They're incredibly easy to solve
  All of the above
  What's a Rubix Cube?
View Results

Nadian
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:29 pm
Wow, I don't make polls that often.

If you do not know what a Rubix Cube is, simply put, it's a three-dimension puzzle with a simple setup:
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

I suspect that many of you, at some point, have hit your head trying to solve these. I'm willing to bet that somebody else here can solve them. (At this point, you don't have to read the rest if you want to comment.)

Me and Rubix Cubes go back a long way...

~ripple~ ~ripple~ ~ripple~
***Cheesy Flashback Effect***
~ripple~ ~ripple~ ~ripple~

While growing up, we had a Rubix Cube that we couldn't solve... except for mom. If I recall correctly, she would say it'd take her about an hour. Maybe it only seemed like an hour.

Anyways, one fateful year, the swim team decided to host a huge garage sale with donated items. I even remember where the house all the stuff was sold is. (Although the last time I saw that family... well, parents had alcohol problems and they were behind on paying the swim team monthly payments... gack...) Anyways, at some point during that sale there was a Rubix Cube in bad condition. Stickers missing or colors too numerous. However, while playing with it, I suddenly realized I was better able to think in three dimensions! I was better at thinking a little ahead and what impact that would have on some other parts.

Before that day was over I was able to solve one side. However, playing with it after that I was only able to get one side and the row touching the side. At this point, I knew I understood the cube a bit better and I began asking my mom how she solved it. Little by little, she taught me what she remembered. Apparently, she had learned it from a book that came with the cube. I can't help but think that was a good long time ago.

Anyways, after spending weeks (maybe a month) playing playing playing with the moves I had learned, eventually she had taught me all of them and I simply practiced solving the cube on my own.

Right now, the cube of choice is one we got while on a family vacation of sorts. Mom and dad found some Rubix Cubes for sale and got one. The booklet there contained a strategy for solving the cube but I thought it was pretty bad. (I still do.) The cube itself was a little odd. Basically, it's a little flimsier, so if you've got fast yet quick hands you can turn really fast, although it's also really easy to not quite go the right distance (or go a little too far) and you can't rotate another side. Also, it's interesting in that the green is on the opposite side of the blue where-as on what I considered to be normal Rubix Cubes the white is opposite the blue. Oh well, not a big difference.

People didn't believe me when I started telling them it really was easy and that the strategy isn't that hard at all. I managed to teach two people... my brother Joe and Jshin (that's his Gaia name... he started posting recently.) I showed them and even told them abstractly why I was doing each move (not each twist, though, since even each twist of a move is somewhat enigmatic to me.)

By the way... if you show it to young girls who have too many stickers... well, yeah, they put stickers all over it. Those are still on it, even. (Same thing happened to my youngest brother's DS thanks to his female friends, hehehe.) Funny thing about the stickers though... after they were put on people started wondering if I was maybe tricking them by using the stickers somehow. (It's kind of funny because you don't need stickers; it really is made of distinct parts with distinct positions so at best the stickers could only be training wheels.)

But yeah... I hadn't solved a Rubix Cube in a couple of years, but when I tried shortly after brining THE cube to my office... well, my hands sort of remembered the moves even though I conciously didn't. sweatdrop I had to slow down to figure out what I was explicitly doing...

Ah, but the fun... the memories...  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:32 pm
my friend beats them in like 1 minute not the whole thing just like one color  

beebtch

Nadian
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:35 pm
snowmuncher
my friend beats them in like 1 minute not the whole thing just like one color

I never did give an estimate for how long it takes me to solve them?

It only takes a couple of minutes to completely solve them, although being able to solve the first side should be pretty quick (20-30 seconds maximum, I think.)  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:36 pm
My mom took one apart once with a hammer. She found it was made with rubber bands. 3nodding

I'm good at getting one or two sides solid colors, but not more than three. xd  

Zphal
Captain

Shameless Humorist

24,750 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Guildmember 100

Nadian
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:42 pm
zphal_girl87
My mom took one apart once with a hammer. She found it was made with rubber bands. 3nodding

Really, after solving one side you need some "moves" (IE combinations of twists) in order to proceed without messing yourself up. There's some interestingly simplistic moves that can accomplish some rather daunting tasks (mostly impressive when you're down to solving the "bottom."  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:43 pm
I was able to completely figure out the top two rows all on my own. Never got further than that. That was a while ago, I dunno if I could do it anymore.  

A Skepty
Vice Captain

Dapper Elocutionist

beebtch

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:49 pm
when i was younger i thought you could just remove the stickers and just put them together lol!  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:55 pm
snowmuncher
when i was younger i thought you could just remove the stickers and just put them together lol!
stare cheater...  

crazydude444292

beebtch

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 10:04 pm
crazydude444292
snowmuncher
stare cheater...

i never did it though! quote on quote "i thought" key word stare  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 10:12 pm
snowmuncher
crazydude444292
snowmuncher
stare cheater...

i never did it though! quote on quote "i thought" key word stare
oh...
well i take it back...  

crazydude444292

Iris_16

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 3:11 am
I want to smash them then assemble them in color.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 6:22 am
i don't have the patience for them..i've tried and can do one side the same color but the rest nope  

Black_Widow87

Strideo
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 6:50 am
*peels all the color stickers off of Nadian's Rubix Cube and runs away*  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 7:20 am
There's a guy in my guild who can finish a Rubix cube in about 1o seconds to a minute.

User Image

Alexaandraa

Deciare

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 4:06 pm
I spent countless hours wondering how they were made so that both the horizontal and vertical axes could rotate without interfering with each other's motion... I never tried taking it apart, though.

My relationship with Rubix cubes actually involved more wondering about how they moved than trying to solve any of them. xd

zphal_girl87

Ooh! That knowledge is golden!  
"GAH" ♦♣Games and Hangouts ♠♥

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas