Reply Pro-Choice Gaians
Think abstinance only is bad? This is worse. Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Does this bother you (read post first)?
  Yes
  I can understand why they did it, even though I don't approve.
  No, I think every school should do that.
View Results

PersephoneMediocris

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 1:17 pm
This morning my health teacher said sex outside of marriage is illegal and you can go to jail for it even if you're over 18. I know this is untrue in the states as such a law would clash with the constitution and sex outside of marriage is done all the time in our society. I don't think this came from the schoolboard because if they did this in every school in the city somone would've complained. This isn't Alabama we're talking about, someone has to be offended about the idea of purposly misinforming school kids only to protect precious morality. Is there anything I can do to find out how high this goes? I want to know if it's just my teacher, just my school, just my city, or even my whole state.  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 1:32 pm
I think you should be able to go to your state's website and find out the state's health curriculum. If your school has a website, you may be able to find it there, but it isn't as likely.

Either way, your teacher is not so bright. xd Why don't you find out the age of consent laws and age a person must be to marry without parental consent (if they differ, she would logically be wrong)? Or just plain ask her the purpose of age of consent laws if sex outside marriage is illegal anyway.

S. Shark

PersephoneMediocris

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 2:30 pm
sybex Shark
I think you should be able to go to your state's website and find out the state's health curriculum. If your school has a website, you may be able to find it there, but it isn't as likely.

Either way, your teacher is not so bright. xd Why don't you find out the age of consent laws and age a person must be to marry without parental consent (if they differ, she would logically be wrong)? Or just plain ask her the purpose of age of consent laws if sex outside marriage is illegal anyway.

She already adressed that. Consent laws mean it's more of a crime if you have sex with someone under 16, but it's still a crime either way. I know she doesn't actually believe any of that crap, she's just trying to see if she can get us to.  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 4:26 pm
PersephoneMediocris
sybex Shark

She already adressed that. Consent laws mean it's more of a crime if you have sex with someone under 16, but it's still a crime either way. I know she doesn't actually believe any of that crap, she's just trying to see if she can get us to.
What, does she think everyone's logic centers are busted? (She just busted one of mine trying to figure out WTF is up with her logic, sure, but...) Lying to students is not funny.

Oh, here's a fun idea. Ask her why it's bad that Iran bans sex outside marriage, but good when the U.S. does. pirate

S. Shark

MipsyKitten
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:30 pm
She outright said it was illegal? That's the biggest load of crap I've heard today. However, I've seen some lifers go into the ED thread spouting the same crap. How exactly is telling someone sex outside of marriage is illegal, going to help prevent teenage sex and pregnancy? Where is the 'supposed' logic in that?  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 6:23 am
When the going gets tough, the weak get FUD.

Call her out on it. Seriously. If she won't listen, go up the chain until someone does.  

Veled
Captain

Quotable Conventioneer

8,000 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300

Joselle`Stark

Familiar Bloodsucker

10,025 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Generous 100
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 7:10 am
What would be nice is if you had a printout of all the laws regarding sex in the entire nation.

I had someone else feed me this tripe, based upon "fornication laws" that had not been enforced in some 80 years, but were still on the books. What's really funny is that the laws were even formally repealed a few years ago,lol!  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 1:28 pm
Oh I loved stirring up trouble in high school. I almost wish I had had a teacher this stupid.

Heres what I would do:
Go research the actual laws in your state, maybe even find out if what she said was true anywhere in the states.
Then go to your teacher and tell her that abstinance is something you feel very strongly about and you want to do a special presentation on it for the class. Try hard not to give away what your actual motives are.
Then get up in front of the class and present your findings about your teachers lies (don't outright call her a liar though, just show them). You can talk about the age of consent and let everyone in the class know that as soon as they reach that age of consent they are free to have as much legal consentual sex as they like!
If your state does have fornication laws or similar restrictions, then address that and try to get some facts on when the last time someone was actually charged under those laws.  

Aiko_Kaida

PersephoneMediocris

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 2:03 pm
Aiko_Kaida
Oh I loved stirring up trouble in high school. I almost wish I had had a teacher this stupid.

Heres what I would do:
Go research the actual laws in your state, maybe even find out if what she said was true anywhere in the states.
Then go to your teacher and tell her that abstinance is something you feel very strongly about and you want to do a special presentation on it for the class. Try hard not to give away what your actual motives are.
Then get up in front of the class and present your findings about your teachers lies (don't outright call her a liar though, just show them). You can talk about the age of consent and let everyone in the class know that as soon as they reach that age of consent they are free to have as much legal consentual sex as they like!
If your state does have fornication laws or similar restrictions, then address that and try to get some facts on when the last time someone was actually charged under those laws.

I'll try that, but I don't think she'll let me. She's a very by the books kind of person. Plus we haven't even officially reached the sex ed unit yet. I might have a better shot then. I don't think more than maybe one or two kids believed her anyway. It just bugs me that she's even doing that. Plus what if the one idiot who believed her tried to get some kids they don't like in trouble for sex before marriage? That would be really bad for all parties involved.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 4:28 pm
PersephoneMediocris
Aiko_Kaida

Heres what I would do:

I'll try that, but I don't think she'll let me. She's a very by the books kind of person. Plus we haven't even officially reached the sex ed unit yet. I might have a better shot then. I don't think more than maybe one or two kids believed her anyway. It just bugs me that she's even doing that. Plus what if the one idiot who believed her tried to get some kids they don't like in trouble for sex before marriage? That would be really bad for all parties involved.
Then give her a copy and pass around another. If she ignores the copy you give her, well, she's a lying liar who tells lies. mad When you pass around a copy, just say (purposely loud), "Hey, look! Ms. X lied! Lied I tell you, lied!" Everybody loves the teacher to be wrong. They'll listen, and what'll she do? Write you up for passing notes?

If only one or two people believed it (and I have to note, you may not be giving your classmates enough credit there), eh, forget about it. Save your strength for the actual sex ed unit, or soemthing.

S. Shark

SterileNeedles

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 4:53 pm
PersephoneMediocris
I know this is untrue in the states as such a law would clash with the constitution and sex outside of marriage is done all the time in our society.

What part of the consitution would this law clash with if it existed if you don't mind my asking?  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 5:01 pm
PersephoneMediocris
I know this is untrue in the states as such a law would clash with the constitution and sex outside of marriage is done all the time in our society.
The fact that it's done all the time doesn't mean it isn't illegal. It's a very difficult law to enforce due to right to privacy. I have not looked recently, but I do know that some states still had such laws on the books in my lifetime. I am also curious how this would clash with the constitution. I would not be a fan of such laws, but I also wouldn't be surprised if they still existed somewhere in the states.  

Prinsesse Maggie

Lord Setar

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 5:04 pm
SterileNeedles
PersephoneMediocris

What part of the consitution would this law clash with if it existed if you don't mind my asking?

Right to privacy that is implied in the rights against unreasonable search and seizure onder the Fourth Amendment. Ninth Amendment would also count.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 5:09 pm
Lord Setar
SterileNeedles
PersephoneMediocris

Right to privacy that is implied in the rights against unreasonable search and seizure onder the Fourth Amendment. Ninth Amendment would also count.

Why is sodomy illegal then in certain states if this true? :/  

SterileNeedles

S. Shark

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 5:13 pm
SterileNeedles
Lord Setar
SterileNeedles
PersephoneMediocris

Why is sodomy illegal then in certain states if this true? :/
Because no one is stupid enough to try to enforce them. mrgreen

That, and they're pretty much unenforcable. Just think of it.

Lawyer: Mr. X, did you have a**l sex with Mr. Y?
Mr. X: (lying) No.
Lawyer: Mr. Y, did you have a**l sex with Mr. X?
Mr. Y: (lying) No.
Judge: Does the plaintiff have any physical evidence to the contrary?
Lawyer: No.
Judge: Case dismissed.

Pro-Choice Gaians

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas