*~Let the Fire Fall ~* A Christian Guild

Back to Guilds

Reply Debate and Discussion
Courting Vs. Dating Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Do you support courting, dating, or both?
  Courting
  Dating
  Both
View Results

Battousai Akuma

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:45 am
I also don't see what the problem is with casual dating...as long that is the only thing that is casual. To answer the question I would say both. Dating is good to find what your likes and dislikes in someone are (of course you will no find a perfect person). And courting I see is when you find that special one. I kinda have a quesrtion is courting just dating in order to be married at the end or is it more to it? For instance like no kissing or something like that.  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:34 am
Hittokiri04
I also don't see what the problem is with casual dating...as long that is the only thing that is casual. To answer the question I would say both. Dating is good to find what your likes and dislikes in someone are (of course you will no find a perfect person). And courting I see is when you find that special one. I kinda have a quesrtion is courting just dating in order to be married at the end or is it more to it? For instance like no kissing or something like that.

yes  

PoppyDadswell

sunshinehearttrob

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 4:33 pm
at my age (high schooler) i support dating. maybe later in life, courting. but i just want to explore my opinions and get to know people now, not look for a future husband.  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 3:27 pm
Guacamole-kun
Cometh The Inquisitor
I believe that, in this situation, the polic y 'whatever floats your boat' is the correct policy to take.

All people are different and that means that they are all not compatible with any one means of finding a partner. As long as common sense and biblical morality are used, then court, date, or what-have-you.

Couldn'ta said it better! ^^
Both are great ways of finding a mate, but both can have unfortunate outcomes if you don't use common sense and good judgment, or if you're simply inexperienced. Like with a lot of things, really. :3

Yes, I couldn't agree more! However one finds the perfect mate for them is what matters, as long as it is a Godly relationship.  

Aidan Drake

pnai_pride777

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 1:41 pm
hmm i say courting first especially when looking for a kind companion 3nodding

courting you can do for many years. when you think about it if that person is actaully waiting that long to hear your yes then that person is willing to wait for you. thats how strong they're feeling for you is. its that they wont give up. and if or once you say yes then a date it shall be 3nodding  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 2:20 pm
Dating comes before courting. When you are courting, it is the step right before becoming engaged.  

nat.wwjd.09

PoppyDadswell

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 4:08 pm
nat.wwjd.09
Dating comes before courting. When you are courting, it is the step right before becoming engaged.

actually courting was 1st.dating is a new concept.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:02 pm
I find the idea courting silly. It's completely outdated and doesn't fit today's society.

Sure, romanticize it all you want with Bible verses and stuff, but it doesn't fit. Communities today are far more different than they were a hundred years ago and before that -- you meet strangers all the time, everyone does NOT know everyone, and it seems people are associating the word 'dating' with 'bad relationships' and 'pre-marital sex'.

Courting was back when women didn't have very many rights, if any. Courting was back when there were arranged marriages more often than not. Dating is more of a personal freedom to chose. Courting is too much commitment for one budding relationship -- just because you share the same religious beliefs with someone does not mean that you can TRUST them.  

xxxdeletemexxx

PoppyDadswell

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 6:46 am
Mizer Manakins
I find the idea courting silly. It's completely outdated and doesn't fit today's society.

Sure, romanticize it all you want with Bible verses and stuff, but it doesn't fit. Communities today are far more different than they were a hundred years ago and before that -- you meet strangers all the time, everyone does NOT know everyone, and it seems people are associating the word 'dating' with 'bad relationships' and 'pre-marital sex'.

Courting was back when women didn't have very many rights, if any. Courting was back when there were arranged marriages more often than not. Dating is more of a personal freedom to chose. Courting is too much commitment for one budding relationship -- just because you share the same religious beliefs with someone does not mean that you can TRUST them.

when courting you can learn to trust & heart that person and while courting you know that your partner will not two-time you or expect casual sex.i know that those who date are under pressure to have sex.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 7:07 am
Speaking as someone who has experienced both (and married the last man who courted her) I can say both have their places. Courting isn't a word used much today, but it is still done. It's when things have gone from "let's go have some fun, get something to eat or whatever, together" to "let's you and I really get to know each other, only each other, and discover if marriage would work for us." Both relationships can get out of hand if you let them (touching inappropriately based on your beliefs, but I don't think that is the topic here). Both relationships have their rewards. And on a personal note, I'm still friends with a couple of guys who "courted" me unsuccessfully (we never married), though we are not close friends. We don't hang out or chat much, mostly just "hi, how are you, good to see you" if we run into each other. Not akward but not close. Hope that helps.  

Faith Fairy

Crew

Blessed Fairy

9,025 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Dressed Up 200

SinfulGuillotine

Perfect Trash

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 2:06 pm
PoppyDadswell
Mizer Manakins

when courting you can learn to trust & heart that person and while courting you know that your partner will not two-time you or expect casual sex.i know that those who date are under pressure to have sex.
You can learn to trust and love someone throught dating them, too.

And whether or not they expect sex or two-time you depends way more on the person that it does on whether or not you're courting or dating.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 5:09 am
SinfulGuillotine
PoppyDadswell
Mizer Manakins

You can learn to trust and love someone throught dating them, too.

And whether or not they expect sex or two-time you depends way more on the person that it does on whether or not you're courting or dating.

true,but with dating there is sometimes to pressure to have casual sex.  

PoppyDadswell

Black.Irish.Kero.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:48 pm
I currently have a boyfriend and we have been dating for nearly two years. Both of us are STRONG Christians and have been following and listening to God for our relationship. He is very first in our relationship, always.

I just made a forum about marriage, and the book of Timothy. I have a ?, so please check it out! Thanks.

I LOVE JESUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 3:27 am
I like both ideas about the same. The problem for me with courting is just how to ask a girl to court with you. I mean, you want to take someone out for coffee, you say "Hey, mind if I take you for a Starbucks after class?". As for courting, I don't think "I would like to enter a serious relationship with you, and have the option to eventually marry you."  

Killroy Two Point Oh

freelance lover

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:30 am
I support both, though courting really isn't for me. I'm the kind of person and I (usually) take an extremely long time to get attached to a guy in a romantic way. So if a guy was interested in courting me, there's a good chance he would come on too strong and I would lose interest since I hate it when guys bend every whim to please me in a relationship.

That being said- I do pretty much want to marry my best friend, so getting close in a friendship type way could prehaps be considered courting though without the label.

I do feel like God needs to be the center of a relationship, but I'm not opposed to dating around. It gives you a feel for who you are and aren't compatible with and as long as both parties understand its just casual dating I don't see the harm in it.

I think, in essance, it pretty much comes down to you style.

And just putting this out there- just because you're dating it doens't mean you're under pressure to have sex. It really depends on who your dating. I have never been pressured to having sex, ever. Heck, I think sometimes in courting you can rationalize pre-marital sex by saying "Well, we're going to get married eventually."

Debate and Discussion

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff