Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reply Counseling Room - Share your experiences and give advice to help witness Christ in your life.
Drinking alcohol... A sin or not? Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Caterham_Paladin
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 11:27 pm
I believe that alcohol cannot hurt a person if used in moderation and was a gift from God. In the past alcohol was a safe form of refreshment that didn't have the problems of parasites and disease.

However we no longer need alcohol to keep our drinks sanitary and many people everyday drink themselves sick or even to their death. I beleive that drinking is not a sin no matter your age or faith. It is all in how you drink.

I have belonged to many churches and denominations in my life and it seems that many think that drinking is a sin. What is your opinion?  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 2:40 pm
Drinking, like sex, is veiw as a sin for some wierd reason. Yet in the bible we find many places where both happen and is not a sin.  

rockmanx

Lithanus
Captain

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 6:36 am
Some churches also like to make up rules like, you can't go to hevean if you don't belong to this denomination. It doesn't mean its true. These rules come from people who have a lot of power and/or popularity and don't have a true understanding of God's intentions, then make some opinion that everyone else soon believes as fact. In reality, what the bible says is a sin, is a sin, and what doesn't fulfill God's intentions for us is a sin. As far as alcohol goes, drinking in moderation does no harm to yourself or anyone around you, therefore by fulfilling the law of love, is not a sin. Drinking in excess untill you are very tipsy or very drunk, you are destroying your body and sometimes hurting others, by not fulfilling the law of love, this is a sin. The problem here is a lack of active thinking in "believers", which in return are swayed by these seeming to be true untruths.  
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 9:43 am
I don't and will never drink, but that's just because I can't even stand the smell of the stuff. I'm not really sure what I would say in the end as far as approving or disapproving - I guess it's ok if you drink a little, but I don't really see the point. If you're just doing it for fun and you put other people in danger because of it, then it's definitely wrong.  

Amaris Morven

Yuki no Yoru

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 1:53 pm
What about communion? We drink alcohol during that. Jesus turned the water into wine, if drinking was a sin I'm assuming if it wasn't he wouldn't have done that. Also, red wine has health benefits. I know there's some verse I the bible saying being drunk is wrong but other than that I think drinking is ok (as long as you're over 21 if you live in the US).  
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 11:24 am
Yuki no Yoru
What about communion? We drink alcohol during that. Jesus turned the water into wine, if drinking was a sin I'm assuming if it wasn't he wouldn't have done that. Also, red wine has health benefits. I know there's some verse I the bible saying being drunk is wrong but other than that I think drinking is ok (as long as you're over 21 if you live in the US).

Most churches where I came from (AR = the center of the bible belt) say that jesus drank grape juice not wine and he turned the water into grape juice... Welches for communion in AR, but now I live TX where they serve margaritas during service. xd

Also, Amaris, alcohol is an aquired taste but I think beer and certain other types of alcohol are simply for getting drunk and not for the flavor or aroma. Sake is on of my personal favorites and it is mostly about the aroma and the relaxation of the body.

I do understand your views... I used to think the stuff was disgusting because I had only tried beer and been around beer drinkers. Now I know alot of people who drink for the flavor, aroma, and relaxation.

I my self am a "social" drinker... anytime some says they'll have a drink I say, "So shall I!"  

Caterham_Paladin
Crew

Yuki no Yoru

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 2:20 pm
Caterham_Paladin

Also, Amaris, alcohol is an aquired taste but I think beer and certain other types of alcohol are simply for getting drunk and not for the flavor or aroma.
Well I'm German (Bavarian) so you just offended me technically xd  
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 7:49 pm
Is drinking a sin?...Jesus turned water into wine! What do you think?!  

toobitten2

Caterham_Paladin
Crew

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 8:22 pm
Yuki no Yoru
Caterham_Paladin

Also, Amaris, alcohol is an aquired taste but I think beer and certain other types of alcohol are simply for getting drunk and not for the flavor or aroma.
Well I'm German (Bavarian) so you just offended me technically xd

I am almost full blood german but I do not consider most german beers to be beer. Beer to me is budweiser, miller, Cold piss in a Can, etc. I do like imported beers.  
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 1:26 pm
Caterham_Paladin
Yuki no Yoru

Most churches where I came from (AR = the center of the bible belt) say that jesus drank grape juice not wine and he turned the water into grape juice... Welches for communion in AR, but now I live TX where they serve margaritas during service. xd

Also, Amaris, alcohol is an aquired taste but I think beer and certain other types of alcohol are simply for getting drunk and not for the flavor or aroma. Sake is on of my personal favorites and it is mostly about the aroma and the relaxation of the body.

I do understand your views... I used to think the stuff was disgusting because I had only tried beer and been around beer drinkers. Now I know alot of people who drink for the flavor, aroma, and relaxation.

I my self am a "social" drinker... anytime some says they'll have a drink I say, "So shall I!"
I from the bible belt and I don't know how many idiots claim that it was grape juice not wine.

Now cetain wines do require a taste for it but most people drink it at meals and at special parties. Beer is something people drink to be drinking, not for taste. My co-worker said she use to drink beer and it tasted terrible until after the thrid beer. Most people drink beer to get high or wasted. The effects very from person to person. Personaly, I can't stand the smell.

rockmanx

eguitarfreak

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 5:32 pm
i think drinking is only a sin if you get drunk. In the Bible Jesus and the disciples drink wine all the time. so no its not a sin if you just do it sometimes and dont get drunk.  
PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 10:49 am
As an individual, all things are lawful for us but if you are intoxicated, you severely inhibit your ability to be a witness for Christ. If you asked the Apostle Paul he would say you shouldn't. God wants us to be sober in our thoughts. what do you think people think when they see a Christian so plastered he can't stand? that Christian has ruined his witness. We are called to be seperated unto God, and not drinking is one way we can show we are not of this world.

The other thing to ask is whether or not you are over 21. At least here in California and back home in Oregon, the drinking age is 21 and if you are under that age you are sinning. You are going against the rules God has placed you under in this country. God wants us to submit to authority, even when we dont think it's that big of a deal.  

The Samurai
Vice Captain

The Samurai
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 10:52 am
Oh, and by the way... I'm phen.. it's been a long time since I've been on, Bible College is turning out to be a little more hectic this semester.. sorry guys! mrgreen  
PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 2:49 pm
The Samurai
Oh, and by the way... I'm phen.. it's been a long time since I've been on, Bible College is turning out to be a little more hectic this semester.. sorry guys! mrgreen
It nice to see you again. biggrin  

Lithanus
Captain

rockmanx

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 4:31 pm
The Samurai
As an individual, all things are lawful for us but if you are intoxicated, you severely inhibit your ability to be a witness for Christ. If you asked the Apostle Paul he would say you shouldn't. God wants us to be sober in our thoughts. what do you think people think when they see a Christian so plastered he can't stand? that Christian has ruined his witness. We are called to be seperated unto God, and not drinking is one way we can show we are not of this world.

The other thing to ask is whether or not you are over 21. At least here in California and back home in Oregon, the drinking age is 21 and if you are under that age you are sinning. You are going against the rules God has placed you under in this country. God wants us to submit to authority, even when we dont think it's that big of a deal.
The age to legally drink in 21 in all 51 states.

I agree that being plastered does not help one bit and can make you depented on achool. But as for some one who drinks a glass of beer or wine with a meal, I have no problems.

Counseling Room - Share your experiences and give advice to help witness Christ in your life.

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games