Welcome to Gaia! ::

Wicca: Blessed Be

Back to Guilds

For anyone interested in Wicca, Paganism, or Witchcraft 

Tags: Wicca, Pagan, Witchcraft, New Age, Community 

Reply The Academy - - [classes, how-to's, guides] - - Ostara/Mabon Party! Join us!
[Guide] Altars and Tools

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Lysdexic Lolerskate

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 3:40 pm
NOTE: This class/discussion is no longer taught/led by a teacher. However, please feel free to read through it and ask any questions that you may have or express any thoughts/opinions you have. Just please don't ask, "Can I join the class?" Because the answer is 'no'. Thank you.

Altars and Tools
Teacher: Fenrir Fenris

In this class, I plan to help inform people on anything and almost everything there is to learn about altars and tools. I'm sure you are all quite familiar with some knowledge of these things but for those who aren't so informed, I ask that you take what I have put here and put it towards your knowledge. Don't take it word for word and say that this is the only way things can be! I wouldn't want that at all. This information has been gathered from books as well as from my knowledge of Wicca for the 14ish years I've been practicing.

Altar History

Some scholars think that the first altars were actually tombs of the dead where offerings were made to a defied ancstor. Others believe that the idea of the altar came from the Pagan belief that the newly deceased were gathered on the borders to fhte sky, under the constellation called Ara, meaning "The Altar". Ara lies in the Milky way, south of Scorpius, and is well to the south of the celestial equator. The ancient Greeks visualized it as the altar on which the gods swore an oath of alligance before challenging the Titans for control of the universe. The word "altar" comes from a Latin word tha translates to "on high". We could put a variety of meanings into this terminology--from a physically high place, to a seat in the stars, to the more esoteric meaning of consecrating a sacred area that sits between the worlds of human and diety, enabling the human to work with diety on the diety's level from where the Witch physically stands. Ancient altars were often made of stone or, if constructed of wood, held some type of stone surface in the center. Many were carved or painted with symbols of animals or dieties. It was during the various Inquisitons that the Witch altar took on a more lurid, negative roll--in inappropriate and inaccurate representation of the Craft altar--that was reflected in many horror movies from the 1940's through the 70's, feeding the inaccurate, sensationalist information to the general public. During a few modern Craft ceremonies, a person's body may become the altar for a few moments to meld them with the elemental and divine energies so that in the future they may work more easily through space and time; however, sacrifices and rampant sexual excursions, as shown in the movies, are NOT part of Wiccan dogma.

Altar Design

For as many magickal people as there are in the world, there are an equal number of altar designs. A magickal altar is normally a flat surface that becomes the focus of spells, rituals, and daily devotionsal activities. The altar is a place of power; over time, it will collect all the positive energy that manifests while doing magickal work. An altar can be made out of any material, and quite a few magickal use the furniture they already have in their homes rather than buy or build a new altar (espically when they are first learning). Your altar can be the top of your bedroom dresser, a coffee table, or a night stand. A home entertainment center with compartments of various sizes and movable shelves is an excellent choice, as longs as you remember to watch burning candles. You need at least three feet of air space for any flame to the next shelf. If not, you can scorch the wood and set the furniture on fire. You may choose to use a portable altar instead, something that can be packed away when not in use, such as the top of a trunk, a flat board, or a pice of glagstone that you can push under your bed.

Please take time to read and reflect on this. If you have any other questions feel free to ask.

Altar Examples

Here are some examples of altars I found, which I like a lot. Some are fancy and some are simple. This is your space, it can be as big or as small as you want it. Don't go over on your budget just to make your altar look like a masterpiece. Put it together as you go. I've spent well over a year getting things for my altar, so don't worry too much. And I realize that many of you reading are kids (under 21) and still live with parents. If your parents don't approve about you practicing Wicca, but still want an altar, feel free to make it descret. You don't have to wall your room with pentacles, you can have small representations of the elements, like a collection of trinkets. Feathers, sea shells, candles, a pot of flowers, etc.

Altar 1

Altar 2

Altar 3

Here are some ideas of free standing altars. Wall altars and "hidden" altars will be up shortly.

Note: Please excuse any typos, I'm a bad typer and I did not major in english! Feel free to ask questions or put up your insight on the topic.

sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 3:56 pm
there is a site i will get it but it teaches you how to make your alter and tools  

penelope_2121

Aurellion

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:26 am
To add to the altar design:

You can have your altar on large speakers. I know you're not usually meant to have technology in a circle, in between the worlds, but more often than not the energy from the music playing will add to whatever you're doing. smile

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 8:21 pm
blaugh Great ideas!  

Lysdexic Lolerskate

Lysdexic Lolerskate

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 3:28 pm
Aurellion
To add to the altar design:

You can have your altar on large speakers. I know you're not usually meant to have technology in a circle, in between the worlds, but more often than not the energy from the music playing will add to whatever you're doing. smile
THere are those who don't like speakers used inside the circle, but I personally just pop in my iPod and play some music I find relaxing and you would be amazed at the energy I can pull up. So, using speakers is a great idea. smile  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 10:34 pm
I have two alters one i use when i'm at my dads it's just the cover of my travel wicca box. The other is whear i normaly keep every thing it's a large dark oak wooden desk that is soooo pritty and has lots of places to put stuff.  

Nymphidora

Supportive Alchemist

11,050 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Party Member 100
  • Cat Fancier 100

buwieshingo

Durem Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:39 pm
I'm going to use my floor as my altar after learning some more and doing some more things. I'm one of the few who is stretched for money so I have to gather mine over a period.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:01 pm
Your third example doesn't really work... sad

As in, I can't open it on the interwebs. sad  

Ketmie

Starlock

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:12 am
I like to consider aesthetics as much as functionality. Nothing bugs me more than a cluttered altar. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 7:40 pm
I don't know if this is the place to put it but there is a Live Journal community called Pimp my altar and people will post pictures of their altars and sacred spaces. Some are very lovely to look at.  

Fer is caffeinated

byeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Comrade

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 8:49 pm
User Imageρℓαgυε яαтs αη∂ вℓσσ∂ч cяυмρεтs...

I've moved around a lot so I always have to re-do my altar. I've added lots of things to it over the past coupe years. It's very much free-form and personal. I usually keep it in the center of my dresser. I hang pictures and pieces of poetry and quotes on the wall above it.

Status >in want of arts

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 6:16 am
ooo thanks so much this really helped me biggrin  

shadowly darkness

FinalGrimoire

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 6:50 pm
I need an altar I can very easily hide until I can move out...
Any ideas?  
The Academy - - [classes, how-to's, guides] - - Ostara/Mabon Party! Join us!

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games