Reply Pro-Choice Gaians
Pro-lifers and their limited world view

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Talon-chan

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 8:44 am
I read the PL guild... mistake as always... but I saw this interesting quote in the Religion and Morality thread by divineseraph:

Quote:
actually, the three major religions, (Islam, Christianity, Judaism) don't disagree with eachother at all.

And it occurred to me that pro-lifers really honestly do have a very restricted and closed view of the world, one not extending much beyond their own bible-thumping rural white town. I had always speculated this based on the fact that so many are so naive as to think that all women will magically have the means to care for a child or that adoption solves all (they are basing their view of abortion on their personal situation - making the wrongful assumption that all people fall into their upper-middle class economic sect and that all women have kind loving families willing to help them, as well as their relative infamiliarity with adoption and idealistic view of how it magically saves all children).

But back to the quote:

There are only three major religions? Really? And it is shocking how many of them proceed to insist all religions are the same [as their christian religion]. ORLY? Then how do you explain this:

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
(clickable)

Amazing how Judaism doesn't even qualify in the top ten. Amazing it is one of the top "three." Not to mention that non-religious and Hindu rank pretty damned high on that list as well.

And beyond just that, they're all the same? Really?

Jews believe Jesus is god?
Muslims have Northern European Pagan holidays integrated with their own (Christmas being on the sun's day, easter on the equinox where easter always falls on the first sunday after the first full moon after the equinox, the christian's celebration of the souls of the dead falling just a day or two after the pagan holiday for when the world of the dead is closest to the world of the living)?
Christians believe in the Caste system where the poor are to remain poor and be treated as poor?
Christians, Jews, and Muslims believe in reincarnation to a bodily form until you achieve oneness with God where there is no heaven and your personality/mind is not preserved, where you don't get to see your relatives again one day?

Pro-lifers, sadly even the ones I consider "most intelligent" among pro-lifers, are idiots that need to study the world beyond their bible and bigoted home state. Not everyone is like you, the sooner you learn this, the sooner you truly examine the amazing differences in the world between religions and peoples, the sooner you'll realize why trying to legislate your personal morality on others who do not actually believe what you do, and who do not want to live life according to your very limited world view is so abhorred.  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 8:57 am
Talon-chan
I read the PL guild... mistake as always... but I saw this interesting quote in the Religion and Morality thread by divineseraph:

Quote:
actually, the three major religions, (Islam, Christianity, Judaism) don't disagree with eachother at all.

It's likely that there is an implicit "in my country" with regards to what the major religions are. This certainly isn't restricted to pro-lifers. Most Americans tend to forgot that not everyone online is American if they are in a non-regional space. I see it all the time. Even in this guild, someone will say something like "abortion is legal" without specifying "in my country." We all KNOW it isn't legal everywhere. We still say stuff like that. I don't have stats in front of me, but the chances are a lot better that there are more Jews than Hindus if you are just looking at the US.

As for saying all religions agree, surely there was some context to this? Some particular issue that they all agree on? After all, they all agree there is one god, right? I have never met anyone who believes that all religions are exactly the same.  

Prinsesse Maggie

S. Shark

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 9:05 am
I am going to assume the quoted was unintentional, a confusion of the three Middle Eastern-originating religions with the three major religions due to the fact they are both groups of three.

For my own sanity.

My crimson-red Kentucky home is not the Matrix... I will escape... there is a Zion... not the Matrix... will escape...

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 9:12 am
adabyron
Talon-chan

Quote:

It's likely that there is an implicit "in my country" with regards to what the major religions are. This certainly isn't restricted to pro-lifers. Most Americans tend to forgot that not everyone online is American if they are in a non-regional space. I see it all the time. Even in this guild, someone will say something like "abortion is legal" without specifying "in my country." We all KNOW it isn't legal everywhere. We still say stuff like that. I don't have stats in front of me, but the chances are a lot better that there are more Jews than Hindus if you are just looking at the US.

As for saying all religions agree, surely there was some context to this? Some particular issue that they all agree on? After all, they all agree there is one god, right? I have never met anyone who believes that all religions are exactly the same.
Well, that's possible, but Judaism and Islam don't really qualify as "major" in the U.S.

Judaism- 1.4%
Muslim- .6%
Christianity- 79.8%

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion_in_the_United_States

S. Shark

Pro-Choice Gaians

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items