. in one minute I am assuming you're talking about the dangai?
They did this in Dragon ball z when the Z warriors train in the Hyperbolic Time Chamber they got strong enough to beat the enemy. And it wasn't "magically' ichigo TRAINED. He was fighting. It was explained they converted his immense spiritual pressure and turned into physical strength, And he didn't BEAT the enemy, Urahara did. Ichigo overpowered Aizen. He helped in his defeat but Urahara sealed him away. If Urahara wasn;t there Ichigo would have died. And Aizen would have walked away. I was impressed with this and shocked how Kubo wouldn't let Ichigo take the spotlight since he was known for his cliches.

Why are belittling Yammato's death. Was whitebeards death lame because he got killed by Blackbeard from his bullet and then get his corpse hijacked him? Yammato got cut in halfed. And his legs were still standing even when he was cut in half JUST LIKE WHITEBEARD. Which shocked ALOT of people. Even when he got cut in half he clutched Juha Bach's leg while still holding his sword because he wanted to fight at his very last breathe. How can anyone call that lame?
What powers they never had in a bad way? Would you please explain
hole things are completely retconed or made to make so sense in retrospect Please explain as well. THe only thing I can remember Kubo retcon was the bankai thing. But I admit it bothered me as well but I think kubo gave a explanation which did make sense.
I am assuming Ditto is ichigo. He never transformed into a quincy it was foreshadowed he was quincy from the start,
awesome fight in Twilight was just a dream?That made no sense please elaborate

I'll just focus on Bleach, but I will give a brief explaination for the rest in saying good point to all of it. Yeah Luffy is an idiot, but I do think he learned a little more about the importance of protecting people after seeing for the first time him being unable to protect a loved one.

What I mean by magically probably isn't the right word and I will admit that. What happened is the mangaka over did Aizen. He made Aizen too strong and had to come up with a fast way to beat him. Personally I think it would have made more sense to I don't know, have him fight along side his dad, Yoroichi and Uahara? Still could have had a nice long fight filled with cool attacks and stuff, and had Ichigo deliver the final blow. But it also would have shown that Aizen was a true threat having to have all those strong people work together to beat him. Instead Aizen comes off as an over powered wimp after Ichigo dues ex machinas his way to being stronger. With that said, it was a cool fight though.
And I do know he doesn't magically become stronger, but it still might as well have been that way. Aizen screws around just long enough for Ichigo to get good and strong and then gets his a** kicked. And yeah when DBZ did it that was annoying too. And I've bitched about it plenty in other places.

Powers they never had in a bad way: The female captain with the braid going down her front. Her shikai is used for healing and is a giant monster. Her banaki is blood and appears to be death incarnate, but is never elaborated on cause she gets killed before it can be used. This is both a retcon and a stupid power in one package. And it is never hinted at that she ever use to be the way they suddenly say she is. At least when Fairy Tail did it with Mirajane there is some major build up to her finally showing her true power. And her reason for it is one of the more touching back stories.
Same with Renji's bankai, it suddenly turning out that he didn't know his swords real name. Seems more to me the mangaka didn't like the way his original bankai looked and wanted to change it. And if that's true, are their more who don't know their bankai's real name? Is that what happened to the captain whose shikai and bankai don't match?

How was it foreshadowed Ichigo was part quincy? I've seen a good deal of bleach until filler turned me from the anime and this latest story arc turned me from the manga. But they pretty much made it seem like Ichigo just human from the start. Added in that his dad is a former captain, and finally they decide that they had a new group, so Ichigo needed their powers too.
And that is what I mean when I call Ichigo ditto. He gets every power and it more or less seems like he transforms. At least the hallow powers were built up. And culminated in the fight between Ichigo and Uquiora, one of the best fights the series ever had.

And finall Yamamoto's death and why I rag on it. The fight itself was cool, and his death was interesting. But with out him even fighting the real bad guy it just seemed like a chance to show off what Yamamoto could do before killing him off. He didn't save a single thing cause Soul Socioty was still destroyed, couldn't shinigami were killed, and all we really got out of it was a back story on why Yamamoto had so many scars. And with out his vice captain's true power ever being even hinted his bankai just seemed way out of left field.
When White Beard died it was after he fended off a good chunk of the navy so his crew could escape, he badly injured a Admiral, destroyed the marine headquaters, broke the island in half, killed I don't know how many actual navy soliders, survived a good chunk of his insides being destroyed, half his head, reignited the world wide search for One Piece and still managed to die standing and given the coolest outtro I''ve seen yet. Yeah the war was over all lost by White Beard, but he saved his family.
ImmaEffinAngel
sTRANGE GoofY wEIRdo
Out of curiosity what is your favorite battle manga?

What do you mean? Like manga were people fight a lot? If so then my current favorite is probably Toriko or Nura Rise of the Yokai Clan.

Fluffy Bunny

19,750 Points
  • Little Bunny Foo Foo 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Bunny Hunter 100
humm to show the results of training, to show the charas grown up

Unbeatable Noob

16,700 Points
  • Hunter 50
  • Statustician 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
sTRANGE GoofY wEIRdo
Yeah you're right maybe we should do this one at a time. This is too much. Luffy wanting to protect his friends has been established from the very beginning. If at first he didn't want to make friends and decided to be a loner and then decided to become strong to protect them then that's a different story.

You have a problem with Aizen being overpower but you are okay with Toriko, lol. The horse king footprint's Aura was so intense after thousands of years. Like what. But we can talk about this later as well.

But what's wrong with a time compressing room to give you more time to train. In most manga we don't see people train and they are just naturally strong. The only time we saw Luffy train was in the time skip and for years we see luffy somehow beating stronger and stronger enemies like nothing. Crocodile got his a** kicked by luffy and he was suppose to be a warlord. What made Gear second stop hurting luffy and what made gear third stop shrinking him. But with Ichigo with see him get stronger and develop his powers and they explained. They didn't explain how luffy got gear second and third. What luffy decided to blow on his thumb and his arm got bigger.

When you say braided hair woman I assume you mean Unohana Yachiru/ I didn't like it. I actually was mad at Kubo for a while but someone explained to me that Kubo is just one person making bleach. So thinking of different powers and abilities could be hard for him. And it does make sense. The fight between Unohana and Kenpachi was pretty good and the finale of Kenpachi holding Unohona in her hands as she laid dying while he yelled her name was a nice touch as well.
Renji's new Bankai getting a new design wasn;t the most logical, I admit. But he went through training that was suppose to take years into days so the Bankai wouldn't fully acknowledge esepcailly how he got his asskicked most of the time. Most of the fanbase knew that Renji's Bankai design (including me) was going to get an upgraded form. Kubo probabbly decided maybe he should change it completely. Does it really matter if some people know the name of there sword. Some people are worthy and some people aren't. Not everyone needs a Devil fruit, not everyone needs Gourmnet cells and not everyone need to know Ninjustu.
Is that what happened to the captain whose shikai and bankai don't match? Please elaborate
In the fight with kenpachi Zangetsu said I can't stop your bleeding anymore this fight has to be over soon he was referring to Blut vene which stops blood loss. WHich was later introduce in the start of this arc. HereThis is a link that kubo foreshadow this

The thing you're saying about Yammato is the same thing that happened to whitebeard. They both got barely shown in the series and when they do something it's full of badass s**t they end up dying.We all knew Yammato was going to lose in that fight. he isn;t the main character so the moment we saw him fighting the final boss in the final arc his end was met already. He killed two quincies and saved Hisagi But when everything was getting destroyed because Yammato didn't save anything that's what made it so good. We were put in sense of danger because we don't know what to do or something like that. In the zanpokuto rebillion arc you see the vice captains zanpukto using lightning to attack shingami. It was said Kubo was in charge of designs of the zanpuktos. So it was hinted in a way. You can the same thing about devil fruits. It was never hinted the whitebeard had the shockwave devil fruit. It was never hinted that Sabo was alive It was never hinted that marco had the mythical zoan that NO ONE HEARD nothing about or even knew existed. But people still fangasm like OMG WTF what was that.
Also whitebeard never killed any navy soldiers. The only time someone died was in flashbacks. Ace and Whitebeard was the exception.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff