Reply The United Martial Artists Guild
The True Martial Artist Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Shin2

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 9:58 pm
What does it mean to be a true martial artist? To be balanced? Or to be a really good fighter? I have been questioning this for quite some time...Does the martial artist seek harmony and almost a mind state of tranquility? Or to be strong and dependent on his skill. Discuss what you think what it means to be a True Martial Artist.

"(Art)... rescues us from our self chosen triviality, to which we are so prone. It is like a deep organ note that makes my hair stir and a shiver run through me. I 'pull back' from life, like a camera taking a long shot with a wide angle lens. I quite simply become aware of more reality than before." -Colin Wilson  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 9:15 am
Again, you don't need to be a Martial Artist in order to be a fighter, but you to be a fighter in order to be a Martial Artist.

However, today the MA community is comprised of people who either don't want it to be about fighting or just can't fight. They take away credit from the people who deserve it more, and they do it without putting their money where their money is. Is it humility that drives this? No, it's a combination of fear, mysticism and cultish behavior. And what's sad is they somehow can justify this in their heads.

THE MARTIAL ART COMMUNITY TODAY IS FILLED WITH PUSSIES!

Let me give you an example of how this works today.

Two guys start are discussing Martial Arts. One is a Boxer and the other is a Wing Chun (_ing _un lawl).

Wing Chun: We don't actually punch people. That would be dangerous and it would hurt/kill the other people if we actually tried to spar.

Boxer: What? That's kind of dumb. Just wear gloves. That's what we do.

Wing Chun: Yeah but they're aren't gloves on the street. And that's all we train for. Not for sport.

Boxer: That's retarded. How do you get any better?

Wing Chun: Sifu tells us, duh. Sport is barbaric. It hurts people, and MA isn't about hurting people. Besides, what do you know? You're not even a Martial Artist. You're just a brawler.

And that's how it works. These "Martial Artists" criticize those that use sport to gauge and increase skill.

Martial Artist is pretty much a nerd term nowadays and is interchangable with "Kid who does TKD" and "Person who can't fight". It's a shame, but it can't be helped.

Shuma-Gorath

Shin2

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 12:44 pm
Wow, interesting.  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 1:21 pm
Shuma-Gorath
Again, you don't need to be a Martial Artist in order to be a fighter, but you to be a fighter in order to be a Martial Artist.

However, today the MA community is comprised of people who either don't want it to be about fighting or just can't fight. They take away credit from the people who deserve it more, and they do it without putting their money where their money is. Is it humility that drives this? No, it's a combination of fear, mysticism and cultish behavior. And what's sad is they somehow can justify this in their heads.

THE MARTIAL ART COMMUNITY TODAY IS FILLED WITH PUSSIES!

Let me give you an example of how this works today.

Two guys start are discussing Martial Arts. One is a Boxer and the other is a Wing Chun (_ing _un lawl).

Wing Chun: We don't actually punch people. That would be dangerous and it would hurt/kill the other people if we actually tried to spar.

Boxer: What? That's kind of dumb. Just wear gloves. That's what we do.

Wing Chun: Yeah but they're aren't gloves on the street. And that's all we train for. Not for sport.

Boxer: That's retarded. How do you get any better?

Wing Chun: Sifu tells us, duh. Sport is barbaric. It hurts people, and MA isn't about hurting people. Besides, what do you know? You're not even a Martial Artist. You're just a brawler.

And that's how it works. These "Martial Artists" criticize those that use sport to gauge and increase skill.

Martial Artist is pretty much a nerd term nowadays and is interchangable with "Kid who does TKD" and "Person who can't fight". It's a shame, but it can't be helped.

Hahaha! Speaks the truth! Amen!  

TaeKyon

Keyboard Warrior

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 9:57 pm
Again, I must say the following:

MIYAMOTO MUSASHI!

Oh and I would like to know whether Shuma-Gorath is the same Shuma-Gorath from Bullshido.net.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 9:11 am
I just dont read his posts any more. Thats the great thing about the scroll function. smile

As far as i'm conscerned, to be a martial artist means one thing. To devote yourself fully to the perfection of your art.  

Roninofthewest

Shuma-Gorath

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 9:42 am
Roninofthewest
I just dont read his posts any more. Thats the great thing about the scroll function. smile

As far as i'm conscerned, to be a martial artist means one thing. To devote yourself fully to the perfection of your art.
You see, the funny thing is that your opinion still doesn't matter. And you're still wrong.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 3:42 pm
Keyboard Warrior
Again, I must say the following:

MIYAMOTO MUSASHI!

Oh and I would like to know whether Shuma-Gorath is the same Shuma-Gorath from Bullshido.net.

The bolded still needs an answer -looks at shuma-  

Keyboard Warrior

Bruce Lee52

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 6:34 pm
I think it means being the best you can be, trying to improve your skill while still having a tranquil state.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 2:22 pm
Bruce Lee52
I think it means being the best you can be, trying to improve your skill while still having a tranquil state.
Same Here.  

Shin2

TaeKyon

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:41 pm
Bruce Lee52

That doesn't make any sense. Stimulus, resistance, hardship, challenge are required for growth. Consider, in order to increase your strength, muscles have to resist against weights. In order for bones to harden, they have to be placed under stress for them to remodel (Wolff's law). In order to increase your maximum heartrate, you have to challenge your lungs w/ high intensity workouts. In order to become a better fighter, you have to compete against resisting and better opponents.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 3:47 pm
TaeKyon
Bruce Lee52

That doesn't make any sense. Stimulus, resistance, hardship, challenge are required for growth. Consider, in order to increase your strength, muscles have to resist against weights. In order for bones to harden, they have to be placed under stress for them to remodel (Wolff's law). In order to increase your maximum heartrate, you have to challenge your lungs w/ high intensity workouts. In order to become a better fighter, you have to compete against resisting and better opponents.

I think he means tranqillness of mind and spirit, not necisarelly calm all the time or relaxed. You have a point though, where are you getting this information?  

Roninofthewest

stardaughterofwind

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 12:22 pm
Roninofthewest

Aye, I agree with you. Pour yourselfe into your art and you will go far.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 6:49 pm
oh yes, the useage of the wonderful scrolling system at hand.... rolleyes

well, I find that the true martial artist is someone who gets knocked down, fails, gets made fun of for what they do, and yet still manages to control their temper, and yet throught it all keeps going and puts up with it and continues to perservere throughout it all.

The true martial artist isn't someone who is the best martial artist, it's the one who gets back up and keeps going after getting knocked down, mentally and physically.

oh, and I don't think shuma-gorath really knows what it means to be a p***y.

It means you're a girl. and where I come from, being female is not a bad thing, and if you hit like a girl, you can bring down the ceiling when you get mad by kicking a doorframe.  

nightwing773

Keyboard Warrior

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:36 am
....you take the term "p***y" too literally. Shuma is correct when he says the vast majority of "martial" artists ARE pussies. This whole mixture of pacifism with blatantly violent techniques is pure and utter bullshit IMO. It gives too many wimps an excuse to NOT train the way most arts are meant to be trained and NOT to test out their techniques(even in friendly, full contact sparring sessions). "Martial" artists who do nothing but strike at the air and are unwilling to get down and dirty with alive, resistant training are undeserving of the title.

So basically, if you're so afraid of being hit that you leave it out of your training, you're a p***y and are far from being a true martial artist.  
The United Martial Artists Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff