Reply ::Gamer Chicks::
how do you play fighting games? Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

How do you play fighting games?
  Mash those buttons!
  Up, up, forward, down, square, circle, L1, backward, R2, square, square, baby!!
  Who needs combos or mashing? I use any move that works over and over again
  It's not my kind of genre
View Results

daft alchemist

Dapper Dabbler

8,050 Points
  • Overstocked 200
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 9:24 pm
I know there's generally two kinds of fighting game styles of play: using combos or button mashing. I started playing Street Fighter when I was about five, and I didn't even know what a combo was back then. The most I could do with combos was getting Chun Li to kick really really fast.

Well, now that I'm trying to get good with Soul Calibur 3, I've had to start to teach myself to use combos, throws, and blocks. I want to be good enough to at least be a little competition for my boyfriend, and I know he'd love that too. My problem is that I still tend to button mash a bit. sweatdrop I'm getting better though.

So how about you all? smile  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 12:30 am
I button mash when I don't know how to play a game. But I pay attention to what I press so I know what does what. I still can't do B.B.Hood's smiley missile and I know how to do it. Its left and right really fast. gonk But I practice on games alot. Me and my bro do practice mode for hours to get really good at a couple of characters.  

mysticneko

toast in disguise

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 12:39 am
Practice mode.

I remember i got so good at SC2 and Voldo, i would pwn all my friends, and blow though arcade/survival like it was nothing using MAINLY the c stick.

But then i stopped.

Meh, I think almost everyone does/or has button mashed.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 3:29 am
I don't.  

Pirri

Mistagen

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:29 am
I have a tendacy to button mash, sometimes throwing graps and what-not in. I can press buttons very fast and almsot doesn't appear as button mashing. I've attempted to learn combos but it usaully wastes my time and I get killed.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 12:45 pm
If I button mash... I die. Depending though on the character and your own personal style, Soul Caliber games are all really good games for the button masher style. I prefer combos because they do a lot of damage and they're cool to watch.  

MIA3791

dark_kayashi

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 1:12 pm
I hate button smashing, my cousions used to do that and do moves I never knew existed. And it just made me mad cus she didnt have a clue on what was going on. So nah im not a button smasher, far from it. I might not know certain combos by memory and things like that. But I can woop someone with kasumi in DOA now that woooo *shakes head* you just dont know..
Oh and I dont block, never have, just learned how to fight without it 3nodding  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 3:17 am
how newbie are you right now? do u know how to turtle and poke? because those things should be learned first, before combos.  

HentaiTentacleDemon

Questionable Lover

daft alchemist

Dapper Dabbler

8,050 Points
  • Overstocked 200
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 10:32 am
Well, I know how to turtle in RTS's anyway. I'm not sure how that works in fighting games though. I could be doing it, but I wouldn't really know; I've never heard of turtling in fighting games before. sweatdrop I do know how to poke, especially since I'm attempting to specialize with the girl who uses the polearm. I don't remember her name. I start out every match with a good poke and then I usually try to follow up with a good lunge attack while they're still stunned. I'm getting better, even if slowly. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 1:44 pm
I don't like to button mash unless I'm playing a game for the first time and don't know how to do characters' moves and so on. I don't play many fighting games besides Dead or Alive so that's the only one I'm any good at right now.  

bslayer4

Rosemerta

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 3:04 pm
I used to button mash all the time, and I still do sometimes. Especially If it's a new game. sweatdrop But I do what I can to practice combos and stuff. Soul Calibur 2 and Super Smash Bros Melee are the two games I play the most...therefore the ones I'm better at getting combos in... mrgreen  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 3:44 pm
i work on combos sometimes.... then i use them in battle. for ex: use this on Taki from Soul Calibur 2 for Gamecube: >> Y or < Y  

Pi with an E - DF

kurisutaru_annu

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 5:25 pm
I button mash and hope for something cool to happen. I need to learn combos, though.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 5:53 pm
I button mash when I have no idea how to play a fighting game. But then I continue to do that until i figure out some of the combos and go back and do those. Finally when I finally get kind of good with the character I look up some combos and start to use those. It takes some time because i have a horrid memory XD  

Shiama

Sparklykiss

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 6:04 pm
Hmm... If I'm new to the game, I press every button on the controller and mash them up... After that, I go into my repeat phase and do the same thing over and over and over... sweatdrop Then, I start the combo mode... Then it starts over again... I tend to go from all of those... I spend a lot of time repeating the fancy stuff... mrgreen  
::Gamer Chicks::

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff