Reply The United Martial Artists Guild
Flexibility in Martial Arts Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Mangafairy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:51 am
Some martial arts are great for flexibility like Tae Kwon Do, which is knows for its flexibility. So how do you get more flexible? Other than the usual methods....  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 4:00 pm
google.com

do some preliminary research on your own first.  

TaeKyon

Mangafairy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 12:38 pm
TaeKyon
google.com

do some preliminary research on your own first.

Have, except on Ask.com. I want to know what other martial-artist do.  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 4:37 pm
stretch 3 time s a day.  

Shin2

Mangafairy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 12:24 pm
Just general streching? I try to stand on my bed and let my legs go either side, it doesn't hurt (as much) that way, but it does work.

(Shin2, U also remind me of a character in the anime Naruto called Gaara dressed like that esp with the eyes biggrin )  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 12:33 pm
Mangafairy
Just general streching? I try to stand on my bed and let my legs go either side, it doesn't hurt (as much) that way, but it does work.

(Shin2, U also remind me of a character in the anime Naruto called Gaara dressed like that esp with the eyes biggrin )

Stretching on your bed? That's the best you can come up w/ stretching after researching the subject?...  

TaeKyon

Mangafairy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 12:37 pm
TaeKyon
Mangafairy

Stretching on your bed? That's the best you can come up w/ stretching after researching the subject?...

No, that's what I got advided to do by a TKD instructor who took a course of Kick Boxing and Self Defence classes at my secondary school, when he was strting he tried many ways to do the side splits and that's what he found best.  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 4:43 pm
Mangafairy
TaeKyon
Mangafairy

No, that's what I got advided to do by a TKD instructor who took a course of Kick Boxing and Self Defence classes at my secondary school, when he was strting he tried many ways to do the side splits and that's what he found best.

Haha...maybe that TKD instructor should of taken a basic course on anatomy and physiology if that's the best means of gaining flexibility he knows of.  

TaeKyon

ghostpalm

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 4:20 pm
uhhmm....front leg stretches...splits....side leg stretches....calve stretches....there are just so many you can do...-___-...  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 5:46 am
ghostpalm
uhhmm....front leg stretches...splits....side leg stretches....calve stretches....there are just so many you can do...-___-...

Yea, I practiced front streches and I can do the front splits quite well, but I am worse on my left leg because I mostly practised on my left leg. But I've been trying side splits for a while and they are sooooo much harder! biggrin  

Mangafairy

Mangafairy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 5:48 am
TaeKyon
Mangafairy
TaeKyon
Mangafairy

Haha...maybe that TKD instructor should of taken a basic course on anatomy and physiology if that's the best means of gaining flexibility he knows of.

That is what worked for HIM, I don't know if I could get the side splits that way, but he can do the complete side and front splits, hes very flexible because he teached it every day, that's what he does as a job.  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:44 pm
Mangafairy
TaeKyon
Mangafairy
TaeKyon
Mangafairy

That is what worked for HIM, I don't know if I could get the side splits that way, but he can do the complete side and front splits, hes very flexible because he teached it every day, that's what he does as a job.

What good is advice if you can't apply it yourself? Believe it or not, there is a scientifically efficient way of stretching which comes from understanding the anatomy rather than knowing different ways to stretch (so it's not just teaching someone how to stretch but to understand how to stretch)...but I don't need to tell you this because you've done your research like you said right?  

TaeKyon

Woglinde

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 10:35 pm
For side splits, just do a horse stance and gradually lower the hips and widen space between legs over time. Doing it this way has a few advantages:

*It teaches you how to position hips so the greater trochanters don't jam into the pelvis
*It mainly strengthens the adductors (inner thighs) and also the Quadriceps ( the "Leg triceps") so you can are less likely to injure them, (a weak muscle is more likely to strain itself or get pulled)

By the time you can hold a horse stance for 5 mins. with your groin is about 6 inches above the ground, you will be able to achieve a full side split without warm up (Still recomended you do though)

I'll build more on this when i'm not so damn sleepy.

By the way, before you do this exercise, do light groin/leg stretches, such as lowering into a side split and alternating between tensing and relaxing the affected muscles as you lower down to your current limit. And be sure you build yourself up by starting light, increasing the intensity with each training session, much better for your body that way.  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 7:39 pm
If you want to strecth for a side kick, find an elevated spot. (Couch, shelf, table...etc.) Put your leg on there at the best side kick position you can, then touch your toes with your hands, just as a normal strecth on the ground.  

Kitsune_Moon230

The Draken

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 3:20 pm
What are you looking to strech out? The traditional keeping your legs straight, feet together, and touching the floor works.
There's also splits, but I find one foot-streching (reaching for one foot, while one leg is tucked in) to work better for me.
If you're working on kicks, try leaning against a wall with one hand, having your base-foot turned to the proper angle, and holding out your leg in the CORRECT position for long periods of time. You can slowly increase your height. This will help your flexibility as well as your kicks.
And practice deep, correct stances.
If you want to go the extra mile, try taking some gymnastics classes.

The United Martial Artists Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff