Reply Pro-Choice Gaians
Arguments that you hate Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 7 8 9 10 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Akhakhu

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:13 am
I can't speak for everyone, but I would have NEVER made fun of her about her excuse of being a nurse's daughter if her facts weren't completely wrong. The statement she made that she "asked mummy dearest" and "mummy dearest" said this so that means that all our links, all our medical textbooks, etc... must all be wrong is just above and beyond silliness and fully warranted tearing apart in any way possible.  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:27 am
Kukushka
I can't speak for everyone, but I would have NEVER made fun of her about her excuse of being a nurse's daughter if her facts weren't completely wrong. The statement she made that she "asked mummy dearest" and "mummy dearest" said this so that means that all our links, all our medical textbooks, etc... must all be wrong is just above and beyond silliness and fully warranted tearing apart in any way possible.
100% agree.  

Talon-chan

MipsyKitten
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 6:02 pm
Talon-chan
While citing that as an appeal to authority would be completely and entirely wrong/fallacious/whatever... one is not entirely full of s**t when one says that because of familial or work place ties they've come across knowledge not readily accessible or of great familiarity to others.

I'd trust a doctor before I'd trust the doctor's wife. I'd trust the doctor's wife before I'd trust a layperson.

Except that she's saying that hers, and her mother's opinions on the pill are coprrect, or somehow 'better' than ours, because of her mother's profession and her ties with her. We all know that even with the average use, hormonal birth control is more effective than condoms adn other barrier methods. This is what get's me. How can someone be in the medical profession, and say that?

Personal preferrence is different. Someone can prefer condoms over the pill for various reasons, but to say condoms are better overall isn't correct. Granted, using both would be even better, but if it's pregnancy you don't want, the pill would be the right way to go.  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 7:39 pm
You know that one argument, That isn't an argument at all.

Goes like.
"I'm right. Now get away from me before I fall to the ground screaming bloody murder."

Seriously.  

misplaced_left_sock

Akhakhu

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 6:12 am
MipsyKitten
but if it's pregnancy you don't want, the pill would be the right way to go.

That depends. If you are incapable (for whatever reason) of taking it on time or even taking it every day, then the condom is the way to go.

I know what you are saying. Taken regularly, it is the most effective. I'm just saying that it's humans we're talking about here wink So know yourself. If you are irresponsible or have a very poor sense of time or have a crazy schedule that changes every day, just use condoms. But if you are OK with taking the pill every day, then that is the best choice (barring negative reactions you may have).  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 8:36 am
Kukushka
MipsyKitten
but if it's pregnancy you don't want, the pill would be the right way to go.

That depends. If you are incapable (for whatever reason) of taking it on time or even taking it every day, then the condom is the way to go.

I know what you are saying. Taken regularly, it is the most effective. I'm just saying that it's humans we're talking about here wink So know yourself. If you are irresponsible or have a very poor sense of time or have a crazy schedule that changes every day, just use condoms. But if you are OK with taking the pill every day, then that is the best choice (barring negative reactions you may have).

*nods*

Personally I can't use condoms on their own. I just don't feel as safe. If I'm in a monogomous relationship with someone I love, then I will use the pill on it's own, or use both. I know it's just me, but I can't help it sweatdrop I feel, "well if it rips I'm pretty much ********". I like the back up, and when I can get ahold of Plan B, I might feel a bit better.  

MipsyKitten
Crew

Akhakhu

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 11:31 am
I was on the pill alone, but it worried me. With a condom, you can often see when something goes wrong. Like a hole or it slips off or something. But if, for some reason, the pill fails, there's nothing visible. It really worried me. But, like you, just being on condoms really worried me as well. So now I'm on the pill and we use condoms every time as well. After we have a kid, the man's gonna have his "balls ripped to shreds" (if you all remember a certain Abortion Thread poster wink ) and then we'll just do that. I may continue the pill anyway, though, because I really like some of the other effects. Like, it keeps my skin really clear and it acts as a mini-calendar so I always know when to expect my period.  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 1:55 pm
Another argument I hate...

TheOtherSideOfThings
Sex is only for furthering a species. Anything else is for human pleasure. That's it. Every animal (But Dolphins) on the face of the earth that has sexual encounters are for procreation And any benefits from sex are just that, benefits. It's not to get a good work out, prove you really like someone, clear out the pipes, or just hate fUC@ someone. Humans abuse sex. And I know what is responsible: taking care of and owning up to your actions. So again, if you get pregnant when you did not want to and then getting rid of your error is not taking responsibility. So responsibility is a person who goes out and haves sex, gets pregnant, and then says I have made a mistake, but I will not chicken out of taking care of this child because I was to carefree. I got pregnant after having protected sex (whether it's the pill, condoms, diaphragms, pulling out, etc.) And will take care of this child and make sure they do not make the same mistake twice.
Humans see themselves higher than the animal kingdom because of speech, intelligence, and there philosophies. So they feel they do not follow the laws of the animal kingdom. Never saw a female lion sit on a bush to abort a pregnancy. Humans do not have responsibility because Man or Woman have taken it away with pills, operations, and bypasses. Such as smokers being able to have transplants. Takes away responsibility. Here is a great definition of responsibility: the word responsibility has at least two related meanings: * the obligation to answer for actions. A degree of control which has attained meaning for society. Synonym: morality. Analog: understanding.

So again. A person who has sex and knows the risks should be held accountable for having life grow in their belly. So lets recap. People who get pregnant and abort have no responsibility, doctors hate people with STDs, smokers are committing slow suicide, responsibility doesn't matter anymore, and in animal kingdom kids rule!

Basically, "anyone who has sex for reasons other than procreation is irresponsible"(says who?), "only dolphins can have sex without will to procreate"(SAYS WHO?) and "abortion isn't responsible"(how is it not?).  

Lord Setar

[ Z a d i i e ]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 7:03 pm
Dolphins. Ahaha. Wow.  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 3:07 am
@ The mini-discussion about the pill alone idea:

Please, take my word for it, double up. The pill alone, even when taken everyday ended up failing me and I don't want to see it fail anyone else.

At least mix it with withdrawl method. 3nodding  

October Cross

Fluffy Conventioneer

5,300 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Flatterer 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300

Prinsesse Maggie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 7:17 am
Lord Setar
TheOtherSideOfThings
So again, if you get pregnant when you did not want to and then getting rid of your error is not taking responsibility.
This kind of crap annoys me the most. I really don't understand the thinking that abortion as an "eraser" or "error remover" is not taking responsibility. First of all, it's not as if it's an easy decision with no consequences. It's just not that fun. "Getting rid of your error" and "erasing" make it sound as if there is no thought involved and no consequences.

But more to the point, how many people have ever screwed something up, and then fixed it? Anyone? Say, you spill ketchup all over your shirt. Do you wash it? Or do you leave the ketchup there as a constant reminder of the carelessness that led to your dirty shirt? How long should you be punished for your screwup?

If you're going to call an unwanted pregnancy an "error" then why can't the people who committed the "error" have a choice in how to resolve it, as it is with most errors? The fact that it's a much bigger deal than spilling ketchup only strengthens this. It will affect my life in a much bigger way, so I will decide the best course of action for my situation.  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 6:27 pm
Last time I check, "erasing" a "mistake" doesn't cost $500, carry risks of its own, and is painful. "Erasing" the "mistake" of consentual sex, to me, would be like making it so that I don't have to suffer ANY consequences.  

Akhakhu

[ agoraphobia ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 6:23 am
- Just put it up for adoption.
A lot of lifers seem to not know how much of a burden pregnancy is.

- Sex is just for procreation
Which is why we have contraceptives in the first place.

- It's MURDER!
You know the drill.

- She needs to deal with the consequences of sex
How is abortion not a consequence?

- It's wrong
Not to everyone.

- Rape victims can abort, not those slutty women who actually consented to sex!
Once again, you know the drill.

- It'll always happen, even if it's outlawed.
Same with rape.  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 4:49 pm
I am in a conservative area highschool and recently got one I NEVER would have expected.

In my biology class we had a handout on In Vitro babies, and then one on drug abuse and it's affects on babies. I don't recall exactly what I said when asked for my opinion but it was something along the lines of "Well the government is worried about In Vitro creation not only because it goes against standards of nature (and the bible) but also because they are afraid of women selling eggs on the black market and becoming like prostitutes. "
At this point I'm not 100% sure where my teacher came from (and I've probably forgotten part of the discussion) but she says offhandedly (yet not unkindly) "Oh so you're pro-abortion." <-direct quote.
I was AMAZED! I said "Now, hang on a second. I'm NOT pro-abortion. I'm pro-CHOICE! The only person who I could think would be pro-abortion would be Hitler..." and everyone in the room looked at me with either that "BABY KILLER!" look or the deer stuck in the headlights completely lost look. So i just kinda sighed and said "It's a free country..."

I was just so floored by the fact that people would think someone could be PRO-ABORTION! it was a realization for me as to how misconception(no pun intended) of a simple phrase can greatly alter how a message is given.

Electric Kool-Aid

ChemicalSoiree

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 8:13 pm
There are 2 arguments I especially hate:

"Your mommy brought you into this world." At the abortion clinic this women who looked like she was tweeking or tripping was yelling that at the top of her lungs. WTF kind of sense or relevancy does that have?

"God will hate you forever!" I don't believe in God. I don't care, and the bible says not to judge anyway! scream

Pro-Choice Gaians

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 7 8 9 10 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff