Submit

Would you join the military?
  Yes
  No
View Results

Hylonomus
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 11:38 am
While tradition is great, the martial arts community usually neglects to aknowledge the modern martial arts and styles practiced by the militarys of the world. This includes hand to hand, marksmanship, and close quarters combat.

Now, I am not a fan of war. In fact, I am the type most likely to be pissing off recuriters and singing Alice's Resturaunt then selling my soul to the Army... however I also realise that I am living in a world where guns are the swords of the day, and I'm the kind of person that likes to be able to defend himself.

So... without further ado... In this thread I'm going to be discussing the styles and training that is best suited for combat in the modern battlefield, as well as some of the fun toys that the military plays with.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 10:45 pm
The US Marine Corps

The first part of this thread will honor one of the few things America does right anymore, The US Marine Corps. If there is one thing that America is good at, it's killing people in other countries, and nobody kills quite as well or efficiantly as the Marines.

As far as firearms goes, the marines use the same as the Army, although sometimes with outdated equipment. Currently, the standard issue rifle for the US armed forces is the M16A4. The M16's first time in the field was in the jungles of Vietnam, where it was met with mixed, although mostly negetive reviews from soldiers. It was unreliable in the humid climate, where it was difficult to keep the weapon dry. Many soldiers used condoms to protect the barrel of their rifles, others just used the trusty AK47 or M14.

One thing that soldiers did like about the M16, was the round it fired. The 5.56 round was lighter then the 7.62x39 that Charely used, and didn't share the same range, accuracy or knockdown power. However, it was more accurate at short and medium ranges, using a high velocity, flat trajectory. The benifit of the 5.56 is the oddball ballistics that kick in when it is fired into a soft target. They tumble, and keep going. This means that a shot in your shoulder would come out your a**, or vica-versa. This also means that if you fired at a tree, wooden bunker or fallen log, hot lead is going to rain down in all directions.

The modern version of the M16 had improved reliability with a variety of features such as a sping-loaded dust-flap that covers the bolt and a convenient pull-lever for clearing jams. It also improves on the basic Stoner design like improved sight rails and heat shields.

The smaller, lighter cousin of the M16 is the M4. This is slowly phasing out the M16 as the US continuously tries to find a replacement after scrapping both the XM-29 and XM-8 programs. The FN-SCAR is currently finding limited use with US Special Forces. The M4 is a comfertable and reliable weapon to fire, although it tends to ride up easy due to the light weight in my experiences with it. (I prefer heavier rifles like an M14 or an SKS.)

When it comes to unarmed combat, the Marines train in MCMAP, which is a martial art specifically designed for Marines to use in the field. The martial art is a combination of the best parts of several traditional martial arts including (but not limited to) Karate, Judo and Aikido. MCMAP or Marine Corps Martial Arts Program is an expanded version of the LINE combat system, which was too lethal to be taught exclusively.

LINE or Linear Infighting Nuerological-override Engagement is an extremely brutal yet effective martial art similiar to the Isreali's Krav Maga. The main objective of LINE is to engage as many pain alarms in the opponent's brain as possible while simultaniously disabling the opponent's ability to fight back. This includes strikes to the throat, temple and groin as well as limb-breaking grapples. Once the opponent is on the ground, LINE teaches Marines to finish their opponent off with a powerful heel-stomp to the skull. This final attack insures that the opponent is incipacitated, if not dead.

LINE also teaches effective and economical use of low-tech weapons such as knives and bayonets, as well as improvised weapons.

The sheer brutality of the art contributes to the difficulties of finding information on it outside of militay sources. After countless hours of research and studying I still cannot find any more information on MCMAP or Line outside of what I wrote. I would love to find a comprehensive list of all martial arts that are included in the systems. Although I can imagine what would happen if the masses are tought how to effectively kill with their bare hands, without the stigma of a gun or knife holding them back in a street fight.  

Hylonomus
Crew

Shin2

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 2:02 pm
In about 5 years I want to join the Navy and am wondering if they also practice Martial Arts.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 3:22 pm
Shin2
In about 5 years I want to join the Navy and am wondering if they also practice Martial Arts.

Well... the Marines are a branch of the Navy. I'm not sure if the Navy teaches martial arts or not, I don't know how useful it would be on a ship. I'm sure all Military branches have some sort of basic form of unarmed combat.  

Hylonomus
Crew

Wolf Nightshade
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 3:34 pm
All branches teach martial arts as part of the training not just for combat reasons but also for the feeling people get from the training it can help make people feel stronger and what not. Most branches train in a mix of Karate, Tae Kwon Do, Jujutsu, Boxing, Street fighting alot of it is old stuff from WW2 and some new stuff. From what I know Navy people box alot but you will learn more than that.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:14 pm
i'll join the military..

so i will be good in fire arms, if i have my fire arms it's the best self defemse... biggrin practicality...

and the hand to hand combat is my last resort. biggrin  

Arunath

kungfudangergirl

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 6:10 pm
Arunath
i'll join the military..

so i will be good in fire arms, if i have my fire arms it's the best self defemse... biggrin practicality...

and the hand to hand combat is my last resort. biggrin
In a sitiuation where you are carrying a gun, it's practical, but just because you are trained to use one doesn't make it the best defense. I know that I never have a weapon on me (not officially anyway). My one Sihing does arms training for whatever students want it, but I never bothered as i don 't even own a gun. I always space on the how to properly slice people open with a knife lessons too. I never carry a knife. Weapons are only good if you have them on you.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 5:01 am
Shin2

My dad used to be in the (English) Navy. They did a lot of boxing and stuff like that, but that was a long time ago.  

Mangafairy

Arunath

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 6:56 am
Quote:
In a sitiuation where you are carrying a gun, it's practical, but just because you are trained to use one doesn't make it the best defense. I know that I never have a weapon on me (not officially anyway). My one Sihing does arms training for whatever students want it, but I never bothered as i don 't even own a gun. I always space on the how to properly slice people open with a knife lessons too. I never carry a knife. Weapons are only good if you have them on you.

heheh... i'm trained in jet kune do.. i just want to have some training in guns...  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 8:33 am
Arunath
Quote:

heheh... i'm trained in jet kune do.. i just want to have some training in guns...

Guns? They are no big deal... more people are killed by knives then guns, so if you are pragmatic then you would study knife attacks.  

Mangafairy

Wolf Nightshade
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:17 pm
I did some research on knife attacks knife attackes are more deadly than gun shots also most attacks are on unsuspecting targets they didn't know there was a knife involved.  
The United Martial Artists Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff