Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
A Journal of Survival

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Tenth Speed Writer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 11:21 am
Back story: Five years ago, I made a vow never to return to a public school. This has left me in a very interesting situation as far as choosing a place of education goes. I was left with only two options:

Sign up for the Capitol school, and pay 70% of the tuition from my own pocket, pulling a 25 hour work week.

OR

Accept an invitation to American Christian Academy, and continue to receive funding from family members.

The latter being the, at the time, lesser of the two evils, I reluctantly accepted the invitation. Now, here, in the heart of the Bible Belt, I will bring to you a first hand account of my survival.

Expect anywhere from one to three updates per week starting on the first day of this school year and ending with the semester.

P.S.: c a u s t i c approved of this.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 11:23 am
Day Zero: C-Day

Survivor's log, day one. I've attended the indoctrination. Before me, there were faces both familiar and new. A fragile shell I could once call my cousin and friend greeted me, with… those eyes, cold and emotionless, like dolls’ eyes…

Yes… we were herded into groups by age and grade. The objects which we were to hold as our temporary bibles, these “AGENDAS,” were passed accordingly. Strange markings adorned the inside, decorating such passages as “MISSION STATEMENT” and “CODE OF CONDUCT.”

The one I’ve identified as the leader, a Doctor Daniel Carden, spoke for the longest time. We were confined to rough plastic seats which dug into the flesh with neither mercy nor care; this was, obviously, a ritualistic cleansing by pain to accompany the ceremony.

There was an occasional interlude, in which an odd form of tribal dance by a group calling themselves a “Danskuad,” was displayed. I regrettably admit that their movements were dazzling, almost hypnotic. Surely, were it not for my steeled will, I would have risked becoming susceptible to that which was being fed to me.

Among the things listed which were demanded of us, I have yet to acquire the signature of my relatives, as they require this for some curious purpose.

I will continue to report on this place for as long as I am able, this I do swear.

~~End Day Zero~~

----------

Day One: Into the foxhole

The first day has been completed. The groups from the pervious day have been broken, and each of us assigned to a number of what appear to be religious leaders who have called themselves “Tichos.” These individuals have been assigned to further teach us the ways of the Krissins, and of their views of the world around them.

Each of them has been ordered to provide us with orders to be followed outside of the re-education hours; these orders are to do such things as read certain sections of their sacred tomes, or to prove once more that we have adapted to the teachings.

As I crawled back into my temporary dwelling, I opened one such tome upon an above mentioned order, titled” Hysterie.” What I found within was truly stomach turning. The “introduction” spoke of the weakness of man, but spoke little of such vanity it would take to bring into existence a race in one’s own image...

It spoke that those who would not deny the faults and discrepancies of their most sacred text, which they refer to as a “Holey bye bell,” would not understand the workings of the world and their own place in it.

How I will survive in this place for three years is a mystery unto its self.

~~End Day One~~  

Tenth Speed Writer

Tenth Speed Writer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 11:25 am
Following updates can be found along the thread, as well as posted above.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 1:25 pm
The latter seems the best choice. I don't see what is wrong with public schools, i've been to a variety of different schools:

- A church if england school in england
- A roman catholic school in england
- A nonreligious private 'british' school in an arabic-speaking country (U.A.E)
- A nonreligious middle school in england
- A standard 'comprehensive' (eq. public high) school in england
- A (free, so public) selective grammar school in england. Selective= have to pass a test to get in, takes top 150 of applicants according to results(out of about 800 applicants total), as long as they have passed the test fairly decently.

That's a lot of schools, and the last was the best, though it was non-fee paying so what you would call 'public'. The catholic one was the worst in terms of teaching quality and resources, general quality of education.

The private school (the one in the U.A.E, the only private one out of all of them) wasn't noticably better than the others, even though the company my dad worked for was paying for it as part of the contract out there. The quality of teaching was good, but not something so great i'd be willing to fork out to send my own kids to a private school when I have them. I was bullied the second-worst there out of all the schools I was at (the comprehensive being the worst).

I tell you all of this to give my own example that public schools aren't all that bad, and ask you:

Why did you make the vow never to return to a public school?

This journal could be interesting, though. i'm looking forward to seeing how you fit in 3nodding . good luck mrgreen

Muaethia

Tenth Speed Writer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 1:57 pm
Muaethia
The latter seems the best choice. I don't see what is wrong with public schools, i've been to a variety of different schools:

- A (free, so public) selective grammar school in england. Selective= have to pass a test to get in, takes top 150 of applicants according to results(out of about 800 applicants total), as long as they have passed the test fairly decently.

That's a lot of schools, and the last was the best, though it was non-fee paying so what you would call 'public'. The catholic one was the worst in terms of teaching quality and resources, general quality of education.

The private school (the one in the U.A.E, the only private one out of all of them) wasn't noticably better than the others, even though the company my dad worked for was paying for it as part of the contract out there. The quality of teaching was good, but not something so great i'd be willing to fork out to send my own kids to a private school when I have them. I was bullied the second-worst there out of all the schools I was at (the comprehensive being the worst).

I tell you all of this to give my own example that public schools aren't all that bad, and ask you:

This journal could be interesting, though. i'm looking forward to seeing how you fit in 3nodding . good luck mrgreen

Well, it wasn't really a vow, but I detest the teenage population in my home town. Plus, I needed something that sounded draumatic. =P  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 2:09 pm
addseale2
Muaethia

Well, it wasn't really a vow, but I detest the teenage population in my home town. Plus, I needed something that sounded draumatic. =P

I live in Elland, in England. That probably doesn't mean much to you, but if you've ever heard of 'chavs' then you'll understand. Go to wikipedia, they are the plague of Britain lol. I coped 6 weeks in a 'public' school with them before becoming depressed. At the age of 12. Then, I just went to another one (in another nearby town only, like, 4 miles away) and it was ok, I just have to go to the next town to see my friends. Surely there's more than one public high school in your town? Or there's a neighboring town?

I don't even know why i'm bringing all this up. I'm a little tipsy. I should go to bed -_-

Muaethia

Tenth Speed Writer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 3:50 pm
Muaethia
addseale2
Muaethia

I live in Elland, in England. That probably doesn't mean much to you, but if you've ever heard of 'chavs' then you'll understand. Go to wikipedia, they are the plague of Britain lol. I coped 6 weeks in a 'public' school with them before becoming depressed. At the age of 12. Then, I just went to another one (in another nearby town only, like, 4 miles away) and it was ok, I just have to go to the next town to see my friends. Surely there's more than one public high school in your town? Or there's a neighboring town?

I don't even know why i'm bringing all this up. I'm a little tipsy. I should go to bed -_-

Well, the only school in my district is located behind a truck stop and tends to the rural students. (By rural, I mean redneck. Not the good kind either.)  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 12:03 pm
First recording is in!  

Tenth Speed Writer

Tenth Speed Writer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 2:57 pm
Day One: Into the foxhole

The first day has been completed. The groups from the pervious day have been broken, and each of us assigned to a number of what appear to be religious leaders who have called themselves “Tichos.” These individuals have been assigned to further teach us the ways of the Krissins, and of their views of the world around them.

Each of them has been ordered to provide us with orders to be followed outside of the re-education hours; these orders are to do such things as read certain sections of their sacred tomes, or to prove once more that we have adapted to the teachings.

As I crawled back into my temporary dwelling, I opened one such tome upon an above mentioned order, titled” Hysterie.” What I found within was truly stomach turning. The “introduction” spoke of the weakness of man, but spoke little of such vanity it would take to bring into existence a race in one’s own image...

It spoke that those who would not deny the faults and discrepancies of their most sacred text, which they refer to as a “Holey bye bell,” would not understand the workings of the world and their own place in it.

How I will survive in this place for three years is a mystery unto its self.

~~End Day One~~  
The Main Discussion Place

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff