Reply The United Martial Artists Guild
Why are you insulting TKD? Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

The Draken

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:39 am
I've seen about 10 posts in my short time here, all insulting TKD in one way or another. It's a fighting style, just like any other...(well, they're all different, but you know what I mean). So tell me, what's so wrong with TKD?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 2:40 pm
If you have seen my posts on TKD then I will say this I don't have a problem with TKD. I have problems with martial arts being watered down for sport this can go for any style not just TKD. A lot of TKD and Karate schools I have seen do point sparring I do not like this form of sparring because it's too unrealistic you get a point and back off this is how most of the schools are around here in my area. Most of the schools in my town and the 4 or 5 other towns around here seem to be more into geting medals and things. I am in it for combat training and I feel martial arts should have little to do with sports. The Korean military and I feel most Korean schools are more what I feel should be taught but I feel here in the USA and in some schools over seas and other places are teaching for competitive sport.

I took TKD for a short time and quit due mostly to the shools focuse on sport thats not what I want and I feel a lot of people get hurt training in such schools. I have read stories of martial artist geting kicked around by untrained street punks in most cases these martial artist had never trained in a reality based school. Now just becaus these people use this style or another and they are no good because they were not trained for real world self defence dose not mean that style is bad only that the school who trained this person failed.

Now if you train in TKD or Karate or some form of Chinese art if you are training for real and realy sparring in a realistic way then you should be ok no style is better or worse than any other style. I hear people bad mouth my style Wing Chun all the time. I try to show them the truth and spread knowledge about my art but some fools just don't listen to reason they have it stuck in their heads that their way is the only way. Now TKD is mainly a kicking art kicking styles are more for long range fighting the legs can keep people at a distance but styles like Wing Chun do not use high kicks is believed high kicks are not as combat effective. Your leg could be grabed and that would jeperdize your balance also it is hard to see and defend against a low kick. Now Wing Chun is not that great at a distance we stay in close thats our thing a good fighter should be able to fight in all ranges so it's up to us as martial artist to train for any thing and every thing we could end up geting into.

TKD is just like any thing elss it has it's ups and downs it's up to the ones training in the style to strengthen weak points. On Gaia there are mor TKD people than any other style at least from what I have seen. TKD is one of the top styles taught these days it is a very popular style it has fast devastating kicks. The people I have seen that have mastered it seem to levitate no other styles except for that of northern China has this kind of kicking skill. No one has a right to say the style it self is garbage.  

Wolf Nightshade
Vice Captain

ninja.ace

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 6:39 pm
I do traditional TKD personally. Ive done it for about 4 years now and love it.

But I think the major problem with it especially in America is its one of the biggest money martial art sports. I mean its in the olympics and because of that theres alot of schools for it popping up. Ive never seen as many MA schools as there has been for TKD or american karate. Plus not including all that since theres so many TKD schools, you get alot of the fake get your black belt in one day TKD mcdojos out there. Some people misuse and dishonor the sport by whoring it for money.  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 7:06 pm
I have also seen many people insulting TKD. Maybe it's from their own bad experiences. There are a lot of people taking TKD now, and not all of them are good at it. These people insulting TKD must have seen someone not very talented practicing in some way...or getting beat up. Tae Kwon Do is a great martial arts. It must be some of the students who have given it a bad name.  

DarkAngel_09

7,100 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100

nightwing773

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 7:18 pm
Sorry if it causes a problem, but I know a few of us simply don't like TKD because it's just for sport anymore, and alot of practitioners I have run into personally, have egos and think they can take on anyone because they won a bronze in sport TKD, and it really makes me dispise the art, martial arts shouldn't be just for sport in my view, it should be at least practical.  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:22 pm
Traditonal Martial arts is the way to go, the media and other crap try to modernize(sp) some art in a way it's so stupid.  

Shin2

The Draken

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 6:11 pm
Shin2
Traditonal Martial arts is the way to go, the media and other crap try to modernize(sp) some art in a way it's so stupid.

True.
I would love to learn ninpo(or however you spell it). But I have no schools like that around. Just Tae Kwon Do. I have a feeling those are only in China and Japan though (Ninpo schools).

I'd love to finally be able to use my shuriken and katana...and become a master of stealth...but...whatever. I'm only 13. D=

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 6:19 pm
Same here I was first interested in taking Ninjitsu but no schools were near my area.  

Shin2

Kitsune_Moon230

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 8:54 pm
There's nothing wrong with TKD.......in fact I do many different styles of Martial Arts including TKD. So I have no problem with it.  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 2:06 am
nightwing773
Sorry if it causes a problem, but I know a few of us simply don't like TKD because it's just for sport anymore, and alot of practitioners I have run into personally, have egos and think they can take on anyone because they won a bronze in sport TKD, and it really makes me dispise the art, martial arts shouldn't be just for sport in my view, it should be at least practical.

Same, I don't have a problem with traditional or combative, but i do with sport. I do traditional Budoka Karate, so I have a problem with sport style karate also, TKD just sticks out as being one of the most sporty and done for a buissness . I dissaprove of any martial-art being done for sport really. Shall I change the vote in my signature to say sport TKD??? I will then, if it will make you all happy. I hate the grading system also, a guy in my class has done TKD for 3 years and hads his black belt. That to traditonal MA's seems ridiculous I'll bet! I could have a TKD black belt 3 times over before I can even try for black.  

Mangafairy

Kiba_Inu

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 3:41 pm
I just started traditional TKD (thank God!) but it's not the first martial art I've done, but yeah in my area theres this Karate school that my step-bro used to go to and he was like blue belt in 3 weeks plus he never even remembered anything they taught him so basically he can't ever defend himself cuz the karate (or more should I say "yousuckersthinkyourdoingkarate!") school never taught him anything that was real or that you could remember. I think thats a bad influence to the whole MA community especially if your trying to get alot of dough off of it.  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 2:42 pm
if you got for aikido and hapkido, traditional on both, it takes 2 1/2 years to get a black belt if you cram it into years about 5 or 6 classes a week, every week of the year, and classing being 2 hours long a piece.

Personally, at my dojo, and any student I teach, I don't charge, because that also gives me the right to kick them out for disrespect, plus you get a better education, you can teach them what you want when you want, and you're not making promises to have them so far in whatever time limit, besides, it gives you time to make sure that they remember what you've taught them, and make sure they always will.  

nightwing773

ghostpalm

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 5:39 pm
hmm...i havent seen any bashing on tkd.......but i've been ragged on quite alot because i practice contemporary wushu. I say if you do not respect other martial arts, you disrespect yourself as a martial artist..... stare  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 4:16 pm
I say what ghostpalm said. biggrin  

choylifutsoccer

Roninofthewest

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 8:22 am
i agree with ghostpalm too. i would not train under any master that does not respect other styles and ways of training, or thinking.

no limitations as limitations, no style as style. (correct me if im wrong but i think thats how Bruce Lee said it.)  
The United Martial Artists Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff