Submit

Did you believe in santa?
  yes
  no
  Still do...
View Results

blackiza

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 6:21 pm
Why must the world be like this? how can I fight it and my protect my (future) children from it?

Christian-Easter is the celebration of Crist dying on the cross for our sins

World-Easter is the celebration of spring and the Easter bunny gives gifts of eggs filled with candy

Christmas is the celebration of Christs birth in a humble stable

Christmas is the celebration of winter and a jolly santa claus gives us gifts if we were good

Obviously there is a large difference in these two events and it will be easier being born into a Christian family in defining it. But its not that easy, children dont percieve things for what there are. A fat jolly man giving free stuff and lighting your house withe decorative lights is obviously more exciting than celebrating a God that is mysterious and hard to percieve. (as in the bible thomas (a grown man) couldnt believe Jesus had rose untill he saw him with his own eyes)

Also, I was watching an episode of the boondocks the other day and a girl had a dream where she was preaching in a church about santa dying for our presents and rising from the dead to distribute them to girls and boys everywhere. It surprised me, and shocked me, and scared me a little too, that a girl in a christian home could have been poisoned to the extent of mixing her beliefs into something totally different altogether.

So i ask to you... how can i define these "holidays" for my kids? how can i prevent the world from poisoning them with excitement? i ask of you....  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 6:54 pm
.......nothing  

blackiza

sammy002

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 11:48 pm
well i think ... can still give then easter eggs at easter ... and just explain to them the reason for the holiday in the first pace and yeah (thats the reason we have this holiday) ... but it also depends on your childrens age ... so yeah ... i think that if u could came u with/make craft that repasents the meaning of it in a fun way

~~don't wheather thats help ... not shore how creative u are either... but u could always ask the sunday shool teacher at your church for same crafts ... and yeah ... there would be story books same where that u could read to ur children~~

~@~ hope i was of same help ~@~

!!ALL THE BEST!!

--->>>the best toll would be praying to god ... how u could tell them about easter TRUTHFULLY ... and give them the correct meaning that god wants/wayto be told

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 7:05 am
First of all, this guild moves slowly, so don't expect a response to your topic right away.

Now for your questions... You don't have to raise your kids to believe in all the garbage the world projects, but you don't have to make them feel like they're missing out, either.

On Easter Sunday itself, they can still have candy and go on Easter Egg hunts. A friend of mine bought the plastic eggs, put a piece of candy in each one, as well as a Bible verse that had something to do with Christianity. You could put little religious articles in the plastic eggs as well - a cross necklace, cross earrings, etc. Something to tie the true purpose of the season into Easter. After all, Easter is a celebration. So there's nothing wrong with expressing a form of celebration by giving candy to kids. But, the Easter Bunny has no place in it. You could just explain that the Easter Bunny is a way other people celebrate Easter, but not how you choose to.

And, you could also play games with them or fun activities thast emphasise the meaning of the season, like sammy said. For example, you could have them make cookies, but not let them eat them for an hour, to emphasize temptation and sacrafice. Things like that.

For Christmas, be sure that the meaning and significance of the birth of Jesus is emphasized. And explain that since God gave the world the gift of His Son because He loves us, we can give gifts to our family because we love them. It isn't about Santa Claus... although you can explain the life and story of Saint Nicholas to them, who was the basis of Santa anyway.

In short, it'll be okay if you express that commercializing these Holy Days like the world does is not needed. But that doesn't mean the fun and celebration need be taken out of them.  

Ablazed
Captain

Debate and Discussion

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces