Reply Pro-Choice Gaians
Target Etc. Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Electric Kool-Aid

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 3:04 pm
Here's a problem that I don't know how to fix. Any ideas?

So I love Target because well Wal-Mart sucks and if I have to shop at someplace I'd rather go to Target. (we live in a rural area...12 miles to the nearest grocer)
BUT! Target has for awhile now made it the pharmacist's choice as to whether or not they give out the morning after pill, or birth control...Pharmacist's decide based on religion. therefore in order to get the morning after pill or birth control pill you have to know which pharamcist's shift is when and what their religious stance is. Now this is not problematical for me because I've decided on abstinance until I feel that I'd be able to care for a child (my own personal thing...>.<) But I'm female and I can imagine what it would be like to have protection break and need the morning after pill and have it be denied because of another person's religious views. I want to boycott target, but I'm already boycotting Wally World, and also I don't think people should have to go against their religion-after all freedom of religion right?

So what do you think Target should do?
-Force pharmacist's to give out the drugs regardless of their religion
-Continue as they are
-or what?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 4:03 pm
Just avoid those stores all together. Buy your clothes from a clothing store (a discount place if you can't afford retail) and get your groceries from a grocery store and your drugs and other necessities from a drugstore. You can go without Walmart and Target.  

PersephoneMediocris

Lord Setar

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 4:10 pm
PersephoneMediocris
Just avoid those stores all together. Buy your clothes from a clothing store (a discount place if you can't afford retail) and get your groceries from a grocery store and your drugs and other necessities from a drugstore. You can go without Walmart and Target.

She lives 12 miles away from the nearest grocer, so that is probably a bit hard.

It's not a problem for me, I live in a city and there's well over a hundred places I could go to to get stuff like that =/  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 4:15 pm
Target should force the pharmacists to do their jobs. mrgreen If your job's to supply something, ******** you, you gotta supply it. It doesn't matter what it is they're selling. It isn't a violation of religious freedom to have to do your job. If working somewhere violates your religious beliefs, quit. That easy. (Can't find another job? Well, now you know how those women who couldn't find another pharmacy feel.)

Is it legal for them to let their employees refuse service? Certainly, it just means they suck. I just hope some pharmacists decides they aren't going to sell anti-depressants without a customer's lifestory. If one employee can refuse service based on their religious beliefs, is it not religious discrimination to disallow another employee from doing the same?

Oh, and when I say "you", I'm not referring to the OP. Just "you" as the pharmacists, people not doing their jobs, etc... sweatdrop I don't know what you, personally, should do, Heiwa. You can't boycott it, so I guess take action in other ways? Write angry letters, protest it, try to get the pharmacists fired... *shrug*

S. Shark

Electric Kool-Aid

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:01 pm
Thanks guys...and i do do my best to buy my stuff at NOT evil places (all my clothes are from Salvation Army [and they have YET to convert me. 3nodding ] and we go to Wegmans for food...and most other stuff we get at the hardware store, but somestuff you just can't get...not to mention that we have very little money [both my parent's are artists] so when it comes to cheap and plastic we're like...cool i can afford this! especially with gas prices and the fact that i have to drive 20 min. to get anything...)

sybex-definately going to write some letters and such. and i agree with you if you don't like it quit, but whatever...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:31 pm
Buy online and just have stuff delivered to you.
you might be worried about postage costs, but most places, if you buy over a certain amout which you would normally spend at the store, they will ship it to you for free.
3nodding
(like for clothing, toys, electronics etc.)

Trite~Elegy

CAPTAIN Plixy[Stix]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 6:00 pm
Maybe protest what Target's doing? Cause it seriously isn't any of the pharmacist's business or anyone else's but the person who needs the medication.  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 7:29 pm
Trite~Elegy
Buy online and just have stuff delivered to you.
you might be worried about postage costs, but most places, if you buy over a certain amout which you would normally spend at the store, they will ship it to you for free.
3nodding
(like for clothing, toys, electronics etc.)
Yeah, you can get just about anything off of Amazon.com nowadays. xd

Might be more expensive, though.

S. Shark

Pandora Box

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 9:19 pm
I am absolutely for the right to freedom of religion... BUT someone's rights stop where mine begin. We have a right to health care. Their JOB is to fill prescriptions. They knew that when they took the job, and if they can't do that, they shouldn't have taken the job. An example: I'm a vegetarian. If I decided to take a job at Burger King, I know I'd have to work with meat. If I refused to serve someone meat, my employer would have every right to fire me.

I'm actually boycotting Target right now, too, for the same reason. Planned Parenthood has a website for stores/pharmacies like this called Fill My Pills Now. You could read more and keep updated there.

I've had second thoughts once or twice, because the Target here doesn't have a pharmacy, that I know of. But shopping there would still contribute to Target in general. However, I can afford to boycott them. Doing so can be noble and all, but if it's going to be too hard, you can always just minimalize your shopping there and do lots of letter-writing and maybe protesting.

Now if you're also boycotting Wal-Mart that makes it a bit more difficult. I live in a small town too, and we have places like United, CVS, Alco for groceries and stuff. Clothing's a bit harder, but Salvation Army and Goodwill actually have good stuff, and you said you sometimes go to Salvation Army. And as far as I know KMart's okay. They got the thumbs up from PP, anyway.

I've gotten a lot of my clothes from eBay, too (and my mom gets other stuff there). You can find the usual stuff as well as one-of-a-kind clothing on there, and it's usually not too pricey. Many sellers will also cut down on shipping if you buy a certain amount of items.  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 9:26 pm
Pandora Box
I am absolutely for the right to freedom of religion... BUT someone's rights stop where mine begin. We have a right to health care. Their JOB is to fill prescriptions. They knew that when they took the job, and if they can't do that, they shouldn't have taken the job. An example: I'm a vegetarian. If I decided to take a job at Burger King, I know I'd have to work with meat. If I refused to serve someone meat, my employer would have every right to fire me.

I'm actually boycotting Target right now, too, for the same reason. Planned Parenthood has a website for stores/pharmacies like this called Fill My Pills Now. You could read more and keep updated there.

I've had second thoughts once or twice, because the Target here doesn't have a pharmacy, that I know of. But shopping there would still contribute to Target in general. However, I can afford to boycott them. Doing so can be noble and all, but if it's going to be too hard, you can always just minimalize your shopping there and do lots of letter-writing and maybe protesting.

Now if you're also boycotting Wal-Mart that makes it a bit more difficult. I live in a small town too, and we have places like United, CVS, Alco for groceries and stuff. Clothing's a bit harder, but Salvation Army and Goodwill actually have good stuff, and you said you sometimes go to Salvation Army. And as far as I know KMart's okay. They got the thumbs up from PP, anyway.

I've gotten a lot of my clothes from eBay, too (and my mom gets other stuff there). You can find the usual stuff as well as one-of-a-kind clothing on there, and it's usually not too pricey. Many sellers will also cut down on shipping if you buy a certain amount of items.

I'm going to boycott HBC then. I rarely ever shop at Hudson's Bay Company stores(Home Outfitters, Zellers, The Bay), but the HBC is now owned by Target, which I hate because the HBC is basically all of Canada's history. It IS Canada for crying out loud.

Zellers may be cheap, but The Bay is awfully expensive. I'll just shop at Sears or Wal-Mart or something.

Edit: Any links other than Planned Parenthood? Those links don't usually go over well.  

Lord Setar

Pandora Box

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 11:23 am
Lord Setar
Edit: Any links other than Planned Parenthood? Those links don't usually go over well.

About Target's policy? Sure. There are two articles (one, two) at AmericaBlog, which has actual replies from Target, but that's also a liberal blog, so that might not work. Salon covers it, which more people seem to accept.

The problem is this hasn't been picked up by mainstream news. neutral

By the way, the 1964 Civil Rights Act that Target quotes, saying they're following it in their policy, prohibits discrimination against religion. It specifically says "unless an employer demonstrates that he is unable to reasonably accommodate to an employee's or prospective employee's religious observance or practice without undue hardship on the conduct of the employer's business." In other words, unless it keeps the employee from doing his/her job.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 5:08 pm
Thanks Pandora!! That was really helpful!  

Electric Kool-Aid

PhaedraMcSpiffy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 7:52 pm
Note on distance: I live twnety minutes away from the nearest major shopping center and I would boycott a store whose policies I didn't want to support. But it's only a few extra miles to get to other stores.

And please, Lord Setar, don't shop at Wal-Mart! They keep their prices low by keeping wages low, they're anti-union, they censor music, and drive out other businesses.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 8:47 pm
PhaedraMcSpiffy
Note on distance: I live twnety minutes away from the nearest major shopping center and I would boycott a store whose policies I didn't want to support. But it's only a few extra miles to get to other stores.

And please, Lord Setar, don't shop at Wal-Mart! They keep their prices low by keeping wages low, they're anti-union, they censor music, and drive out other businesses.

As I said, I hardly ever shop other than getting groceries. Those I can get anywhere buy Wal-Mart, as they have no supercenters here - the closest store that's like one of those is the Otter Co-op, and while Canada INVENTED the "Supercenter" with Woodward's, it doesn't look like we'll be getting those again any time soon. But where I live, the options are either Zellers(HBC owned, owned by Target as such), The Bay(also HBC), Sears(kind of pricey), or Wal-Mart. That's pretty much it.

However, unions are extremely prevalent in Canada and Wal-Mart is going to have a hell of a time stopping them, especially in my province. British Columbia is in a constant labor dispute. Wal-Mart hasn't driven out many businesses around here either, but I live in a city and most of the businesses are huge chain stores. As for music, I don't buy music. Yar har, fiddly dee, I am a pirate.  

Lord Setar

The Velveteen Violinist

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 9:02 pm
HEY! ....That's not fair, really. I mean, am I allowed to not sell any animal-tested medicines because it's my religion?

Geeeez, that's not like a pharmacist, if you don't wanna sell medicine, don't work in a medicine store!  
Pro-Choice Gaians

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff