Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Anlina
Crew

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 8:12 pm
Stuff you will need:
Tablet with pressure sensitive pen (I'm sure this tutorial can be done with a mouse - you'll have to figure that out for yourself though.)
Photoshop (I use CS2, but any version should be fine.)
A working knowledge of the Photoshop tools.
Avatar base body (I use a white mannequin body and a normal skin toned base with eyes.)

1. Before you begin your edit you should have a hairstyle in mind - decide what you're going to draw before you start drawing it, because this takes a bit of planning. Grab a reference photo or drawing if you like.

2. Place your base on a transparent layer - you won't be pixeling directly on your base at all. Name this layer "Base".

Create a layer above your base layer. Name this layer "Hair - Front".

If you are creating a long hairstyle that hangs behind the back and arms, create another layer below the base layer. Name it "Hair - Back".

3. Select a colour that is easy to see against your background and using the Pencil tool, start outlining your hair. While you are doing this, keep in mind the shape of the hair - draw in individual locks or pieces of hair if it helps you plan out how you are going to shade.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Hair that covers the top of the head and hangs over the face or body should be drawn on the Hair - Front layer. Hair that hangs behind the body or head (such as a pony tail or long, loose hair) should be placed on the Hair - Back layer.

I like to draw in most of the hair that would be in the back, but if you prefer you can just draw in the chunks that would be visible from the front view.

4. Now fill the entire outline with your solid colour.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

On your Layers menu lock the Transparency of the layer.

5. Next we are going to selectively outline your block of colour using the Burn tool.

For any other type of CG artwork I would not advocate using the Dodge and Burn tools for shading - the results generally look really awful. However they seem to work nicely for doing avatar edits. Proceed with caution though.

Burn
    Brush settings:
    Size: 1px
    Range: Highlights
    Exposure: 60%

6. Once the shape is outlined, we will start defining the shapes of the pieces of hair. Continue with the Burn tool on the same settings as above. Right now we will just worry about adding definition to the hair using lines.

Using the Paintbrush tool on 50% Opacity, fix any mistakes by touching up with your base colour.

You may need to unlock your layer Transparency and make small changes to the outline of your shape using the Eraser tool.

Eraser
    Brush settings:
    Mode: Pencil
    Opacity: 100%

For the Hair - Back layer, I like to add a large shadow over the top of the colour block. If you remove the base body the hair looks very wig like and the shapes on the Hair - Front layer are easier to see against the darker background.

7. Now the shape of the hair is defined, we will give it volume by adding shadows. Continue with the Burn tool at the same setting, start adding shadows to round out larger chunks of hair and make pieces of hair that are behind others appear to recede.

As you add shadows, you will need to darken up the lines that define the different pieces of hair, and your outline.

8. Now we will add highlights. We will do this using the Dodge tool in two stages, with two different settings.

Our first step is to brighten up pieces by increasing the brightness and saturation.

Dodge
    Brush settings:
    Range: Highlights
    Exposure: 30%

9. Next we will add white highlights for reflection - smooth hair is shiny and reflects light. Again we will use the Dodge tool but with different settings.

Dodge
    Brush settings:
    Range: Midtones/Shadows
    Exposure: 30%

Experiment with using the Dodge tool affecting Midtones and Shadows range. One may work better than the other, depending on how dark and saturated your hair is.

10. After adding the highlights I replace the white mannequin base with a regular avatar base, and use the eyes as a guide for drawing in eyebrows. I add these pixel by pixel, sampling colours from the hair.

11. You're pretty much done. Use the Dodge and Burn tools again to increase the contrast on the highlights and around the outline until you're happy with the piece.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 5:32 am
Anli, I love you. <3

First try. XD
I used a mouse... ^^;
No tablet.

Probably a bit too much shading- looks sorta...
3Dish. But other than that I rather like it. xD

Edit: User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
Second!

Lillypuff

Bashful Lover

17,675 Points
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Friendly 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100

Judyfay Sins

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 8:51 am
cool, I'll definitely use this  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:11 pm
Are this specific photoshop tools? or are it common toold also used in jasc paint shop (pro cool =3?  

LeannaAnne

LeannaAnne

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 12:23 pm
User Image
First try with paint shop 4laugh  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 4:21 am
Oh sweet. OO

*skitters off to Photoshop*

User Image

Witch of Rokkenjima
Crew

KitagawaJohnnysSlave

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 2:52 pm
omg now I wanna try this since I have a pen tablet. Well the thing that sucks is that I am in teh process of trying to install Photoshop, do you think that this would work somewhat as well in Paintshop pro?  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 3:50 pm
omg! Thank you! This works so much beter than anything else I've tried!  

Captain Kat

Divine Muse

15,800 Points
  • Supreme Supporter 500
  • Millionaire 200
  • Cash Grabber 500

M i n i C h a C h a

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 5:19 pm
blaugh  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 5:57 pm
thx  

sexystary

Anlina
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:08 pm
I'm glad so many people have found this helpful. I really enjoy seeing the work you guys have done using this tutorial. Keep up the good work guys.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 4:47 pm
floralsummoner
omg now I wanna try this since I have a pen tablet. Well the thing that sucks is that I am in teh process of trying to install Photoshop, do you think that this would work somewhat as well in Paintshop pro?

Well i could use it pretty much, but you can't follow the tutorial exact. but alot of tools are both in photoshop and paint shop, like the shadow type of burning biggrin  

LeannaAnne

princess-pippa1

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 5:37 am
thanks but how do make our avaters wear it? (item)  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:48 pm
wha! How cute! I should try it soon. biggrin

Thankies so much! ^3^  

Kairi-Strawberry

Fashionable Tycoon

6,825 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Trader 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100

Witch of Rokkenjima
Crew
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 11:06 am