Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Shounen Ai and Yaoi Guild

Back to Guilds

A Guild dedicated to discussing Yaoi and Boy Love. 

Tags: yaoi, shounen ai, boy love, anime, manga 

Reply [News Flash!]_______Official News about Conventions, Releases
First gay super hero with his own ongoing comic book series

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Will you read it
  Yes
  No
View Results

LadyNox
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 12:02 pm
I should have posted this months ago. But then again, I didn’t realize it was an ongoing series until a few weeks ago so….

Wildstorm comics has released the first ongoing superhero series with a gay main character. The book will be called Midnighter, after the main character. Midnighter, created by Warren Ellis (Transmetropolitan, Planetary) and Bryan Hitch (Ultimates, Dr. Who), first appeared in a series called Stormwatch and later became part of The Authority. Though he has been in many mini series, this is the first time he will get his own solo book. Since the beginning he has identified as homosexual and is even married to co-hero, Apollo. They have been known by fans, affectionately by some, as the gay Batman and the gay Superman.

Garth Ennis (Punisher, Preacher) began writing Midnighter, but because of a disagreement with Wildstorm, he has left after completing the current story arc. Issue #6 will be taken over by acclaimed comic book writer, Brian K. Vaughn (Ex Machina, Y The Last Man).

I’m really excited about Vaughn taking over the book. It’s going to so rock. Not that it didn‘t rock before. I liked Ennis. But Vaughn is just so damn awesome.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 6:45 pm
"Young Avengers" (Marvel) characters Teddy and Billy are gay and outed, but I'm not sure about the quality of the series. They are main characters, so that counts for something! I, particularly, like the art. It's all bright and everything.

(obviously not an american comics fan, but I tried)  

Scribraven

LadyNox
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 8:05 pm
Billy and Teddy were never really in a closet to begin with. ^^;;; Well not to the readership anyway. XD However they're not the first gay superheroes to ever appear in a team book. I think Northstar wins that title (along with first gay superhero ever XD). Midnighter's the first to have a book all his own.Just about him. Not some straight people and him. :3 It's awesome that there's an ongoing superhero comic that completely focuses on a gay character. heart

On the subject Young Avengers of though. That book is so good. <3 If you want to read it, there are all ready 2 compilations out. So you don't even have to hunt down the issues. Just buy the graphic novels, which I have linked above. Jim Cheung is a great artist and Allan Heinberg writes everyone so well. I'm in love!  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 1:01 pm
im a huge fan of both series and i love that there are so many out gay superheros & heroines in mainstream comics now  

Kreature_Feature

Skizzors
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 3:12 pm
I finally started reading The Authority. Gonna finish it up before I start with Midnighter. Once I'm caught up on the trades of that, I'll look into some spinoffs or whatever.. Middy is so cool  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:58 pm
I'm going to have to find this and read this. It sounds really interesting. Well, Greg Wiseman outted Lex from Gargoyles and they're kind of superheros just not of the human kind. I heard he even has a relationship with another homosexual (not sure if he's human or not) in the comics.  

smileontheedge

Mistina60

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:17 pm
The series is alright but the new writers totally raped Apollo's character. I preferred them much better while Ellis was still writing.

To smileontheedge: When did he out Lex? I've heard rumours about it but couldn't confirm it.  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:41 am
Mistina60
The series is alright but the new writers totally raped Apollo's character. I preferred them much better while Ellis was still writing.
... yeah. gonk crying Ellissss ilu.  

Skizzors
Crew

[News Flash!]_______Official News about Conventions, Releases

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas