User ImageUser Image
Tawa didn't consider himself a pessimist, but he certainly felt like one recently. Ever since the decision had been made to spread out and search for the herds that usually made their way to the Bonelands an ominous feeling had been clogging up his chest, making him feel uneasy. He had gone on a few short scouting missions with some of the lionesses that wished to help but didn't care to go alone but they hadn't found much. Each excursion left the lionesses leaner and leaner and each small mouthful of meat Tawa shared made him feel guilty. That food could have gone to one of the lionesses, the life of the pride. He was helping as best he could, but he was also a huge lion who needed more energy to keep up his strength than the average female. He was a resource drain and as much as he wished to stay and continue to help, he knew the only way he could really assist the pride he had come to call home was to leave it.

It wasn't an easy decision to make and it was with a grim face that he sought out Faust to tell him of his decision. The Umholi wasn't hard to find and it was hard to miss how slim he was getting as well. Usually the Abholi had first pick of the kills but Faust had been letting those that were traveling take the first bites. It was tough times for all involved and seeing Faust in the state he was in only solidified Tawa's resolve.

"Umholi Faust," he said as he approached, bowing his head briefly towards the smaller lion. Faust gave a little nod in greeting but remained silent for the time being, true to his nature. Tawa had been around the other male long enough to know his mannerisms and didn't waste time waiting for a verbal reply to launch into his semi-prepared speech.

"Things aren't looking much better," Tawa began, his tone a bit dreary but resolute. "We've been searching for a scrap of a clue as to where the herds have gone and come up with nothing. At least, I've not been of any assistance in finding anything worth reporting or investigating. I'm a drain on our limited resources and I just can't reconcile my lack of production with how much I'm taking from a deserving lioness."

Faust listened to Tawa, his brows raising as it became clear as to what the larger male was getting at. He didn't stop him though, letting him say what he needed to say. Tawa paused for just a moment to gather his thoughts before pressing on.

"I've given this quite a bit of thought and though I do care for the pride, I can't in good faith stay while I know I'm giving nothing to the pride and only dragging it down. I'm leaving, Faust. Not because I'm giving up, but because it seems it's the only way I can help."

He finished and hung his head, not wanting to admit defeat even though he knew this was truly a way he could help. It still hurt to leave the one place he'd been happiest in his life. Faust, for his part, remained silent as he turned the statement over in his mind a few times. He could see that it was a hard decision Tawa had made, but one that that he wouldn't change his mind over. He let out a little sigh but nodded in agreement, understanding where the Ahluke was coming from.

"A noble sacrifice, Tawa," he said in his monotone voice. "I know it's hard and were things different I would ask you to reconsider, but perhaps this truly is the best course of action." As valuable as the Ehluke could be, in situations like the one the pride was in they really were the first that would have to go if things continued to get more dire. Perhaps Tawa would be a good example for the rest of the Ehluke and they too might disperse if food continued to remain scarce.

Tawa grimaced slightly as Faust agreed with him, a tiny part of him having hoped the Umholi would disagree and ask him to stay. Faust was very practical though and Tawa knew he'd be able to see the merit in Tawa leaving. Perhaps this truly was for the best, not only for the Bonelands but for Tawa as well.

"Should I see anything as I leave I'll try to send word somehow," the red lion offered as he lifted his head, locking eyes with the Umholi. He couldn't help but feel a bit of resentment towards the Abholi - he knew none of the catastrophes that had happened recently were their fault, but at the same time he couldn't help but feel as if they hadn't really done much to try to secure the safety of the pride. They'd ridden it out and it seemed that things were fine, but that was clearly not the case now. If they'd been more proactive perhaps they could have realized the herds wouldn't - or couldn't - return.

But it was neither here nor there now. Tawa had made his decision, Faust had agreed to it, and it was time for him to go. The Umholi shifted his weight and lowered his head in a bow of his own, surprising Tawa enough that he took a few steps back.

"The best of luck to you, Tawa'shilah. May you find prosperity wherever you end up."

"Thank you," Tawa said after a few moments of stunned silence. He flicked his tail back and forth before turning to go, but after taking just a few steps he turned back to glance at Faust once more.

"Take care of them. They all need a strong leader now more than ever before." Faust blinked slowly at the bold words, though he supposed Tawa was no longer a subordinate and he could say what he wished. Hadn't they been taking care of the pride this whole time, he and the other Abholi? Perhaps not to the degree Tawa thought they should, but that didn't matter now.

"Go, Tawa. Let's make it a peaceful exit."

Tawa narrowed his eyes at the subtle threat, but he gave a small nod and turned to go once more. He was no longer welcome here by the Abholi since he was no longer an Ahluke, so his retreat was steady and swift. Faust watched him go until he couldn't see the speck of red amongst the brown of the savanna. Only then did he sigh and shake his head. Something felt off about the whole situation, but there wasn't much to be done about it. Instead he turned to head back to the center of the pride, looking for his fellow Abholi to inform them of Tawa's departure.

WC: 1150