Reply Pro-Choice Gaians
This makes me really, really sad. Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

zawazawaii

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 3:44 pm
I just learned that one of the brightest, happiest, fuinniest, nicest girls in my orchestra is one of those pro-lifers that says things like

'I am Pro-Life, so yah. I am going to call every one who supports abortion a baby killer. So if you have any flack with that, you can tell me, but I won't listen.'

Her entire speech is

'Abortion is just WRONG! You are killing another life. You have no idea who that baby was going to be at all. There are other solutions to abortion like adoption. For every 1 child that was aborted, 10 families would have willingly adopted that child.
Here is one of the papers that I did for English and it fits this topic:

Many people want abortion to be legal for women who have been raped, but statistics show that only 2% of women who are raped get pregnant. A number of people disagree with abortion for rape victims because they say why kill the child for what the father has done. Why not give the child up for adoption?
The young women who become pregnant in their teens say they are to young to raise a child. So, they go to a Planned Parent Clinic and have an abortion performed. There are other alternatives to abortion. A teen mother can giver her child up for adoption. For every child that has been aborted, ten families would have gladly adopted that child. Those who choose the choice of abortion may get Post-Abortion Syndrome.
Post-Abortion Syndrome is a form of Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome (PTSD). PTSD is a result of something traumatic happening to a person. Many people who suffer from PTSD cannot get back to their regular lives. The women who suffer from PAS show these side affects; depression and thoughts of suicide, sad mood swings, sudden and uncontrollable crying, development of eating disorders, alcohol and drug abuse, and Brief Reactive Psychosis, which is an episode of drastically distorted reality within two weeks of the abortion.
Planned Parenthood supports abortion. They state that abortion should be allowed if
“She is not ready to become a parent, she cannot afford a baby, she doesn't want to be a single parent, she doesn't want anyone to know she has had sex or is pregnant, she is too young or too immature to have a child, she has all the children she wants, her husband, partner, or parent wants her to have an abortion, she or the fetus has a health problem, She was a survivor of rape or incest.”
They also say that the fetus or the embryo does not feel pain. Doctors say that in the first month, the baby does feel pain.

Ok another thing, why are young girls having pre-marital sex? Why not save yourself for the right guy and avoid getting pregnant and all of the STDs that you might get when have sex. Why are girls haveing sex when they aren't even ready to have a child? Think about it. Why are people so ready to give themselves up to their boyfriend or girlfriend?

I am Pro-Life, so yah. I am going to call every one who supports abortion a baby killer. So if you have any flack with that, you can tell me, but I won't listen.'

So, What do you think? I don't know what to think, because I don't know if any of this is actually true or not.

Dizzcuzz.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 4:21 pm
Eh, quite a bit of it's wrong, and some of it just doesn't make sense.

Adoption: There are over 500,000 children in the adoption system all over the world. If, like some lifers claim, there are 10+ couples that would be willing to adopt every pregnancy aborted...where the hell are they? Where are these couples who supposedly desperately want a child, and why the hell aren't they adopting?

Take care of the children that are there.

"Post Abortion Syndrome": Certainly, there are women who will regret their abortion. I do not know about the actual truth of there being a 'post abortion syndrome', though- and if one wants to outlaw abortion on the basis of there being women who suffer from it, why not outlaw giving birth, considering how we have post-partum syndrome?

Also, I doubt PP tells people to have abortions 'because their relations/significant others/etc wants them to have it'. Doesn't sound like something a pro-CHOICE organization would do.

'Why are people that young having sex?' Well, considering that the majority of people having abortions are in their twenties, I'd think it's a little stupid to be mandating the sexual behaviour of college graduates. Marriage doesn't prevent STDs, unwanted pregnancies, or abortions, and abortions aren't only done for women who are having pre-marital sex. I don't know where people come up with this kind of stuff.

"You can tell me, but I won't listen."
"Nyahnyahnyahnyah, I can't hear youuuu."

Sounds like me when I was six years old.  

Reinna Astarel

The Velveteen Violinist

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 6:48 pm
Ooo, what instrument, section, and chair?

Violin, Second, Fifth Chair in the Youth Concert Strings for meh, second violin, third chair at school. You?

crying That happens....

But even if she was pro-choice, I would think that that was wrong for her to think that way. Mudslinging! I mean, pro-lifers aren't anti-woman religious zealots; those are anti-choicers...

That happens.

I also think she got her info from PriestsforLife.org.  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 7:00 pm
I hate pro-lifers who use adoption in their defense.

I'm a birth-mother, but honesly, there are THOUSANDS of children who need the love that they preach from mthese couples. However, there are a ton of couples who don't want an older child, or one that isn't of their color, because it is harder to play the game of "lets pretend this is our baby, and it was born to us".

Not all couples who want to adopt are bad horible people who want that, but when I was selecting a family for my son, I ran into that...A LOT.  

oODigital GlowOo

Trite~Elegy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 7:06 pm
I would have smacked her. biggrin
then probably yelled " Your the load your mother should have swallowed!"

or some other such insult.

Cause I'm feeling quite rude today.

OR I would have said "I don't care what YOU think, it's my body b***h and I'll do what I please, you wouldn't like it if I made you abort every single time you concieved and WANTED that child, how some women DON'T want that kid, but WANT their own life back, also only 1 in 10 babies are perfectly healthy WHITE blonde and blue eyed baby, that is wanted, the other 9 million non healthy white kids in the orphnages are proof of that"

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 7:59 pm
This makes me very sad, too. Because I don't know what you're going to do, but I know that I could never really be friends with a person who thought like that.

But the tiny, glimmering jewel of hope, and also one of the saddest things about this, is that she is misinformed. This means she may change her mind when she finds out the truth. However, she may reject the truth even more strongly when she hears it because she's been brainwashed with false information.

The adoption system is already very flawed, strict, and overcrowded.
"Planned Parent" clinics (Planned Parenthood) provide information on ALL reproductive options. They do not just push abortion and they are not the only providers of said services.
In repsonse to your friend's comment about rape victims: Why punish the victim AND the fetus for what the "father" did?
Your friend cites no source for the "for every abortion, ten families are willing to adopt" statistic. Furthermore, if this were true, why are there still so many children in foster care and group homes awaiting adoption?
"Post Abortion Syndrome" is not real. The most common feeling women report after an abortion is relief. Any side effects from the abortion typically come from the unplanned pregnancy itself.
Quote:
“She is not ready to become a parent, she cannot afford a baby, she doesn't want to be a single parent, she doesn't want anyone to know she has had sex or is pregnant, she is too young or too immature to have a child, she has all the children she wants, her husband, partner, or parent wants her to have an abortion, she or the fetus has a health problem, She was a survivor of rape or incest.”

The bolded section looks suspicious to me. The first reason just doesn't sound like the type of language Planned Parenthood would use, and, being pro-choice, Planned Parenthood would never support people trying to force a woman to have an abortion. They are all about helping people make their own well-informed reproductive health decisions.
Fetii do not feel pain until their nervous system is fully developed. Even then, they are not conscious and are unaware of anything while developing in the uterus.

Your friend's condemnation of sexuality is, frankly, offensive and disgusting. She has no business in the sexual decisions of others. She also discusses sex very negatively, using terms like "giving it up" as if sex were a cheap material possesion or commodity, as if lovemaking was a form of conquest. She also blatantly states that the only purpose of sex should be procreation. Does this sound like a healthy idea of sexuality to you?

I can give you quotes to back up my claims, if you'd like, or you can go to the "Library Of Logic" section to research.  

PhaedraMcSpiffy

October Cross

Fluffy Conventioneer

5,300 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Flatterer 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 11:15 pm
"Also, I doubt PP tells people to have abortions 'because their relations/significant others/etc wants them to have it'. Doesn't sound like something a pro-CHOICE organization would do. "

I am very appauled by this. I went to planned parenthood where I recieved my abortion and in my pre-abortion session where I got to talk to a nurse and ask questions, she talked to me and asked me if it was my choice alone. I told her no, since my boyfriend and I talked about it and she asked if he pressured me at all. I told her no, since I had brought up the topic, and she said "That is fine. It seems like you made the decision and he is support. Do you feel pressured to get this from anyone else? Remember, it is completely your choice."  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 7:50 pm
October Cross
"Also, I doubt PP tells people to have abortions 'because their relations/significant others/etc wants them to have it'. Doesn't sound like something a pro-CHOICE organization would do. "

I am very appauled by this. I went to planned parenthood where I recieved my abortion and in my pre-abortion session where I got to talk to a nurse and ask questions, she talked to me and asked me if it was my choice alone. I told her no, since my boyfriend and I talked about it and she asked if he pressured me at all. I told her no, since I had brought up the topic, and she said "That is fine. It seems like you made the decision and he is support. Do you feel pressured to get this from anyone else? Remember, it is completely your choice."

(You're APPALLED, October.)

And you're right. They do provide counseling and I'm sure they'd try to find out WHY you wanted an abortion. Just to make sure nothing else was going on.  

PhaedraMcSpiffy

October Cross

Fluffy Conventioneer

5,300 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Flatterer 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 7:59 pm
PhaedraMcSpiffy
October Cross

(You're APPALLED, October.)

And you're right. They do provide counseling and I'm sure they'd try to find out WHY you wanted an abortion. Just to make sure nothing else was going on.

Yes. I am so APPALLED that I have lost my sense of spelling. It burns us.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 1:01 am
"Why not save yourself for the right guy and avoid getting pregnant and all of the STDs that you might get when have sex. "

Okay, I just re-read and have a HUGE problem with this statement.

Waiting for the right guy doesn't automatically save you from an unexpected pregnancy, auto-grant financial stability, OR protect you from STD's. The "right guy" may have been around the block, picked up HPV and since men are less likely to display symptoms, you assume "clean" and simply get HPV, a great contributer to ovarian cancer in women.

Look, I waited for the "right guy", broke up with him when he turned out to be a total liar, found a new improved and shiney "right guy" and got pregnant. "Right guy" and I decided as a couple to abort. And "right guy" still supports my decision to this day. I also demand all potential "right guys" to get an STD test, reguardless of if they claim virginity or not. Shoot, I get STD tests every 6-12 months reguardless of if I am sexually active or not.

I mean, wake up and smell the reality here. It's hot and fresh from the minds of a reasonable person near you.  

October Cross

Fluffy Conventioneer

5,300 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Flatterer 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300

nobhdy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 1:08 am
October Cross
"Why not save yourself for the right guy and avoid getting pregnant and all of the STDs that you might get when have sex. "

Okay, I just re-read and have a HUGE problem with this statement.

Waiting for the right guy doesn't automatically save you from an unexpected pregnancy, auto-grant financial stability, OR protect you from STD's. The "right guy" may have been around the block, picked up HPV and since men are less likely to display symptoms, you assume "clean" and simply get HPV, a great contributer to ovarian cancer in women.

Look, I waited for the "right guy", broke up with him when he turned out to be a total liar, found a new improved and shiney "right guy" and got pregnant. "Right guy" and I decided as a couple to abort. And "right guy" still supports my decision to this day. I also demand all potential "right guys" to get an STD test, reguardless of if they claim virginity or not. Shoot, I get STD tests every 6-12 months reguardless of if I am sexually active or not.

I mean, wake up and smell the reality here. It's hot and fresh from the minds of a reasonable person near you.

Please don't make yourself out to be more reasonable than someone who claims that the best way not to get pregnant or aquire STD's is to not have sex. You simply cannot make any more sense than that.

As for the supposed "speech," in the first post, she stated some information, some misinformation, some unfounded opinion, and some blatantly retarded information that when she uttered outloud, she should have realized how unreasonable it was.

All-in-all, it seems to be constructed by a child, which it probably was.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 9:45 am
I'll be honest, I read half of the first post and nothing after that.

if this girl wants to make a point that only 2% of girls who get raped get pregnant, than why not make a point of how many girls suffer PTSD and actually commit suicide or anything of the sort? or why not make a point that depression after an abortion is due to a sudden change or hormones in the body, not because 'they took an innocent life' and they hate themselves for it.

And one more thing - does the 2% stated above not mean s**t to this girl? She seems to make it so menial.

I hate people. Seriously.  

Sypherengel

Tragic Christmas
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 9:48 am
nobhdy
Please don't make yourself out to be more reasonable than someone who claims that the best way not to get pregnant or aquire STD's is to not have sex. You simply cannot make any more sense than that.

Seeing how consensual premarital sex isn't the only source of pregnancy or STDs, I see no sense in advocating abstinence, which isn't realistically applicable anyway. You can avoid pregnancy by having homosexual intercourse. STDs can be transmitted through simple kissing or sharing common objects. Of course, neither abstinence or homosexual intercourse protects you against pregnancy through rape.

Quote:
As for the supposed "speech," in the first post, she stated some information, some misinformation, some unfounded opinion, and some blatantly retarded information that when she uttered outloud, she should have realized how unreasonable it was.

All-in-all, it seems to be constructed by a child, which it probably was.

Yet somehow, you seem to be claiming that the child who doesn't even realize the fallacies of her own argument has more sense than October Cross.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 10:33 am
Giant freaking thumbs up to Tragic Christmas, Sypherengel, and October Cross.

Also, I have another suggestion on what to show this girl: The Alan Guttmacher Institute

Unfortuntely, though, I can't find their page of statistics on abortion!  

PhaedraMcSpiffy

Tragic Christmas
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 10:43 am
PhaedraMcSpiffy
Giant freaking thumbs up to Tragic Christmas, Sypherengel, and October Cross.

Also, I have another suggestion on what to show this girl: The Alan Guttmacher Institute

Unfortuntely, though, I can't find their page of statistics on abortion!

Here you go.

http://www.guttmacher.org/pubs/fb_induced_abortion.html  
Pro-Choice Gaians

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas