Welcome to Gaia! ::

Galactic Empire: The Official Star Wars Guild

Back to Guilds

The Official Star Wars guild since it's creation nearly 8 years ago. Join the Empire, be part of the legacy. 

Tags: Star Wars, Official, Jedi, Sith, Empire 

Reply The Second Imperium
The Imperial War Room Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Sol Walker
Crew

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 9:32 am
I think Aurek, Besh, and Dora batteries have this in hand.
You know, unless they go into tunnels.
Then we have to go after them. Which will suck.
Thank goodness for flamethrowers, grenades, combat droids and armored Tractor dozers.  
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 9:35 am
Does anyone know how Lyran troopers are equipped? What sort of body armor do they have? Do they have respirators, fully sealed suits, or are they given a helmet, blast vest, and a blaster?  

stellarmagic

Sol Walker
Crew

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 9:43 am
I think they have moderate body armor (Helmet, chestplate, arm and leg guards) a blaster rifle, and a few grenades, with seargeants and other NCOs equiped with vibro swords
Since they're Sith troops, I expect them to be armored as such until proven otherwise.
This is the most recent Sith Trooper armor:
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/File:Sith_Troopers_Great_Wars.jpg  
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 11:22 am
Cale Darksun
I think they have moderate body armor (Helmet, chestplate, arm and leg guards) a blaster rifle, and a few grenades, with seargeants and other NCOs equiped with vibro swords
Since they're Sith troops, I expect them to be armored as such until proven otherwise.
This is the most recent Sith Trooper armor:
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/File:Sith_Troopers_Great_Wars.jpg

1.) I was waiting for someone to ask this...

2.) The Great War was many millenia before this. It is highly unlikely that the exact same type of armor is still being used.

3.) Like many of the systems under Sith control, Lyra is a feudal state largely independent of the rest. (Think medieval Europe or Japan) Therefore, their armor, tactics, and weaponry are likely to be far different than the galactic norm. For example, the standard Lyran soldier is equipped with:

Respirators and Fully sealed suits (Remember the environment...)
Moderate body, arm, and leg armor
A blaster rifle
A heavy blaster pistol
3 sonic grenades
2 concussion grenades
And a Lyran Energy shield (Think a more modern version of the Gungan's shields)

Like with every army there are specialized troops that differ from this standard, but that really goes without saying. Troops that carry equipment large enough to make use of the Lyran Energy shield ineffective carry a standard personal energy shield.

4.) For any who are interested, here's another pic of the Great War Sith Troopers...

Skyeborne

Dapper Raider

750 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Cart Raider 100
  • Gaian 50

stellarmagic

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 11:30 am
I figured the fully sealed suits would be a requirement for operating on Yag'Dhul. I was hoping you'd not remembered that so I could use phosphorous, I doubt such a weapon would have hurt the Givins.

So what we've got are troopers equipped with full body plastic or ceramic body armor and an energy shield. Good thing I'm not a huge fan of blasters.

Body Count Commandos use quite a variety of equipment, but be prepared for full body suits of various manufacturers and that a small percentage of the commandos include Echani and Mando'a, perhaps only one or two per strike team. Considering the environment and the possibility that some of the Givin have taken up arms alongside the sith I've already decided that the commando teams will be issued armor-piercing weapons.  
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 11:42 am
How does one have a more modern version of a gungan shield, when the time is several thousand years before TPM? lol  

Nelowulf
Vice Captain

Codger

6,200 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200

Skyeborne

Dapper Raider

750 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Cart Raider 100
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 11:50 am
Nelowulf
How does one have a more modern version of a gungan shield, when the time is several thousand years before TPM? lol

Because even 1,500 years after this RP, the Gungans were still considered very primitive. I didn't say it was a more modern version, anyway, I said think of it as if it was a more modern version. (As far as looks and function goes...)  
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 11:52 am
The TOR Sith troopers irritate me so much. Freaking bucket helmets.  

Rodyn

Skyeborne

Dapper Raider

750 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Cart Raider 100
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 11:56 am
stellarmagic
Body Count Commandos use quite a variety of equipment, but be prepared for full body suits of various manufacturers and that a small percentage of the commandos include Echani and Mando'a, perhaps only one or two per strike team.

I have a similar set-up for mine. Remember, Fury's Mandos did spend a few years training the elite of my army. The most effective of which are in the Crimson Guard, but you guys haven't run into them yet...

Also, for every Lyran soldier there's at least 2 Mark V Sentinel Droids, and for every twelve of them there's a Mark IV Assault Droid.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 12:05 pm
Aurin_Starkiller
Nelowulf

Because even 1,500 years after this RP, the Gungans were still considered very primitive. I didn't say it was a more modern version, anyway, I said think of it as if it was a more modern version. (As far as looks and function goes...)

So were many other things when looked back upon 1500 years later. That's the point. in this era, they'd not be 'primitive'. Much like the crappy non-holonet communications, piss poor hyperdrives, and such, of course they'd be viewed as primitive come ANH.

Jedi and Sith were considered primitive too. "Archaic weapons and hokey religions" ring a bell?  

Nelowulf
Vice Captain

Codger

6,200 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200

Skyeborne

Dapper Raider

750 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Cart Raider 100
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 12:20 pm
Nelowulf
Aurin_Starkiller
Nelowulf

So were many other things when looked back upon 1500 years later. That's the point. in this era, they'd not be 'primitive'. Much like the crappy non-holonet communications, piss poor hyperdrives, and such, of course they'd be viewed as primitive come ANH.

Jedi and Sith were considered primitive too. "Archaic weapons and hokey religions" ring a bell?

Okay, look at it this way. Personal energy shields, that cover the entire body, were around as far back as the Jedi Civil War. As time went on these became more and more advanced, but the same general concept still applied.

A more primitive version of the personal energy shield would be a handheld or wrist-attached energy shield that only protected a limited area of the body.

So if personal energy shields exist in this timeline than it makes sense to extrapolate that a simpler version of the same technology could also exist.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 1:08 pm
Let him have his energy shield, its less effective than the full body shield. I've already chosen weapons that would probably go straight through it.  

stellarmagic

Sol Walker
Crew

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 6:37 pm
His men are still carrying an awful lot of equipment into the field.
Most conventional soldiers usually just have a rifle or carbine. Pistols are usually used in place of a rifle for a crew that needs a lighter weapon, like technicians, medics, drivers and gunners.
And most soldiers go in with probably four grenades max, two standard.
So they have these energy shields to? How the hell are they supposed to carry them AND their rifles?

Now lets total up the equipment:
Rifle: 4.5kg
H Pistol: 1kg
Total Grenade weight: 2.5kg
Fully sealed medium battle armor: 16kg
Hand Held Energy Shield: 4kg
Assuming an equipment belt: 4kg

Thats 70+ lbs.
Your average soldier can, at best, haul 48 pounds into the field during a prolonged engagement. Passing that weight limit will cause the soldier to experience fatigue and break down in a damn hurry. They will consume more of their supplies, be less willing to advance, and generally become useless far sooner than if you kept equipment weight at 1/3 their body mass.  
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 6:43 pm
they are 'defenders'.

And stellar, you reminded me of that one scene in Dune from 1985 version where teh bullet bores through the shield.  

Nelowulf
Vice Captain

Codger

6,200 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200

stellarmagic

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 6:43 pm
No way they can use both at once, but I guess their to give em some defense against saber swingers. Maybe its a small little emitter mounted on their wrist or something.

EDIT: At Nelo... Nice reference that.

I'd assume that the energy shield would strip an ACP round of its charge, but still even without the charge... it is a slug coming at you at probably 900 m/sec.  
The Second Imperium

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff