Reply *~Let the Fire Fall ~* A Christian Guild
baptism before communion

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

sunshinehearttrob

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 9:52 pm
just want to have your say in this. i think i know but still now sure. and if possible, just tells me how it feels like to be either baptize or participate in a communion, with the breaking of the bread and drinking of the wine. how does your life change after these events.

thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 5:57 am
I can say that, I have never ever been baptized, and I don’t go to church but I would like to.
Baptism and communion aren’t, wait, are semi-literally things, I am not going to say they aren’t literal, but they symbolize something. I have had communion, but the Pastor asked me if I understood what I was doing. And I had to explain it to him. Than he asked for my drivers licenses for the wine. Just kidding, sorry, little joke.

Baptism symbolizes washing away sins in water, and water is one of the purest things on Earth.

Communion symbolizes:
Bread, the Lords body.
Wine/Grape Juice: The Lord’s blood.

It shows that the body and the blood runs threw your body.

Hope this helps!  

dirtdevilgrunt13

Emikay

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 8:37 am
I personally took communion before I was baptized.
I accepted Jesus as my savior as a little girl, but my family stopped going to church shortly after.
Last October by best friend [now boyfriend] invited me to church with him, where I have gone ever since.
I took communion there when they would have it, since I understood the significance and symbolism.
But I was nervous about get baptized.

Then one day my friend was with us. She accepted Jesus into her heart that day and asked me to walk up front to the pastor with her and pray with her. So I did and after he finished talking to her about her decision, I took the oppurtunity to ask him to baptize me.

And on April 15th of this year I got baptized.
It was one of the happiest days of my life.
I felt like this huge veil was lifted from me and now that I had followed His commands I could begin growing my relationship with God even more and more.
It was a good feeling.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 9:40 pm
thanks you guys. i dont know, like i was in a service the other day. it was a great big chapel and when we starting praising the Lord, it was like huge and it just felt great. then the service began and finally communion. thats when the sinking feeling in my stomach began. and i figure i needed some answers from some very smart people.  

sunshinehearttrob

trinity343

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 5:59 am
yeah..as long as you've accepted Christ you can take communion at anypoint. i always try and make sure that i'm straight with God before hand (as in...i don't have any 'hidden' sin in me that i havn't confessed to him.) however that isn't a requirement just something i do. i pull my reasoning of this from 1 Corinthians 11:27-29

Therefore, whoever eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner will be guilty of sinning against the body and blood of the Lord. A Man ought to examine himself before he eats of the bread and drinks of the cup. For anyone who eats and drinks without recognizing the body of the Lord eats and drinks judgment on himself.

i guess you could say i more sit there and take with god and make sure my heart/focus is in the right place before i go up and take communion. it's different for everybody. however i do believer that nonbelievers shouldn't take communion due to the fact that their hearts cannot be right in the process of taking it without having known Christ first.

but the order of communion and baptism are not really important. it is if you have accepted Christ of not that is the only factor that makes a difference ni either case.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:25 am
In my Church, and many others, you must be baptized in order to recieve communion.  

GO-YAFFA

sunshinehearttrob

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 2:05 pm
GO-YAFFA
In my Church, and many others, you must be baptized in order to recieve communion.
i havent ask my pastor yet, but my pastor was right there, like maybe 3 pews away from me. and he didnt say anything, so i just assume, but i have to ask.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:18 am
GO-YAFFA

yeah i've been in a few churches like that. but i've found it just a tradition for the most part. i can see why though. maybe something to do with baptism showing that you are a believer to the church, but i know plenty of ppl who were baptized who were not true believers so...it can happen that even then the person is not a true believer. now i know this is not the case for the most part...just sometimes. although i'm finding it more often in as time goes on (although it doesn't help that the american church [as a whole] doesn't teach what it means to be a follower of Christ anymore).

as Paul said in 1 corinthians 11, it is not when we eat it but why we eat it and the state of our heart at the time of taking communion. if i'm remembering right it never says the original disciples were baptized so...it's not a super strong argument b/c know one know b/c it wasn't recorded if they were or not. just a thought

(i'm not trying to start a debate...just stating an observation)  

trinity343

Sarcastic_Angel

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 5:38 pm
growing up, I was always taught that I couldn't participate in communion unless I had been baptized. But then we changed churches and I now believe that in order to participate in communion all you need to do is know what it signifies. I have yet to be baptized, even though I accepted Jesus into my heart over 3 years ago, and I partake in communion whenever my church serves the portions. We have such a big congregation, we don't serve communion every Sunday.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 11:36 pm
In the church i grew up in, it was almost as if you were forced to accept God. Not in the mean way. (If there is a difference)
But you would get Baptized as a baby (to wash away the Original Sin)
And you would take classes every Sunday until you were in 7/8 grade. Which were very dull and a pain in the butt.
After your 2/3 year in CCD (the classes), you would receive Holy Communion in which you are now aloud to take communion and the wine.
Then in 7/8 grade you would get "conformed" and now you are an "offical" member of the church. and your classes would end

All i remember was that we were taught that the communion was the body and the wine the blood.

I havent truly accepted God until this year. And im still confused about this process.  

Dark_Candy

wiz_chan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:14 pm
I go to a chinese church and we've followed the custom that you should be baptized before you take communion. But now its as long as you have accepted Christ as your personal savior and you've confessed that you are a sinner, you can take communion even if you aren't baptized yet.  
*~Let the Fire Fall ~* A Christian Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games