Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
I still say this would be a good idea.

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

I think...
  It would NEVER work. (Please state reason)
  It might just work... I'm not sure.
  Yeah, that'd be a success. (Please state reason)
  The holy ark-X is comin' to blow it to kingdom come!
  The great flying spaghetti monster would never stand for it!!
View Results

Tenth Speed Writer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 7:52 pm
As soon as space colonization opens up (Mars, Moon, Mars' Moons, etc...), we need to create a colony devoted to scientific research, run by a government which allows for minimal influence from sources other than its' own members. In this place, the citizens would be able to live and function with complete independence from religious or democratic interference. (Yes, I said democratic interference.)

The reason this place wouldn’t collapse under its own resisted weight? “Don’t like it, don’t stay.” A policy that does just what it says. Don’t want to hang around? Ticked at that new chain of laws? Just don't want to be close to the new experiments? Here! Let us pack your bags, pay for your tickets, and sell your home. Because of the “DLIDS” policy, there would be no room for complaint from anyone at all.

This isn’t to say that I’m imagining a totalitarian dictatorship ruling every aspect of peoples’ lives with no voice what so ever; voices from citizens would be heard, of course, but to a much lesser degree than in most democratic nations. Politics and such would still be an issue, but would be an issue of the government alone. No church, no mass mobs, no rebellion.

Of course, we’d have some sort of holy warship come along sooner or later and blow the crap out of it, but meh. =P  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 8:19 pm
Well...I don't think it would be a very well-populated colony. How would you decide who decides what happens on it?  

Lethkhar

Tenth Speed Writer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 8:29 pm
...I dunno.

(Never said I thought it ALL the way out!)  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 10:39 am
It reminds me of communism... And as you can see from many failed attempts, communism has never worked. Ever. I mean, I get what you're saying but people need some room to have other beliefs than just science. Not all people, but most. Allowing religions would be good. For like, morale and stuff. But you'd have to breed tolerance. And I think that the whole barely any democratic influence would probably be the downfall right there. Give people power, and they'll abuse it.  

PickleBoy

Lethkhar

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 7:36 pm
PickleBoy
It reminds me of communism...

What?!? It's nothing like communism!

Totalitarianism doesn't imply communism, and vice versa. Perfect communism, in fact, doesn't even have a central government. It has nothing dictating anyone. It just has regulations that everyone follows in which everyone is equal in both wealth and power.
Quote:
And as you can see from many failed attempts, communism has never worked. Ever.

That doesn't mean that it's not possible. Remember, true democracy has never worked either.

Communism has a bad name because of its failed attempts (Which mostly failed because of greed. Just look at the Soviet Union) But really, it's a very interesting and moral form of government. You should try reading some of Karl Marx's work.

Quote:
I mean, I get what you're saying but people need some room to have other beliefs than just science. Not all people, but most. Allowing religions would be good. For like, morale and stuff. But you'd have to breed tolerance. And I think that the whole barely any democratic influence would probably be the downfall right there. Give people power, and they'll abuse it.

I wholeheartedly agree. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 7:37 pm
It could happen, but in the end we might be run by people who are..... *shivers* super uber christian in the end.  

Zwiebelsaft!

Cherry Picker

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 7:56 pm
Personally, I think something like the syndicalism that was fairly succesful in Argentina awhile back would work quite well. Everything is public property, knowledge and machines alike. You couldn't make anything like a virus because there would be several other people in the same room as you, and they'd relise what you're doing. Science Advances best in an open enviroment, which is why Linux is vastly superior to Windows. Nice challange to the people, and the scientists. In a science centric society, all the timwe spent following stupid celebrity triva would be used pursuing mathematics, physics, biology and whatnot, Thus the peer-review prosess benifits from the extra eyes added to the pot. Research is faster because of a faster and more efficent peer-review prosess, And the research can be implimented faster because there's no need to meddle with patents when everything falls in the public domain.  
The Main Discussion Place

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games