Arguments that you hate Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 7 8 9 10 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Aiko_Kaida

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:18 am
Freedom Fire

~If the woman got raped, the baby would make things better because it would make her happy

This is probably the thing that makes me the most angry. I can kind of understand where people are coming from when they say things like "It wasn't the baby's fault." I understand that since they really see the baby as a person they don't think that person should be "punished" for another persons crime. I don't agree with them, but at least I can understand their perspective.
But these people who claim that giving birth to the offspring of a rapist will magically make things better either know they are lieing, or are complete morons.
You know what I would have done if I had found out I was pregnant after I was raped? I would have ended my life.
Not only would I have had to live each day feeling that thing growing inside me, I would have had to live with the knowledge that I was going to give birth to the offspring of a man who was more like a monster.
When I thought I was pregnant I was so terrified because I knew that this guy was insane, and I was so afraid that if I gave birth to his child I would be bringing another psychopath and rapist into the world. Psychiatrists still haven't figured out what causes psychopathy. It could be genetic.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:28 am
Remenbered another one:

"Forbiding abortion will end tenage pregnancies"

The poster then proceeded to explain then there would be a need to educate teenagers on contraceptives, and what not... I guess she must have never heard of a little something we like to call absistence only education, that just happens to be so freaking popular in the US rolleyes

PS: changed the title  

RMarques

Aiko_Kaida

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:30 am
MipsyKitten
"Abortion is ok as long as it isn't used as birth control."

First of all, someone needs to learn the difference between contraceptives and birth control. Birth control *gasp* controls birth. Withdrawl is birth control, but can NOT be a contraceptive. Condoms are contraceptives and birth control. Abortion controls birth. Get the ******** over it.

When I was a teenager, I said this. Of course I meant contraceptives, but at 14 I really didn't understand the right terminology for things.
I think at that age I didn't really understand how easy it was for contraceptives to fail.

I still have a problem with people who use abortion over and over again rather than using an effective contraceptive. If you can't remember to take a pill reliably or use a condom every time, then you should find something that does work for you. It really bothers me when I see girls/women having multiple abortions rather than using contraceptives. Abortion is a serious thing and like any surgery it comes with risks. I don't think it is something to be taken lightly.
I knew a girl in high school who got pregnant for the first time at 12 years old. She continued the pregnancy and gave the baby up for adoption. The whole thing was really traumatizing for her so the next time she got pregnant she chose abortion. I didn't see anything wrong with that. I didn't even see anything wrong with the second abortion. But by the time she graduated she had had 8 abortions, including an abortion that took place at about 20 weeks simply because she "didn't have time" she schedule an earlier abortion. When she had the abortion at 20 weeks she had to travel out of state for it and was gone for about four days. She came back to school on a Monday and joked about how she "had a real killer weekend". A few of this girl's pregnancies were the result of failed contraceptives. But many of them happened because she didn't insist on a condom or didn't reliably take her pills.
While I don't believe that she should have been denied the right to an abortion, I am really upset by her behavior. It just doesn't seem right. Abortion is such an difficult decision for most women, but for her it was as normal as getting her teeth cleaned.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:22 am
Aiko_Kaida
MipsyKitten

First of all, someone needs to learn the difference between contraceptives and birth control. Birth control *gasp* controls birth. Withdrawl is birth control, but can NOT be a contraceptive. Condoms are contraceptives and birth control. Abortion controls birth. Get the ******** over it.

When I was a teenager, I said this. Of course I meant contraceptives, but at 14 I really didn't understand the right terminology for things.
I think at that age I didn't really understand how easy it was for contraceptives to fail.

I still have a problem with people who use abortion over and over again rather than using an effective contraceptive. If you can't remember to take a pill reliably or use a condom every time, then you should find something that does work for you. It really bothers me when I see girls/women having multiple abortions rather than using contraceptives. Abortion is a serious thing and like any surgery it comes with risks. I don't think it is something to be taken lightly.
I knew a girl in high school who got pregnant for the first time at 12 years old. She continued the pregnancy and gave the baby up for adoption. The whole thing was really traumatizing for her so the next time she got pregnant she chose abortion. I didn't see anything wrong with that. I didn't even see anything wrong with the second abortion. But by the time she graduated she had had 8 abortions, including an abortion that took place at about 20 weeks simply because she "didn't have time" she schedule an earlier abortion. When she had the abortion at 20 weeks she had to travel out of state for it and was gone for about four days. She came back to school on a Monday and joked about how she "had a real killer weekend". A few of this girl's pregnancies were the result of failed contraceptives. But many of them happened because she didn't insist on a condom or didn't reliably take her pills.
While I don't believe that she should have been denied the right to an abortion, I am really upset by her behavior. It just doesn't seem right. Abortion is such an difficult decision for most women, but for her it was as normal as getting her teeth cleaned.

Agreed, for the most part anyway. I'm not really annoyed by her actions because she's making a normally hard decision as if it's an everyday thing, so much as I'm aggravated by the fact that she isn't using contraception.

As far as the failed contraceptives go, it's possible that she just has really shitty luck with them. Or, whoever she's ******** doesn't know how to properly use a condom, or she is ill-informed on how to take the pill (though I doubt the latter, because if she's had eight abortions you'd think the abortion clinics she went to would have given her free contraception and instructions on how to use them).

I for one am glad that she realizes that she can't go through another pregnancy or raise a child at this point (as opposed to deciding that because she wants a baaaybee and no matter what her financial or emotional situation is, she's going to have a baby, dammit!), given that she appears to not be the best candidate for being a mother. But at the same time, it's still a little mind-boggling that she just lives her life like this. confused She can save so much time, money, effort and risks by just properly using a damn condom or pill. Especially a condom--good protection against STDs.  

[Ernie]

October Cross

Fluffy Conventioneer

5,300 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Flatterer 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 1:40 pm
I had a friend of mine who is pro-life sprout:

"Fact: 95% of abortions are used as birth control."

I couldn't help but laugh.

I refuted with:

"Fact: 100% of abortions are used as birth control. It controls birth and therefore is a form of birth control."

He told me I had insane logic. I told him sit and tinker over it for a long while.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 3:10 pm
[Ernie]
Aiko_Kaida
MipsyKitten

Agreed, for the most part anyway. I'm not really annoyed by her actions because she's making a normally hard decision as if it's an everyday thing, so much as I'm aggravated by the fact that she isn't using contraception.

As far as the failed contraceptives go, it's possible that she just has really shitty luck with them. Or, whoever she's ******** doesn't know how to properly use a condom, or she is ill-informed on how to take the pill (though I doubt the latter, because if she's had eight abortions you'd think the abortion clinics she went to would have given her free contraception and instructions on how to use them).

I for one am glad that she realizes that she can't go through another pregnancy or raise a child at this point (as opposed to deciding that because she wants a baaaybee and no matter what her financial or emotional situation is, she's going to have a baby, dammit!), given that she appears to not be the best candidate for being a mother. But at the same time, it's still a little mind-boggling that she just lives her life like this. confused She can save so much time, money, effort and risks by just properly using a damn condom or pill. Especially a condom--good protection against STDs.

I saw her recently and she now has a year old baby. I guess after she had been out of high school for a while she decided to actually have the baby and keep it. From what I have heard she is doing well and the dad is involved with the baby even though they aren't together anymore.  

Aiko_Kaida

Mera Hei

Timid Rogue

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 4:19 pm
"You're murdering an adorable kid who had no say in it!"
"What if you were aborted? Your friends would be sad!"
"God's against it!"
"It's punishment for" (Sorry if I'm being too explicit.) "spreading her legs!"
"It was created by Satan and evil men!"
"That baby could cure cancer!"
"Abortion has deadly side effects, while pregnancy doesn't!"

All of these were used by a friend of mine who tried to convert me to being a Pro-Lifer. I countered all of them, but she still thinks she's right and I'm an evil baby killer.
If that's how she wants to play, I'll just call her a traitor for trying to take away my-and other women's- rights.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 5:01 pm
Just remembered one from the lovely and intelligent xicer rolleyes

"Abortion is only for sex addicts who can't deal with the consequences of thier actions."  

Half Baked SF

Faeyas

6,700 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 5:06 pm
"S/he's a baby, not a choice!"

The funny thing is with english grammar we can read this two ways.

"This is a child, you have no choice in the matter"

"This is a child, you cannot choose her."

While we understand that what is meant to be said is the following:

"This is a child, Not a "Choice" " implying that had the option of CHOICE been involved the child wouldn't be.

My problem with this argument is that is holds little power other than emotional huey.

The Mother chose to have the child. While this often isn't true and the child was an error in judgement, one knows that chooising to have a child, is in reality. A CHOICE.

I cannot choose to have a child? WHOA, I assume that when I want a baby, that there will be many routes to getting one. Despite the decresing routes to NOT haveing a child. (any other than me notice how prolife is kinda like "Pro baby boom?")

When I have a child I would kindly like ot have a choice in the matter, anything other than that is considered RAPE. which last time I checked, was illegal.

This is why I don't like this argument, thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:00 pm
Oxymoronic Username

O RLY? I guess we should ban most surgeries because there's a chance you can die. And having babies, too, because you can die from that. rolleyes

I don't remember hearing too many of these but just... wow. If I ever heard someone use one of them in real life I'd probably snap. The pro-life "argument" I like least is the infamous "men don't have abortions so why should women?" I told my mom about it and she started laughing.  

Peppermint Schnapps

Nethilia

Liberal Member

3,450 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 1:53 am
"The woman made her choice when she had sex!"

Yeah, and using that logic you made your choice when you decided to walk across the street against the light and a car plowed you down.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 1:00 pm
Peppermint Schnapps
Oxymoronic Username

O RLY? I guess we should ban most surgeries because there's a chance you can die. And having babies, too, because you can die from that. rolleyes

I don't remember hearing too many of these but just... wow. If I ever heard someone use one of them in real life I'd probably snap. The pro-life "argument" I like least is the infamous "men don't have abortions so why should women?" I told my mom about it and she started laughing.
Oh, yeah.

"Men don't have to kill to get free sex, so why should women?"

Men don't (?) shouldn't have to worry about having thier rights stripped after sex, so why should women?

(This made more sense in my head)  

Half Baked SF

WatersMoon110

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 1:13 pm
Nethilia
"The woman made her choice when she had sex!"

Yeah, and using that logic you made your choice when you decided to walk across the street against the light and a car plowed you down.

And then they have the nerve to object to the "choice to get in a car=no medical attention" comparasion.

Why is sex the only choice that someone can't reverse? I don't think I will ever understand that line of reasoning.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 2:30 pm
Toga! Toga!
Peppermint Schnapps
Oxymoronic Username

Oh, yeah.

"Men don't have to kill to get free sex, so why should women?"

Men don't (?) shouldn't have to worry about having thier rights stripped after sex, so why should women?

(This made more sense in my head)
My retort to these would be: "Men can't give birth so why should women?"

Arguments I hate:

- If its not a baby your not pregnant.
- 99% of abortions are Partial Birth!!!!one!1  

LadyInWhite

3,800 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Citizen 200

Mera Hei

Timid Rogue

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 4:54 pm
Peppermint Schnapps
Oxymoronic Username

When I finished reading that "Men don't have abortions" thing, I cried. How could anyone be so stupid to not realize that men don't NEED abortions?! (Castration {sp?}, on the other hand..)  
Pro-Choice Gaians

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 7 8 9 10 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff