Reply Pro-Choice Gaians
Target Etc. Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

PhaedraMcSpiffy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 6:44 pm
Oh. Well... I suppose Wal-Mart isn't as bad in Canada, then, but it's still Wal-Mart.... sad  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 2:41 pm
I say, might I be able to hear some of your reasons for boycotting these particular establishments?

I am rather interested in this.  

nobhdy

Pandora Box

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 2:51 pm
nobhdy
I say, might I be able to hear some of your reasons for boycotting these particular establishments?

Depends on which one you're talking about and who you're asking.

Target has a policy that allows pharmacists to refuse to fill Plan B. They say they're following the 1964 Civil Rights Act, which prohibits job discrimination based on religion, but the act specifically has a caluse stating that this is not the case if it interferes with the employee's job. And since a pharmacist's job is to fill prescriptions, it would be.

I'm not currently boycotting Wal-Mart for a few reasons, but I understand why some people do. Wal-Mart has a horrible history. They keep their prices low by also keeping the wages low. Employees have to buy the health care Wal-Mart offers, and it's so expensive that most employees can't afford it because of their wage. Wal-Mart has also had a number of suits brought against them for sex and race discrimination. And then there's the deal with overseas sweatshops -- they've refused to disclose the location of any of their workshops and have been removed from the Domini 400 Social Index, "an influential socially responsible investment fund, for its failure to make sufficient efforts to uphold labor rights and for its 'unrepsonsiveness to the call for change.' Other than Nike, Wal-Mart is the only company that has been botted from the fund for this reason." (Source)  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 3:08 pm
Pandora Box
nobhdy

Depends on which one you're talking about and who you're asking.

Target has a policy that allows pharmacists to refuse to fill Plan B. They say they're following the 1964 Civil Rights Act, which prohibits job discrimination based on religion, but the act specifically has a caluse stating that this is not the case if it interferes with the employee's job. And since a pharmacist's job is to fill prescriptions, it would be.

I'm not currently boycotting Wal-Mart for a few reasons, but I understand why some people do. Wal-Mart has a horrible history. They keep their prices low by also keeping the wages low. Employees have to buy the health care Wal-Mart offers, and it's so expensive that most employees can't afford it because of their wage. Wal-Mart has also had a number of suits brought against them for sex and race discrimination. And then there's the deal with overseas sweatshops -- they've refused to disclose the location of any of their workshops and have been removed from the Domini 400 Social Index, "an influential socially responsible investment fund, for its failure to make sufficient efforts to uphold labor rights and for its 'unrepsonsiveness to the call for change.' Other than Nike, Wal-Mart is the only company that has been botted from the fund for this reason." (Source)

Ah. That tired argument. Are you guys familiar with what a job is? A job is an agreement or exchange between employer and employee. The employee gives his part of the deal, which is work. In exchange, the employer gives his part of the deal, which is a monitary payment for that work.

The employer makes your salary based on a monitary value of the work that you do. Then, you agree to it thus creating a contract.

You don't have to agree to it. If nobody agreed to it, then the market would dictate that the value of that job is higher. However, the market has pretty much set the value at where it currently is.

Now let's talk about this old defense:

My grandmother was hired by Wal-Mart. It is the only place that hires 80+ year old women. You see, 80 year old women are seen as a liability by most establishments. They really aren't able to do much actual work, but Wal-Mart employs them still.

If she didn't have that job, she would have had no income, and she was able to live comfortably off of the wages that they paid her. She remained there for several years, and after several promotions recieved almost $10.00 hourly. That is the way that jobs work.  

nobhdy

Pro-Choice Gaians

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces