Reply Pro-Choice Gaians
Lifers defining responsibility - why?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Lord Setar

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 4:48 pm
I see so many lifers saying "abortion isn't responsible!" Then I give them the little definition and logical tie, and they say "it's a cop-out so it can't be responsible!" Then when I ask them "one, why does it being a 'cop-out' make it not responsible and two, who are you to define what responsible is," I get no answer.  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 6:38 pm
I've done the same. Show some responsibility pusher the wrath of Merriam-Webster and it'll silence them.  

Half Baked SF

Tahpenes

Quotable Shapeshifter

10,900 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Champion 300
  • Olympian 200
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 8:14 pm
I really don't get it, either.

The path of least resistance would actually be waiting about until labor, not getting prenatal care, and then giving the baby up for adoption or leaving it at the front door of the local fire station. That would require basically no more effort than plodding through whatever miserable side effects may result from the pregnancy or birthing.  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 8:40 pm
I'd wager it is because many lifers are religious and the figurehead of their beliefs is a martyr. It seems to me, based on my catholic upbringing, that being a self-sacrificing martyr is one of the best things one could ever do. It is idealized. It is praised. It is even worshipped. When one would refuse to do this self-sacrificing, and "cop-out," I believe it strikes them as "wrong" on a very deep level. Calling it "irresponsible" is the only way they can articulate the feeling of abhorrence at refusing to be a martyr.  

Talon-chan

Akhakhu

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 10:09 am
Why does the "responsible" thing have to be "the difficult" thing?

I really enjoy going to school. I find it much easier and much more fun than working in McDonalds. Does that mean I am going for a "cop-out"?

And there are some situations where KEEPING a pregnancy (especially giving it up for adoption) would be the easiest thing to do. Think of the person who would feel guilt aborting, so she carries the pregnancy. Copping out, avoiding that guilt. And then not taking responsibility for the child's life by altering her behaviour during pregnancy (such as smoking/drinking) and then just tossing the child into the adoption system. All so that she doesn't have to live with the "guilt" of having aborted. Why would pro-lifers not admit to this to being a cop-out even though, for many people, not aborting IS the easier thing to do?  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 1:31 pm
It's funny, because I'm having this exact conversation in the PLG. What is "responsible" is relative, so anyone's personal definition of what is responsible cannot be aplied to everyone.  

WatersMoon110

Pro-Choice Gaians

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff