Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reply The Metal Guild
The Metal Guild Recommendation Thread (READ FIRST POST) Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Durrypoo Ov Fire
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:21 am
Shade in the Shadow
Durrypoo, I dunno if this is asking too much of you, but would you be able to help me with this thread, like, when I'm not on for long periods of time, or when I just don't get around to updating? Being on Dial-Up, it's a pain in the arse.

Sure thing.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:41 am
Got two more.
Mortification - Scrolls of the Megilloth: Death Metal

Antestor - Martyrium: Black Metal  

Battousai Akuma

Ethereal Cereal

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:42 pm
I don't see Fates Warning on that list. It makes me sad sad

Make sure to note that Parallels and A Pleasant Shade of Gray are their best. Some awesome Progressive Metal 3nodding  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:14 pm
Virgin Black: Sombre Romantic for Goth Metal

Metallica - ...And Justive For All Thrash If its not on there.  

Battousai Akuma

azeil_death

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:29 pm
Hittokiri04
Virgin Black: Sombre Romantic for Goth Metal

Metallica - ...And Justive For All Thrash If its not on there.

Why would you even put Metallica in there? Especially and justice for all, because everyone and thier grand mother have heard that. (well... just the cool grandmothers)  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:38 am
Well I saw other Metallica albums on the list so I wanted that on on there too.  

Battousai Akuma

Nicko Holmes

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 2:05 am
Thrash:

Slayer - Seasons in the Abyss

Iced Earth - Horror Show

Iced Earth - Burnt Offerings (remastered version)

Iced Earth - Storm Rider

Iced Earth - Live in Athens (3 disc bundle)

Exodus - Tempo of the Damned

Doom:

My Dying Bride - Gods of the Sun  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 12:07 am
Wow, it looks like I am going to make my first night in this guild a real treat for everyone LOL. I just read every single post in this thread for a few reasons. One, to see if I have any recommendations that someone has yet to submit prior to this. Two, because following the "classification" chain has been quite entertaining and informative. Three, because I think that certain bands have been mis-classified. So lets start at the beginning with my first reason for being here.

Black Metal

Enslaved - Below the Lights, Isa, Ruun
Immortal - At the Heart of Winter, Sons of Northern Darkness
Naglfar - Any

Death Metal

Amon Amarth - Versus the World, With Oden At Our Side
Behemoth - Zos Kia Cultus, Demigod
Bloodbath - Ressurection Through Carnage
Dark Tranquillity - Damage Done
Decapitated - Organic Hallucinosis
Kalmah - They Will Return
Lamb Of God - Any
Mercenary - The Hours That Remain (best metal album, bar none, in the last few years)
Nile - Annihilation of the Wicked, Black Seeds of Vengeance, In Their Darkened Shrines
Scar Symmetry - Pitch Black Progress (wow just wow and omfg wow)
Soilwork - Any
Vital Remains - Dechristianize

Doom Metal

Draconian - The Burning Halo
Katatonia - Any
My Dying Bride - A Line of Deathless Kings, Songs of Darkness, Words of Light, The Dreadful Hours
Solitude Aeturnus - Alone

Folk Metal

Moonsorrow - Any

Gothic Metal

Flowing Tears - Razorbliss
Trail of Tears - Existentia, Free Fall Into Fear, New Dimension of Might

Power Metal

Kamelot - Any
Nevermore - Any (how could you all miss THESE guys???)

The biggest problem that I see with classifying a band and/or album into a certain category is that it's not only subject to personal opinion but also that many styles can be present during the course of an album. You guys should check out the Metal Observer website to see how many categories they have and notice that many bands will be listed in more than one.

As far as mis-classifications go, putting Opeth in Progressive Metal is wrong. Opeth includes progressive elements into their Death Metal, not the other way around. They need to be either in the Death Metal camp or a new Progressive Death Metal camp needs to be set up for them and others of the same ilk, like Agalloch.

For people to say that a band such as Lamb Of God is metalcore and not deserving of entry into the list need to go back and actually listen to the music. There is nothing metalcore about them. Theirs is a mix of thrash and death metal and no less an authority than the All Music Guide categorizes them as Death Metal. I move that they should be placed on the list.

Oh and if you're going to put Judas Priest in the list, please take "Ram It Down" off. That album is widely known to be one of THE worst albums they ever recorded. Replace it with "Painkiller" and "Screaming for Vengeance."

Yeah I take my music seriously because I am a huge metal fan and have been for about twenty years now smile  

Hydragon

Divinus Cruor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 1:33 am
Lamb of God is not metalcore, vut I also think it's not metal at all.  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:42 am
Victum Soul

Not metal? LOL. Into which category would you place it? Country? Power Pop? Gangsta Rap? Have you ever listened to their music? Seriously, go listen to a song like "Blood Junkie" from the "As The Palaces Burn" album and tell me that Lamb of God isn't metal.  

Hydragon

Divinus Cruor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 12:18 pm
Hydragon
Victum Soul

Not metal? LOL. Into which category would you place it? Country? Power Pop? Gangsta Rap? Have you ever listened to their music? Seriously, go listen to a song like "Blood Junkie" from the "As The Palaces Burn" album and tell me that Lamb of God isn't metal.
lamb of god isn't metal. It's just some pretenscious-radio-rock-band trying to be somehow metal. Which is not.

And, BTW, didn't you say :

Hydragon
classifying a band and/or album into a certain category is that it's not only subject to personal opinion"

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 12:38 pm
You're absolutely right, I did say that. I just disagree with your assertion that Lamb of God is anything but metal and I haven't seen anyone tell me why they think it's not a Death Metal band. All I see people doing is putting them down and not explaining why they do so.  

Hydragon

Shade in the Shadow
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 5:40 pm
Okay, thanks for the amazing list, I'll be sure to add it eventually, if durrypoo doesn't beat me to it. xD

Lamb of God I am STILL not adding though, because most of the guild, myself included, consider them to be metalcore. Also, this list is actually done more so by Metal-Archives, thus the reason I have Opeth under Progressive as opposed to Death. The only problem with adding a list for Prog/Death, then I might as well do it for Power/Prog, Prog/Black, Power/Thrash, etc. etc.  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 5:52 pm
Shade in the Shadow
Okay, thanks for the amazing list, I'll be sure to add it eventually, if durrypoo doesn't beat me to it. xD

Lamb of God I am STILL not adding though, because most of the guild, myself included, consider them to be metalcore. Also, this list is actually done more so by Metal-Archives, thus the reason I have Opeth under Progressive as opposed to Death. The only problem with adding a list for Prog/Death, then I might as well do it for Power/Prog, Prog/Black, Power/Thrash, etc. etc.

You are very much welcome. I noticed that there are a few bands/albums that I forgot to include but will be making another post eventually with some more additions. Also, I will hereby drop Lamb of God off the list and refrain from discussing it further. When I get fired up about something I really get fired up LOL. I'm just passionate about the music biggrin

The thing about Opeth is that with each new album they seem to move further into Progressive Metal territory and away from Death Metal. They started out as more of a Death Metal band with flourishes of Prog. I listened to their "Deliverance" album in its entirety today (been a long time, old friend) and I imagine that a case could indeed be made for their inclusion in the Progressive Metal category.

And thanks for letting an old man rant about the best music on the planet!  

Hydragon

Jonnnn

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 12:21 pm
Agalloch. surprised

They are Experimental. But I see you dont have a catagory for it so stick em in Black if you must.  
The Metal Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff